You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Broken Sword geek :P

Send a message via MSN to mariusmal
Default Mental Blocks

first of all sorry if anyone oppened a thread similar to this one. i searched in the forums first.

when we play and adventure game we became stuck in puzzles and situations that seem impossible to us.. but after some chair destruction we realize it was sooooooooo simple and we destroy another chair. everyone has different mental blocks... so i am asking ppl to comment about their funny or stupid situations in games.

mine was in the first Broken Sword. where you find that goat inside the castle. i spent 5 days trying to find a way to get past him... burned my brains.. lots of cigarettes. then i just clicked by accident and solved it. i felt so stupid really.

Broken sword zone. news articles and info about the saga including broken sword 4 of course. http://www.bszone.tk/
(thx from all the staff)

any adventure gamer who wants to chat. feel free to msn me
Old 02-23-2007, 03:46 AM   #2

I think I've mentioned it before in some other thread, and it's not strictly an adventure game, but in the old Amiga classic Metal Mutant I was stuck for ages in one particular spot.

Your character can change into three different robotic forms (humanoid, R2D2-type, and dinosaur with supplementary remote-control fly), and each form has multiple capabilities, so there's always the question of which form and which capability will do the job at hand.

In this particular room you are practically nose-to-nose with an enemy that breathes fire or plasma or something at you. There is just enough time to change to dino-form and switch on the dinosaur's force field shield. (ooh) The problem is that you can't do anything but stand still while the shield is on, and as soon as you turn it off you get fried. All you can do is release your tiny remote-control fly, but all that can do is fly around.

It was my husband, Colin, who said:

Spoiler:
"What's that little thing up there on the wall?" Yep, it was a switch, a tiny button. Press it with the fly, the floor opens up beneath the enemy, and that's that.

Col's never let me forget that he solved that one. Especially since he's not even interested in games.

Last edited by Davies; 02-23-2007 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:52 AM   #3

Another one in Metal Mutant occurs when you have to go through a canning machine to get to the next part of the game. When you come out, you're just a tiny tin can with legs! And there's a manic Swiss Army knife that chases you around and tries to open you. Hilarious to watch, but I kept getting opened, which is lethal.

Spoiler:
The solution is just to keep moving. Eventually the "can" wears off and you return to normal form. You can then either kill the Swiss Army knife, or just walk past it.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:08 AM   #4

In Evidence: the Last Ritual there's a puzzle that gives you the first letter of a series of words, you need to fill in the rest of the words to continue. I spent days pouring over the internet, trying to figure out that the words could be. I connected the initial to Dante, tried several false leads about what they might represent, smoked endless packs of cigarettes...
Spoiler:
finally I just typed the initials into google as they were and found the exact link I needed..
ARGHHHHHH!

Another one that got me, but good was in Broken Sword 2 where George and Nico are trapped in a warehouse. George spent ages combining weird inventory items, trying to lift a heavy statue, meanwhile I am muttering to myself, "this is so stupid and illogical... why doesn't Nico just stop wandering around and give him a hand??" FINALLY.. I had the good sense to click on Nico and George says, hey, can you give me a hand with this? I felt so stupid. I found that a lot with the Broken Sword games, that often I was tripped up because the puzzles were straighforward and logical when you least expected them to be. I guess I shouldn't have played it right after Runaway 2!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
I think I've mentioned it before in some other thread, and it's not strictly an adventure game, but in the old Amiga classic Metal Mutant I was stuck for ages in one particular spot.

Your character can change into three different robotic forms (humanoid, R2D2-type, and dinosaur with supplementary remote-control fly), and each form has multiple capabilities, so there's always the question of which form and which capability will do the job at hand.

In this particular room you are practically nose-to-nose with an enemy that breathes fire or plasma or something at you. There is just enough time to change to dino-form and switch on the dinosaur's force field shield. (ooh) The problem is that you can't do anything but stand still while the shield is on, and as soon as you turn it off you get fried. All you can do is release your tiny remote-control fly, but all that can do is fly around.

It was my husband, Colin, who said:

Spoiler:
"What's that little thing up there on the wall?" Yep, it was a switch, a tiny button. Press it with the fly, the floor opens up beneath the enemy, and that's that.

Col's never let me forget that he solved that one. Especially since he's not even interested in games.

that happened to me also. not in that game but in some otheres that i cant remember. i was stuck for ages.. and someone pointed to me "what does that button in the wall does ?" ARGHHHHH i felt so stupid, but now i see that it is normal to everyone

Broken sword zone. news articles and info about the saga including broken sword 4 of course. http://www.bszone.tk/
(thx from all the staff)

Old 02-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusmal View Post
when we play and adventure game we became stuck in puzzles and situations that seem impossible to us.. but after some chair destruction we realize it was sooooooooo simple and we destroy another chair.
Hm. When I get stuck, it's never my fault. Okay, sometimes it is. As I've mentioned before, I was beating myself over not seeing the solution to the underground maze in Myst. Otherwise, I can't think of anything that made me think like that. For instance, if I had been in this situation:
Quote:
mine was in the first Broken Sword. where you find that goat inside the castle. i spent 5 days trying to find a way to get past him... burned my brains.. lots of cigarettes. then i just clicked by accident and solved it. i felt so stupid really.
I wouldn't have felt stupid. I would just have been furious at the developer for making it so unclear where you were supposed to go.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I wouldn't have felt stupid. I would just have been furious at the developer for making it so unclear where you were supposed to go.
that's also true. the puzzle isnt very intuitive. but in so many days i was supposed to find an answer, that's why i felt stupid.

(thx from all the staff)

Old 02-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusmal View Post
that's also true. the puzzle isnt very intuitive. but in so many days i was supposed to find an answer, that's why i felt stupid.
I have to confess I only give my mental blocks one day and one night of trying. I often see things in another light after having slept. But if I'm still stuck I usually check some UHS hints. I'd rather get on with the game than grinding my teeth over it.

One of those puzzles I really, really wanted to solve on my own was the lockpick in Still Life. Didn't make it though.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I have to confess I only give my mental blocks one day and one night of trying. I often see things in another light after having slept. But if I'm still stuck I usually check some UHS hints. I'd rather get on with the game than grinding my teeth over it.

One of those puzzles I really, really wanted to solve on my own was the lockpick in Still Life. Didn't make it though.
yes. but when i played the game for the first time, internet wasnt so widespread like it is nowadays. so i didint had internet and the source for walkthroughs were gming magazines. i playedBS 1 when it came out on the shops

(thx from all the staff)

Old 02-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #10

There are times where I'll be stuck on a puzzle, so I search for hints. I find out I was supposed to use a certain item, but I just know I had already used it before, but I find out it was in the wrong way or I just didn't click in the right spot.

Then there are those puzzles I come across where I get a hint for and the solution seemed so illogical I wonder how anyone could have figured it out.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:22 AM   #11

A really embarrassing one for a geek like me was in Phantasmagoria 2. At one point you need to check your e-mails, but can't get to your desk. The only computer you can get to is the one belonging to your boss.

That had me chewing the carpet for WEEKS, and eventually I was forced to look at a walkthrough. Duuuhhh...

Spoiler:
You hit "Log Out" on your boss' computer and then log in with your own name and password.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwapitm View Post
Then there are those puzzles I come across where I get a hint for and the solution seemed so illogical I wonder how anyone could have figured it out.
i wondered about that myself many times.

(thx from all the staff)

Old 02-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #13

hahahh, I remember that BS puzzle, damn tough one. I guess the brain does lock itself sometimes, and sometimes I do sleep it over
Old 02-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGz View Post
hahahh, I remember that BS puzzle, damn tough one. I guess the brain does lock itself sometimes, and sometimes I do sleep it over
one more victim of the goat from hell

(thx from all the staff)