You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
Girl Next Door

Default Sound Question

I have been meaning to post this for a while, but got sidetracked. Do you think that having a sound track improves a game, or do you think it would be more effective to just go with ambient sounds.

Of course, not all sound tracks are created equal, some are looped, some are just plain bad. But do you have an opinion one way or the other? Why?

Caring about the blogosphere one badly spelled post at a time.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #2

I prefer ambience in most games, but there is something about adventure games and platformers where I like to hum along as I play( only the goofy ones like Monkey Island and such) just to calm my nerves on a specific puzzle that makes my mind bleed....
Old 02-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I think it depends on the game, and on the context within the game... just like a film or play or TV program. You don't want a full on score for every story, or even for every scene within every story. But, like, with a cartoon type adventure game... if you look at most actual cartoons, there's a full soundtrack that's timed out to accent(uate) every action, every pause, every joke, every dramatic moment. From something like Looney Tunes to The Incredibles to Anime. In an adventure game that follows that style, I think of course you'd want an appropriate soundtrack. Or, if your game is a period drama, you might want big sweeping moments filled with big sweeping period music, but at other times, you might want nothing other than the characters' voices and some ambient background sound.

Having hard and fast rules about these sorts of things - especially in story and character based genre like the graphic adventure - seems misguided. I like good soundtracks when they fit the game, but I also really like it when a game can create moments or moodsthat hinge on other storytelling and atmospheric tools besides leaning on the soundtrack.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

I think a soundtrack is a good thing to include- assuming the music is competently written. Ambience is a must-have...basically, anything that aids in the telling of the tale and the setting of the mood. I think some games, such as And Then There Were None would have suffered for lack of a soundtrack.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Having hard and fast rules about these sorts of things seems misguided. I like good soundtracks when they fit the game, but I also really like it when a game can create moments or moodsthat hinge on other storytelling and atmospheric tools besides leaning on the soundtrack.

Fully agreed. I'm a total audio whore, admittedly ( ), but as with everything, it really depends on the game and its situations and what it's trying to achieve. That means an appropriate sound can't be just music, or ambient sound. It can even be something as simple as silence. I'm also a big fan of Eric Brosius (former Looking Glass, now at Irrational Games), that guys basically the sh*ts. The mesh of brooding noise and subtle melody he put into the "Thief" games is deeply fascinating. At times you can hardly tell if it's ambient stuff or music at all, only further upping the tension of the experience.

But yes, audio in general is really important. Looking at most games, I'd even say its potential impact is vastly underrated.

Quote:
if you look at most actual cartoons, there's a full soundtrack that's timed out to accent(uate) every action, every pause, every joke, every dramatic moment.From something like Looney Tunes to The Incredibles to Anime. In an adventure game that follows that style, I think of course you'd want an appropriate soundtrack.
Even though it's hardly ever been used for narrative and emotional purposes in a way like for example an old Hanna-Barbera toon does, I miss dynamic soundtracks and iMUSE, escecially since games aren't just movies, but more dynamic and... interactive.

Last edited by samIamsad; 02-22-2007 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
Girl Next Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I like good soundtracks when they fit the game, but I also really like it when a game can create moments or moodsthat hinge on other storytelling and atmospheric tools besides leaning on the soundtrack.

I like the way you put that. In my experience those types of sound tracks are just not often found in many adventure games. More often then not I find that it is just some form of looped sound that doesn't really provide the type of atmospheric experience you are talking about. In that case I would rather they just go with ambient sounds.

Caring about the blogosphere one badly spelled post at a time.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
The Major Grubert.

Count me amongst the "depends" folks (no jokes about diapers, please).