You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42
Default AdventureCon

Didn't see a thread about it here, and was wondering what people think?

http://www.adventurecon.org/
Old 02-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #2

It honestly doesn't look very interesting. The site alone is pretty off-putting as to the quality of the event.

According to the calendar, each day is basically "talk about Zork", eat lunch at the buffet, "talk about Leisure Suit Larry." They're really grasping at straws here.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Banned User

Yeah I don't see anything I want to go to.
Looking forward to: Operation Wintersun, Simon The Sorcerer 4
Gonna play next: Kings Quest 6 or Gabriel Knight 1
Old 02-26-2007, 04:57 AM   #4
Implementor

Default AdventureCon Registration Now Open

!!! Hello, Adventurer !!!

We're proud to announce AdventureCon -- the first ever adventure game convention of its kind in the United States.

Confirmed guests include Scott Adams of Adventure International and Al Lowe of Leisure Suit Larry fame.

More guests and many more events are planned. Come join us in Las Vegas for a fabulous time!

We just opened up early registration for attendees and exhibitors. Now would be the best time to sign up and save money.

Hop over to http://www.adventurecon.org and start exploring.

Howard Sherman
Implementor of Malinche - http://www.malinche.net
Implementor of AdventureCon - http://www.adventurecon.org
Old 02-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
Implementor

Default Jane Jensen Appearing at AdventureCon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post

http://www.adventurecon.org/
Stepping into the shoes of the casual gamer I'd be forced to agree that AdventureCon looks like a glorified ZorkFest.

Until tonight, that is.

Zork will be honored as a seminal work in in the history of adventure games but AdventureCon is an all-inclusive event covering every aspect of the adventure game universe.

To that end, Gabriel Knight's Jane Jensen will be participating at AdventureCon as a guest of honor. Factoring that in the equation, AdventureCon can be safely considered an adventure game event that every species of adventurer can enjoy.

At this point, skipping AdventureCon would be voluntarily bowing out of history in the making.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Under pressure.

I'd be more interested in a Adventure Developer conference. Talking about adventure game design with industry vets.

--Erwin
Old 02-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
I'd be more interested in a Adventure Developer conference. Talking about adventure game design with industry vets.
Yeah, me too.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

I think this is a neat idea, and one that is a long time in coming. This is something I would probably be interested in doing, since it seems like a good way to promote my stuff. First conventions are always iffy, though. Unless they are spending lots on promotion. I'm doing some asking around.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #9

I too think this is a great idea... but very iffy since it's the first one. But I might take a gamble and go...
Last Half of Darkness: Tomb Of Zojir
Old 03-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
Wading down the amazon

Send a message via MSN to makini

Too bad I have my butt on a chair over in Sweden, otherwise I would've joined you guys
Old 03-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
Under pressure.

I probably would've joined if some of the people I 'know' here would come too. Meeting forum regulars in person is a little ackward, but fun! (Meeting industry vets is even cooler, of course.)

--Erwin
Old 03-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #12
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Default AdventureCon?

Anybody planning on going to this? It's apparently a Las Vegas fan event for adventure game fans and developers! There's a link to info about it in Al Lowe's CyberJoke newsletter this morning.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42

I was wondering the same thing here:
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ad.php?t=18962
Reactions seem lukewarm.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:48 PM   #14
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

whoops, sorry. I should've looked closer at the topics list before posting.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #15
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Have you checked the prices?

Yikes!
Old 03-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #16
Implementor

Default AdventureCon - New Lower Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune View Post
Have you checked the prices?

Yikes!

I've been hearing a lot of feedback about price and I'd like to clear the air about this so everyone understands and appreciates the pricing structure.

First let me say that even at the old price of $299 a good number of people leaped into action and bought their tickets the day they went on sale.

In case you missed it, AdventureCon ticket prices have dropped 20% in the past week. Thanks to major participation by an adventure game publisher, the entire cost structure of the event has shifted. AdventureCon tickets are now just $239.

In case anyone is waiting to buy their ticket in hopes that prices will drop again let me say here and now -- $239 is the rock bottom price. It is impossible to get the pricing down any lower without losing money on every attendee.

If you're of the mind that the new reduced rate of $239 is still a lot of money for a gaming show ticket let me remind you of something that is crucial to understanding the value we're delivering here.

Every attendee is fed breakfast and lunch both days and attends three different evening receptions where even more food is served. Every catered event delivers a wide array of hot and cold food offerings. I invite everyone to check out the planned menu on the AdventureCon FAQ page --

http://www.adventurecon.org/adventureconfaq.htm

Why are we including food and beverage in the price? Because that's how it works for exhibition space in Vegas. If you want space at any major hotel on the Las Vegas strip then food and beverage is an unavoidable part of the equation.

And if you look at the menu you'll quickly realize that every meal is a three course meal of gourmet quality. No fast food. No French fries. Not a single bowl of potato chips will be seen anywhere near AdventureCon. You're not paying good money for cheap food.

We're giving every attendee more than their money's worth in every possible way.

Even if we were able to sell AdventureCon tickets at $49 each (which we aren't), everyone attending would still need to eat during their stay. So we're bringing the food right to the adventurer and we're making sure it's some of the best food available.

AdventureCon is a quality event. Starting right at the hotel -- The Mirage is a world class resort -- to the superstar status of every guest of honor to the food we're delivering -- AdventureCon is a top-of-the-line event and we're not cutting any corners. I don't want it said that the first Advnture game convention in US history was a cheap, underwhelming event with nothing really interesting.

Just one more time -- AdventureCon is a first class event operating at the highest standards of quality.

And quality costs money.

All things considered, $239 is a stunning deal. We've added new guests, workshops and events in the past two weeks. And we're not even finished. I invite everyone to revisit the AdventureCon website at http://www.adventurecon.org, look everything over and reconsider the tremendous value.

Dare I say it but the $239 we're asking for AdventureCon may be the biggest bargain of your life.

Adventurers may never get another chance to be up close with Al Lowe, Jane Jensen, Scott Adams and Chris Jones, play a live-action adventure game, see an adventure game museum displaying thirty years of adventure game history and check out all the biggest players in the adventure game world all in one place. Plus we're giving away stuff every hour.

Heck, I'd pay that kind of money just to hear ONE of our honored guests mumble in their sleep! Better than that, each of these adventure game legends will take the stage and talk to you on top of signing autographs.

See you in Vegas!

Howard Sherman
Implementor
Malinche Entertainment
http://www.malinche.net

Last edited by Random; 03-25-2007 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Added signature/tag line at the bottom of the post.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #17

Chris Jones live ftw!! Wieeee....

But....why so crappy webpage? I wouldnt spend that amount of money with this quality of advertising.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #18
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

I just made my reservations!!! WOOT!!!

*jumps up n down excitedly, until Summer*
Old 03-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
I can be wrong, but I think the event will perpetrate the notion that adventures are "old/dead stuff".

US$240 to see people talking about old games and to try games that already have online demos doesn't seems to be a good deal...
Old 03-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #20
QFG

Intriguing...