You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sam & Max looking good

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhaleonQ View Post
...that it will be anti-Bush. It's written by the writer of Curse Of Monkey Island (the best Monkey Island, in my opnion), and he keeps a weblog. He's politically apathetic and not very knowledgeable, but he's virulently anti-Bush.
Wait, Ackley and/or Ahern are writing Sam & Max episodes and have a blog?

I guess you're referring to Ron Gilbert at grumpygamer, who has as much to do with Curse of Monkey Island as he does with writing for the new Sam & Max episodes. ie. Nothing.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #42
Friendly Server Admin

I think he's referring to Chuck Jordan, who's doing a bunch of writing for episode 4
Old 02-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30 View Post
Wait, Ackley and/or Ahern are writing Sam & Max episodes and have a blog?

I guess you're referring to Ron Gilbert at grumpygamer, who has as much to do with Curse of Monkey Island as he does with writing for the new Sam & Max episodes. ie. Nothing.
He's talking about Chuck Jordan; I think GhaleonQ is too caught up in the political tumult that is going on at his college (which happens to be the one that Chuck Jordan attended), and is reading too much into the coincidence of an old alumnus writing for an episode that pokes fun at politics.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #44

Ahh, right. I didn't know Chuck wrote CMI, hence my confusion.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #45
marsan

anybody know if sam & max - season 1 or any other games from telltalegames will be released on anything else than PC, like xbox360, ps3, wii... or cellphones... or as an interactive telephone game(sam is standing there and there... move sam? Press [1] to move sam)... perhaps as an advanced board game?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #46

*noticed Numble's post at Spectrecollie* Oh, he went to the University Of Georgia, apparently, not Dartmouth. I was mostly just posing a question of political intrigue to him to find out his views.

I wasn't trying to put him down, as "Curse Of Monkey Island" is my favorite Lucasarts adventure game. I just considered that knowing his political ideology (none) ahead of time would give me an extended preview to the game. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, as I was merely extrapolating from his own political beliefs.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #47

Ah yeah--I guess I just got confused because you randomly name-dropped your school (usually only done randomly if the addressee also went there, in a "Hey, I'm going to the school you went to!") and because Chuck responded back with a "Worst of luck in your studies at Bizarro-Dartmouth!"

Also a little bit of my own experience with such political issues at ivory towers leaking into my assumptions (A superfluous amount of accusations that political ideology color every action made by professors, administrators, janitors, alumni, etc).

But back to the issue at hand--marsan, I think some people here know about Sam and Max's future, but are unwilling to say so (yet).
Old 02-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #48

Once season 1 is complete I'm sure we'll hear more.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsan View Post
anybody know if sam & max - season 1 or any other games from telltalegames will be released on anything else than PC, like xbox360, ps3, wii... or cellphones... or as an interactive telephone game(sam is standing there and there... move sam? Press [1] to move sam)... perhaps as an advanced board game?
Well....
Telltale were recently (still are?) hiring for a Wii developer, and given the amount of people telling them to put S&M on Wii I'd say it's a definite maybe!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #50

While Telltale Games is creating a game for the Xbox 360 (ugh) now, I really doubt that it will be similar to their previous projects.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #51

Why would they drastically alter what they already know how to do, to make something completely different?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30 View Post
Why would they drastically alter what they already know how to do, to make something completely different?
Maybe because what they "know how to do" involves making 1.5 hour "episodes" and selling them for $9 a pop. You could only do that for so long before people catch it and get pissed(the people who preordered for example, expecting more).
Old 02-22-2007, 11:16 PM   #53

GhaleonQ: A recent podcast interview with Dan Connors seems to have him imply that the console companies are courting Telltale especially because of the idea of regularly distributed episodic content--probably for XBox Live Arcade and the Playstation Network. The small size of the episodes (66-70mb an episode for Sam and Max, for example) would seem to fit with the small file sizes for downloadable games on these console systems (they would even fit on a memory stick). So it looks like the hiring of an Xbox 360 programmer is more to port such episodes to the console, instead of working on some action-oriented button masher that you might get from a "regular" (RE: non-downloadable) Xbox 360 game.

Dan Connors also seemed to imply in that interview that, on the Wii side, you might see a full-fledged non-downloadable game released (compilation of episodes) since the Wii's distribution system (and nonexistence of a hard drive) is lacking.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #54

"GhaleonQ: A recent podcast interview with Dan Connors seems to have him imply that the console companies are courting Telltale especially because of the idea of regularly distributed episodic content--probably for XBox Live Arcade and the Playstation Network. The small size of the episodes (66-70mb an episode for Sam and Max, for example) would seem to fit with the small file sizes for downloadable games on these console systems (they would even fit on a memory stick). So it looks like the hiring of an Xbox 360 programmer is more to port such episodes to the console, instead of working on some action-oriented button masher that you might get from a "regular" (RE: non-downloadable) Xbox 360 game."

Don't misunderstand. Clearly, that's what both companies have done (and should do) in order to take advantage of the arguably throw-away nature of download-only games. However, http://www.telltalegames.com/company/jobs career openings' only solid indication of such a move is the final requirement.

"Dan Connors also seemed to imply in that interview that, on the Wii side, you might see a full-fledged non-downloadable game released (compilation of episodes) since the Wii's distribution system (and nonexistence of a hard drive) is lacking."

Yes, I've read that that's been fully confirmed, if not announced.

On a side note, I'd like to recant my comments about Sam & Max: Episode 4's politically-tainted plot and dialogue. I was worried, but he did everything that he needed to do without political pandering. I applaud the work.

Also, I'd just like to compliment you on your intelligence. It's been fun chatting.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #55
Friendly Server Admin

We haven't announced or confirmed anything for the Wii or any other system, so please let's not start spreading any rumors.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #56

Don't worry--I make sure to couch all my words in wussy qualifiers with things like "imply," "seems," "looks like," "might," "seems to imply," etc.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #57
Friendly Server Admin

I know, I was talking to GhaleonQ
Old 02-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow9d9 View Post
Maybe because what they "know how to do" involves making 1.5 hour "episodes" and selling them for $9 a pop. You could only do that for so long before people catch it and get pissed(the people who preordered for example, expecting more).
Only people who are silly enough not to do research on what they're purchasing before they put their money down. It was absolutely no secret that Sam & Max games were going to be around the 1.5 hour mark (in fact, for most people they're significantly longer to play through). And the people who preordered got a good saving over the $9/episode for individual episodes.

You're annoyed at telltale because they delivered exactly what they said they were going to deliver?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:00 AM   #59

Quote:
Don't misunderstand. Clearly, that's what both companies have done (and should do) in order to take advantage of the arguably throw-away nature of download-only games. However, http://www.telltalegames.com/company/jobs career openings' only solid indication of such a move is the final requirement.
Actually, the feeling I get is that all their main requirements indicate that they are looking to port existing products to the Xbox. To me, most of the items on the hiring requirements read like they are more indicative of wanting someone to port existing components instead of creating something entirely new. If they were to create something entirely different and Xbox focused, I'd think they'd need to hire more Xbox specific programmers. And besides, the subtle implications of the Telltale CEO in an interview (that I mentioned earlier) seem to lean a lot more towards this.

Quote:
* Migrate core components of D3D based PC game engine to the Xbox 360
* Implement additional platform specific features
* Modify and support existing art and production path to accommodate Xbox 360 production
* Contribute to the design and direction of Telltale Technology and products.
The last point (Contribute...) seems to indicate that it is a lower priority for the new hire to make any major changes from the status quo ante.

Quote:
Also, I'd just like to compliment you on your intelligence. It's been fun chatting.
Well, that's a really random and confusing remark... I don't know if that's a compliment or a sly insult. Guess I'm not smart enough to figure that out--I didn't attend Dartmouth after all...

Spoiler:
...though plenty of people who were rejected from my school ended up going to Dartmouth, heh heh heh...

Last edited by numble; 02-24-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #60

Well, Telltale customers certainly were surprised today.