You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #41
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
He's best known for doing the concept art for Grim Fandango and the world concept art for Psychonauts (and was also an artist/animator on games like MI1, MI2, S&M, etc.)
And a ton of design and background art in Monkey Island 2 along with Purcell, if I'm not mistaken?

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 02-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #42
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
If there are action and puzzles in equal parts, and there is no exploration ... then it is a mess
LOLOLOL. By far the best thing I've read on here in ages.
Peter Chan was one of the lead artists on Day of the Tentacle, quite possibly the best adventure game ever made.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:02 AM   #43

Well, I expect this game to be fantastic.

The art style looks marvelous, those guys actually manage to make 3D cartoon graphics look stylish instead of childish and kitsch overladen, something I don't see very often. The story sounds very LucasArts.

And I don't mind action in games as long as the action sequences don't become too long and tedious as is the case in pure first-person shooters. But judging by what Mike Levine says, they'll include dialogs and little investigation puzzles and tie everything into the plot, so I don't see they danger of it becoming too heavy on action.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:08 AM   #44
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
And a ton of design and background art in Monkey Island 2 along with Purcell, if I'm not mistaken?
Indeed. I mentally filed that under "artist/animator".
Old 02-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #45
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

LucasArts alumni guys doing a new adventurish game, sign me the feck up!

This game went to my maug list instantly.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #46
tsa
Playing character

I read the interview but I got the same feeling I always get while wathing the extras on a DVD, in which the director or an actor or whoever had something to do with the movie tells you how it's the best movie they ever made, fantastic story, special effects, etc. etc. I don't want to spoil the fun, but I think being overly enthousiastic about a game that isn't even out yet is a recipe for disappointment. Remember Paradise? Of course I'm also very curious, but I think I'll keep my head on and wait for the game to appear on the shelves (virtual or real).
Old 02-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #47
Under pressure.

Quote:
P.S.
Just about anything by A.C. Doyle or Agatha Christie?
What about the father of all detective TV-Series: COLUMBO? I've never seen a car chase or cop shootout there either.

--Erwin
Old 02-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #48
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Actually, his double-takes would be timed button press action sequences. Press too late and he'd just walk out the room
Old 02-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #49
Super Moderator

Of course I don't see how people getting excited for this game (knowing who the designers are) are any different than those who are very excited about Jane Jensen's new game, Gray Matter, precisely because it's Jane Jensen. That's why they're called fans.

And tsa, there could also be a niche within the niche of adventure gaming called Buddhist adventure gaming (no expectations, no worries).
Old 02-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #50
gin soaked boy

Honestly, I don't give a damn who's involved in making this game and I don't care whether it will have any adventure elements or not. I like the concept art and the teaser video, that's enough for now.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #51
Homer of Kittens

I'm just not sure about their marketting decision to go with a PC version without any consoles. In this day and age, for any non-MMO, RTS or FPS type of game, this is usually retail suicide. But I still wish them all the luck.

Firefox rules
Old 02-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #52

I couldn't bring it to myself to get excited about this game. The teaser seemed mostly like some basic character animations in front of some concept art drawings.

That being said, I never expected much from Psychonauts and about 6 months on I still think about it every once in a while (I still listen to the OST often, so if Peter McConnell is providing the soundtrack, I'm buying the game for that reason alone).

Don't get me wrong, the more of these action adventures the better, being a lifelong console gamer I'm more used to fully controllable characters, shooting and platforming, this type of game always gets my juices going.

I'm interested, but I agree I would like game developers to release in-game footage during the announcement of a new game. The City of Metronome wouldn't have won my vote if it weren't for the screens on their site... I wonder if that game will ever come out...
Old 01-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #53
Headbanger

After reading the interview I'm a little more excited about this game (strange, huh? ). Any idea about when it will come to Europe?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #54
Third Guy from Andromeda

Henke,

The PC version will be downloadable, so I would hope it would be accessible in Europe upon release.

--Josh
Old 01-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #55
Headbanger

It will not be released in stores? Hmm, I see.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #56

The DS version will of course be released in stores, and a retail release of the PC version is at least planned.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #57

I'm a little confused about which version to buy - will the DS version ruin the PC version, or the other way around?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #58

Hm, while I'm excited about the game I will probably wait for the retail version.
I buy games online, but I don't want to just download them.
It's probably an emotional thing.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #59
Vigilant

I have seen some screenshots of recent and the visuals still look unrefined and uncompleted. Luckily, the game IS uncompleted so hopefully they will touch up on them in the future.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #60
Custodian of the Skull

Okay guys, in what can only be an attempt to get one up on Adventure Gamers' own interview get you the best information about the games you want to hear about like Insecticide, the International House of Mojo has just posted a new giganto-interview with Michael Levine & Larry Ahern of Crackpot!

Hear them talk about their LucasArts days, Insecticide, the adventure genre, storytelling and design, sound and art, and much more! Enjoy!