You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Fan-translation of a console Adventure nearing completion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Snatcher42
Default Fan-translation of a console Adventure nearing completion

Hey guys, hope this doesn't sound like spam. It's been awhile since I last posted, but some recent news has brought me back! Some of you may know that my favorite adventure game ever is Snatcher for the Sega CD. Here's an excellent review: http://jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu/~bfrazer1/gamecritics/.

The game was created by Hideo Kojima, the man behind the Metal Gear series. But before going on to create Metal Gear Solid, he produced a "spirtual successor" to Snatcher on the Playstation and Saturn called Policenauts. It's not exactlly a sequel, as the plot's unrelated, but it features the same immsersive adventure gameplay. Unfortunatly, I've never been able to play it, as it was never translated from Japanese.

My friend Marc Laidlaw has been working on his own translation of the game since 2002, and now he's finally finished! With the help of the webmaster of junkerhq.net, he's started a site about his project, where he hopes to soon release a "patch" for the game, allowing everyone to play it with English subtitles. Needless to say, I'm very excited, and wanted to share the website with all of you!

Check it out:
http://policenauts.net/
Old 02-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #2

Oh wow! this is such great news, I've been waiting for something like this for god knows how long.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #3

The same Marc Laidlaw who writes the Half-Life series? Or is that a coincidence?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville View Post
The same Marc Laidlaw who writes the Half-Life series?
Hah, no, though I'd never noticed that connection before, so your observation made me do a double take and actually ask Marc. Funny thing is when he first played Half-Life, he says, he thought the game must have scanned his computer in someway and inserted his name into the credits!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #5

I was reading about the patch and I'm a bit confused on how it will work. You need a copy of the PSX version of the game, an emulator, the translation patch, and the Japanese PSX BIOS, is that it?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #6

I heard about this yesterday, and let me say I'm truly excited. I've been waiting for a translation of Policenauts ever since I first played Snatcher 7 years ago, and now it's finally happening. Bring on the patch!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville View Post
I was reading about the patch and I'm a bit confused on how it will work. You need a copy of the PSX version of the game, an emulator, the translation patch, and the Japanese PSX BIOS, is that it?
That's what you'll need to run it on your PC, yes. If you have a Playstation capable of playing Japanese games, then you can rip the game, patch it, then re-burn it for playing on your TV the way it was meant to be.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:43 AM   #8

fan-translations are getting crazy. I mean...not only policenauts, but fans finished the behemots that Tsukihime and Wind are Incredibly impressive.

and now they're alrady 30% done on Fate/Stay Night? Crazy
Old 02-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #9

There was an article on this game in 'Retro Gamer' last month - how cool that a translation has come out.

Is it worth playing Snatcher first or are they not especially related?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFlesh View Post
There was an article on this game in 'Retro Gamer' last month - how cool that a translation has come out.

Is it worth playing Snatcher first or are they not especially related?
Snatcher's a fantastic game, but the only relation between the two is the fact that Hideo Kojima made them. Snatcher is an homage to Blade Runner, whereas Policenauts is more of a Lethal Weapon.

Last edited by Thello; 02-11-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #11

Thanks for posting this, looks good!

Will be a nice one to try out on the PSP