You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #1

Default Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

Hey, this game is now available to download, *but* the price is wrong on the company's website. Instead of $39.99 (US) it is 39.99 (Euros), which is $51.90 today. Metaboli is fixing the page and is working on partial refunds, so if anyone else had this happen contact [email protected].

It took several e-mails and screenshots to get them to acknowledge their mistake, but they seem to be on the right path.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Schättenjager

39.99!whoa,consider the production values and dated graphics doesnt worth more than 19,99$
Old 01-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
OUATIJ Creator

This is really upsetting me. I want to buy this game, but I want to pay $39.99 US for it. Like it claims to be. But still, when you go to the confirmation page, the US $ changes to EUR 39.99. I hope this isn't some intentional strategy. That would be very improper to say the least.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:40 AM   #4

I just received a EUR 10.00 refund, bringing the price in line with the advertised price. And I'm surprised that they haven't changed the site yet.

Something else that might be worth mentioning, once you download the game, you receive a serial number which will unlock the game three times (meaning, installing on 3 computers, or uninstalling/reinstalling). Once the serial number has been used up, you can contact the company for another one. Is this standard for downloadable games?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosky View Post
Something else that might be worth mentioning, once you download the game, you receive a serial number which will unlock the game three times (meaning, installing on 3 computers, or uninstalling/reinstalling). Once the serial number has been used up, you can contact the company for another one. Is this standard for downloadable games?
They have 5 at Telltale. You can contact them after if you use them up. I don't know about anyone else.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Roar?

I picked up The Awakened this weekend. I'm only a tiny bit into it and already I'm annoyed at some of the design choices. Arh. The font on documents you collect is TINY. I have to squint and practically press my face to the monitor to read them. I can't imagine how someone with middling to poor eyesight will read them. Another annoyance is that it seems that hardly anything in the game universe is interactive. We're talking sub-Syberia levels of interaction here.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
Schättenjager

Definately worse than silver earring.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post

I didn't think so. I actually liked this way better than Silver Earring. I ended up thoroughly enjoying this game. I love being able to download games from the internet. It's true that there is minimal interaction with objects but you can still observe your surroundings quite thoroughly by just wandering around, which I did. It wasn't perfect but it was plenty long enough. A couple of the puzzles were but I solved almost all of them on my own and I felt a sense of accomplishment after solving them unlike Dreamfall or Tunguska.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #9
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
And worse than Mystery of the Mummy? Because that must be a kind of achievement.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:46 AM   #10
Schättenjager

Beforementioned about poor graphics and mechanics but for the script, Lovecraft amalgamation making Holmes so outlandish thats why found worst than S.E.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #11

wow I loved Silver Earring, disliked the new one I could only play 20mins before I screamed and ran away from the computer.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #12
Your average crooner

Today in Spain for 6 euros. And the game? Boring as ever.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #13
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

Um, thank you for stopping be from buying that game.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #14

The Awakened is a very good game.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #15
Super Moderator

What did you like about it smulan?

I'm getting the game. I'm a sucker for Sherlock Holmes and I've had fun with the previous entries.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #16

I liked this game a lot. The story was interesting and few, if any, puzzles were illogical. It also mixed up the pacing and threw in little surprises here and there to keep the player on his toes. It was far from perfect (what game is) and I did have some technical problems with it here and there. But overall, I'd give it an 80% or so.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #17
Your average crooner

It is boring. The characters are plain, the dialogues have no intelligence, wit or interesting information, the puzzles are mundane or without enough logic, there is a lot of pixel hunting, the mystery is not that a mystery, you don't really want to know what happens, and it is insanely slow. And the engine is blatantly annoying. Feets under the EA Sherlock games, and again, marginally better than the previous Frogwares game.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #18

I loved the Silver Earring, because it felt like an elaborate Holmes novel and was done quite well, in my opinion. The Awakened? I don't know. The first thing you encounter are the dark art design and disturbing imagery (during the installation/autostart), which already felt kind of inappropriate. I also think the game feels very empty, with but a few people in those huge streets and no animation whatsoever. Of course, Silver Earring made a "stiff" impression, too, but it didn't present that fact so freely. Also, although I have only played for a little bit (I'm currently at the docks, about to "seek" entry into the warehouse), I - albeit not really a fan of first person games generally, anyways - found the navigation quite tedious. There is no interaction with the environment available whatsoever, except for mandatory tasks, and the ambiguity and lack of direction actually left me hanging several times already, despite the short playtime. For instance, Holmes inquires which part of London a person could come from, judging from certain evidence, and although I had the right idea, I did not know if I had to write down the profession or direction or whatever (really, I had no idea about London boroughs, being a native German, and had to guess from a variety of names a book provided me) or I had to work at the lab table and always got the same response, not knowing what the game wanted me to do. Did I mention the navigation is killing me? Long, senseless paths to go, a complete lack of immersion and no response from the game world?
I do not mind the graphics (while I must admit that I got a headache from searching the bookshelves in the story; seriously), and I like the sound, but I think the Awakened has so far not one bit of the charm Silver Earring had, everything feels too detached. The only plus was how I was reminded of the novels when I searched the manor's backyard for various clues, was allowed to tape measure on my own and use the magnifying glass to find suspicious objects. I will probably keep playing it, but it feels frustrating so quickly and fails to immerse any way Silver Earring could (aw, I love third-person).

Would anyone be so kind as to enlighten me how far the story is appropriate for the Holmes universe? Is it a mystery after all as we know it from Doyle (or Silver Earring), or is it more about the Cthulhu mythos and basically just borrows from a famous franchise or rather two to gather attention?

[been a long time since I posted]
Old 03-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson View Post
It is boring. The characters are plain, the dialogues have no intelligence, wit or interesting information, the puzzles are mundane or without enough logic, there is a lot of pixel hunting, the mystery is not that a mystery, you don't really want to know what happens, and it is insanely slow. And the engine is blatantly annoying. Feets under the EA Sherlock games, and again, marginally better than the previous Frogwares game.
I fully agree, I felt exactly like you. Way too boring, I never felt I would like to go back to it, after playing a couple of hours.

I uninstalled it, just after I was caught by the nurse in the jail and when I resumed, the game brought me back to the beginning of the chapter, still as Watson. I had not saved recently, because nothing in the game was telling so far that you can die.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #20

I thought that it was way better than silver earring just because Sherlock was less of of a jerk. In silver earring he was rude to everyone.

I also liked the atmosphere of awakened better, in silver earring i just drifted off and I really didn't even care what happened, but this time I was more intersted in the characters and the storyline