Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Still life site back up ? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/18522-still-life-site-back-up.html)

nl4m 01-17-2007 10:10 AM

Still life site back up ?

If you were to go to the official Still Life site it would never develope. Now when you go to it, it says that the site is "under constraction" !!! Can you believe it ? This is a GREAT sign !!!!! I don't want my imagination to carry me off, but this gave me alot of hope for Still Life 2. Maybe, by now, Ubisoft bought the rights to the game :)

http://www.stilllife-game.com/

P.S. Sorry if the news is late.

DEMON 01-17-2007 10:31 AM

wow, I do believe you are right
I would love to see another Still Life :P

Lucien21 01-17-2007 11:03 AM

If it was a sequel it would have a 2 in the title.

I seriously doubt there will be another one.

Tiocfaidh 01-17-2007 12:06 PM

*Fingers crossed*

but I seriously doubt it ;(

Lee in Limbo 01-17-2007 01:43 PM

Now that would be really cool. I really enjoyed that game, and would love to see the story continued, or at least finished. Heck, even getting a functioning website up that helps to get some closure on the original game would be good at this point. But a sequel would be optimal.

QFG 01-17-2007 02:58 PM

BIG time doubt it.

There are many options here besides a return of the original site. The lease on the still-life.com name could've run out, and that's the standard message for all websites on that server / etc. Or it could've been bought by a collective of artists who sell still life oil paintings. I mean, really, the possibilities are enormous.

There is really zero evidence that it's the original developers / designers / anyone related to the adventure game we're thinking of. We're going in with a biased point of view.

Let's hope, though, if a sequal DOES occur, that it somehow concludes the botch-job of an "ending" that the first iteration made us suffer through.

nl4m 01-17-2007 03:02 PM

^ I don't know much about business. But I don't think it would be likely that an oil painting seller would buy a site with the name "still life game" in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh (Post 382182)
*Fingers crossed*

but I seriously doubt it ;(

Yes, but considering that we had no news from the game maker. The site coming back up is the next best thing. To me it means that the storyline was sold and things are getting back on track. A site to come back to work after 2 years (?) has to mean something good.

The shocking part is that I found it on the *first* page on google.com :) It most be getting popular.

GarageGothic 01-18-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QFG (Post 382277)
There is really zero evidence that it's the original developers / designers / anyone related to the adventure game we're thinking of. We're going in with a biased point of view.

Actually, if you do a whois search (at http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/) there's pretty good evidence. The domain is registered to Microids in Montreal and doesn't expire until 04-Feb-2008. Let's hope a possible sequel has better writing than the first game (I don't care if they didn't have money to finish it - I saw no indications throughout the game that the developers had any idea of where the story was going).

ScarletFiend 01-18-2007 05:36 PM

Even if there isn't much evidence from the site, it has raised my hopes a little. There really should be a sequel that finally concludes what happened in the first game and keep some of the elements that made the first game so great.

Nautilus 01-18-2007 05:47 PM

Don't be fooled. All Microids websites are down for months now (including Syberia websites, etc):
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...d.php?p=365918

Whitebirds Productions (Syberia developers) has answered my email about that, saying they can't do nothing about that. Ubisoft (Microids owner) don't have any interests in adventure games anymore, nor any old Microids titles.

These sites are gone forever. :(

nl4m 01-19-2007 01:41 PM

Thank you GarageGothic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nautilus (Post 382560)
Don't be fooled. All Microids websites are down for months now (including Syberia websites, etc):
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...d.php?p=365918

Whitebirds Productions (Syberia developers) has answered my email about that, saying they can't do nothing about that. Ubisoft (Microids owner) don't have any interests in adventure games anymore, nor any old Microids titles.

These sites are gone forever. :(

Ubisoft is into adventure gaming. They were the ones that made the most famous adventure game ever, Myst. They were the one that made "Stupid invaders", too. What sounds weird to me is that someone would update their website just to lie that it was under constraction. The other weird thing is that Ubisoft DOESN'T own the "Still life" franchise. I think that Microids (France) owns it, or maybe the game maker himself. The only thing I heard from Ubisoft was that them bought the name "Microids". Not the games.

Or maybe The Adventure Company bought the game themselves. Maybe someone bought it, anyone.

nihil 01-19-2007 02:47 PM

Anaconda/DTP is publishing a new Special Edition of Still Life in Germany the next weeks, although they were not the original distributor here if I remember correctly. Maybe they plan something :-)

(yes, I like rumours :-) )

Solid Snake 01-19-2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nl4m (Post 382812)
Thank you GarageGothic.

Ubisoft is into adventure gaming. They were the ones that made the most famous adventure game ever, Myst. They were the one that made "Stupid invaders", too. What sounds weird to me is that someone would update their website just to lie that it was under constraction. The other weird thing is that Ubisoft DOESN'T own the "Still life" franchise. I think that Microids (France) owns it, or maybe the game maker himself. The only thing I heard from Ubisoft was that them bought the name "Microids". Not the games.

Or maybe The Adventure Company bought the game themselves. Maybe someone bought it, anyone.

You're all wrong.Stupid Invaders is made by Xilam and Myst is made by Cyan Worlds.Ubisoft just published these games and it's not into adventure games at all.Also the games' rights are also belong to Ubisoft with the company.By the way Myst is definitely not the "most famous adventure game ever".

Jackal 01-19-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
You're all wrong.Stupid Invaders is made by Xilam and Myst is made by Cyan Worlds.Ubisoft just published these games and it's not into adventure games at all.Also the games' rights are also belong to Ubisoft with the company.By the way Myst is definitely not the "most famous adventure game ever".

:crazy: Ubisoft did develop Myst 4, and since they actually fund the adventures they publish, they have far more right than most publishers to declare themselves "into" adventures over the last few years.

And I don't even think it's debatable that Myst is the most famous adventure ever. Nothing else even comes close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarageGothic
The domain is registered to Microids in Montreal and doesn't expire until 04-Feb-2008.

Since that studio no longer exists, it's no evidence of a sequel even if they were privately trying to support the original game by reviving the website. It'd be nice if the latter were true, however, since the game is still readily available.

Stalin 01-20-2007 12:54 AM

the Microids site - www.microids.com also states Web Site Under Construction nad the domain expires 27-Feb-2008 .The Syberia 2 site - www.syberia2.info also states Web Site Under Construction and the domain expires 19 Aug. 2008 . The Microids site database was last updated ot 22 Dec. 2006.The Syberia 2 site database was last updated 30 Oct. 2006.I do not know what that is supposed to mean , but I hope it is something good .
:devil: Stalin

charmed23 01-20-2007 01:03 AM

Stalin, thanks for the info. Ya, I really wonder who updated those sites' database and what for.

Solid Snake 01-20-2007 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal (Post 382977)
:crazy: Ubisoft did develop Myst 4, and since they actually fund the adventures they publish, they have far more right than most publishers to declare themselves "into" adventures over the last few years.

And I don't even think it's debatable that Myst is the most famous adventure ever. Nothing else even comes close.

I meant the first Myst game you smartass.Monkey Island is definitely more famous than Myst, capiche?

Kurufinwe 01-20-2007 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 383017)
Monkey Island is definitely more famous than Myst

For what it's worth, the Internet seems to think otherwise.

(and in case anyone's wondering, the tone's not appropriate, regardless of who's being addressed; but we're dealing with that in private)

Jackal 01-20-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 383017)
I meant the first Myst game you smartass.

Attitude aside, to clarify for the equally misinformed, I didn't say you weren't talking about the first Myst, did I? I was simply correcting your point about Ubisoft not being "into adventure games at all." Unless of course you think developing Myst 4 and funding others is a sign of their apathy towards the genre.

Quote:

Monkey Island is definitely more famous than Myst, capiche?
Not even close. Not in name recognition, not in sales, not in longevity, not in any noteworthy way. And that's ignoring the fact that "Monkey Island" is a series, not a game.

Anyway, since Ubisoft (nor Myst or Monkey Island) has nothing to do with the future of Still Life, back to our regularly scheduled programming now.

sodapop 01-20-2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurufinwe (Post 383024)
For what it's worth, the Internet seems to think otherwise.

(and in case anyone's wondering, the tone's not appropriate, regardless of who's being addressed; but we're dealing with that in private)

Yeah, that’s not really relevant at all. The last monkey island was years ago; so few people have reason to google it now-a-days. Plus, anyone that was googling either game would just be looking for hints anyhow, so the only thing it might prove is that Myst is the harder game, if that.

However, I wouldn’t doubt that Myst was more popular, on a worldwide scale. Very artsy, if you like that kind of thing.