Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   AG Soundtracks (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/18485-ag-soundtracks.html)

Havrepus 01-15-2007 07:51 AM

AG Soundtracks

One of the things with adventure games (other games too, but AGs especially) is the soundtrack. In addition to being a player, I am also a collector. And I love listening to music when I am not playing games. I am trying to find (and thus getting my hands on) soundtracks from other games than the ones I already have. Any good suggestions to what is out there and worth buying?

So far my collection includes:
Myst and Riven (Robyn Miller)
Music from Uru (Tim Larkin)
The Longest Journey Oroginal Soundtrack (Lagim/Linløkken)
Dreamfall - The Longest Journey (Leon Willett)
Treasure Quest (J.M.Gnant)

Kurufinwe 01-15-2007 08:09 AM

I've got a rather big collection of adventure game music on my hard drive, either from soundtrack CDs or extracted from the game. I'm very fond of the music from the Myst/Uru series (3 composers, with different styles, but all great). My favourite CDs (though both hard to find now) are Dune and The Neverhood. 7/11 (music from The 7th Guest and The 11 Hour) was nice; but I found The Last Express soundtrack CD rather disappointing (very short, and a lot fillers with just a few memorable tracks). And I'm in a Kheops mood at the moment (but they don't sell the soundtracks, so the music has to be extracted from the games).

(I've moved the thread to Adventure; please say so if you really intended it to be in General)

Havrepus 01-15-2007 08:20 AM

That's right! I had completely forgotten. CD2 of the 7th Guest contains the soundtrack (thanks for reminding me!). Is it the same for 11th Hour? I also have bits'n'pieces extracted from the games (like some of the Zork games and Tex Murphy - those songs sung by Richie Havens are just wonderful!), but it doesn't look as good on a HD as on display on a shelf.

Kurufinwe 01-15-2007 08:29 AM

No, it's a different CD, with music from both games.

Havrepus 01-15-2007 08:32 AM

This one is definitely going into my collection. Thanks for the link!

bysmitty 01-15-2007 08:57 AM

The Big List of Adventure Game Soundtrack CDs:
7th Guest / 11th Hour
A Quiet Weekend In Capri
Al Emmo
Arrangement
Atlantis -Lost Tales
Atlantis 2 -Beyond Atlantis
Barrow Hill
Comer
Deleware St. John
Discworld Noir
Dig
Dragon Lore 2
Dreamfall
Faust
Gabriel Knight Mysteries
Grim Fandango
Horizon
Inca
Inherit The Earth
Jack Orlando
Journeyman Project 3 -Legacy Of Time
Last Express
Longest Journey
Lost Eden
LucasArts, Best Of
Moment Of Silence
Myst
Myst 3 -Exile
Myst 4 -Revelation
Myst 5
Neverhood
Nite Cafe
Quest For Glory 5 -Dragon Fire
Pyschonauts
Riddle Of The Sphinx
Riven
Schizm -Mysterious Journey
Scratches
Shivers 2 -Harvest Of Souls
Sierra Soundtrack Collection
Tex Murphy -Overseer
Tex Murphy -Pandora Directive
Treasure Quest
Uru -Ages Beyond Myst
Zork -Grand Inquisitor

More info about most of these can be found on my website www.pcgamesoundtracks.com.

Also, I am in the process of selling off the collection so PM me if you see any you are interested in purchasing.

...bysmitty

Havrepus 01-15-2007 09:05 AM

That's an impressive list! It would all depend on the money (I assume these CDs are all in good working order), but I'll think about it, and contact you if I find something really interesting.

Rapp Scallion 01-15-2007 09:07 AM

Wow! Isn't the soundtracks from the games pretty expensive?

Fien 01-15-2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurufinwe (Post 381438)
My favourite CDs (though both hard to find now) are Dune and The Neverhood.

The Neverhood songs, that is Imaginarium, which includes the Skullmonkeys music CD, were rereleased by the band. They sold it on ebay for a while, not anymore apparently. But it's on their web site, $20. www.danielamos.com

bysmitty 01-15-2007 10:19 AM

The only reason some are expensive is due to rarity. Many of these CDs were only pressed in quantities of a few hundred and many of developers have since gone out of business. There are many collectors all over the world and some of them have very deep pockets for the hard to find ones. Of course, there are many common CDs too that can be found on eBay almost weekly.

...bysmitty

crabapple 01-15-2007 01:53 PM

I see you're missing the Faust soundtrack.

Havrepus 01-15-2007 02:07 PM

What is that music like? Aside parts of the music from Uru, one of the best pieces I've ever heard (maybe it's because I miss it so much every time it's a long time since i've heard it) it that opening theme from Zork Nemesis (that eerie "it began on the day of my murder", or whatever it is she says theme). Anyway, that's the kind of music I am really looking for and hope to find more of.

Melanie68 01-15-2007 02:11 PM

Faust music is Jazz and Blues :) :)

The one song that just stuck out to me (because I adore her voice) was sung by Sarah Vaughn. :z

But there's also Stan Getz and John Lee Hooker and others.

Havrepus 01-15-2007 02:22 PM

That sounds nice! I'm not a big fan of too experimental jazz, but I do listen to quite a bit of blues. Thanks for the tip Melanie!

edit: I actually have that game hidden somewhere in a box from some time back. I never got around to actually playing the game for some reason or other. I guess I'll have to dig it out.

Terramax 01-15-2007 03:25 PM

I used to be quite a big computer game soundtrack. I used to spend up to £100 on a really rare CD (I was hardcore), but I've sold almost everything as there are places I wanna go and people I wanna see. I still download a number of soundtracks/ game rips though. I recently found a way to rip Curse of Monkey Island and Broken Sword 1 & 2.

I don't listen to just AG soundtracks, but many are good. Myst 3 and 4 still blow my mind.

My current favs are Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Panzer Dragoon Saga/RPG, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, Ridge Racer Type 4, Broken Sword and I'm sure a few others.

I'm currently listening to the Broken Sword rips and 'Whispering Rock' from the Psychonauts soundtrack.

And just you wait when I get the main theme tune to the 'Murder on the Orient Express' game.

Fien 01-15-2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabapple (Post 381548)
I see you're missing the Faust soundtrack.

And he missed Barrow Hill... :crazy:
And he doesn't reply to PMs although he invites people to send them... :pan:

Jelena 01-16-2007 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fienepien (Post 381621)
And he doesn't reply to PMs although he invites people to send them... :pan:

Have patience! ;) bysmitty is a really nice guy. He'll get back to you.

jannar85 01-16-2007 06:03 AM

I'll get back to you all with my AG soundtracks, as I've got a few to mention. I'm a collector as well :9

Davies 01-16-2007 04:56 PM

The second CD-ROM for Harvest of Souls (Shivers 2) is almost all taken up by the song tracks. There's only one data file. So I wasted no time in making an audio CD without the data track, and it's one of my favourite music CDs.

I'm very tempted by that 7th Guest/11th Hour soundtrack CD, but I've just spent a pile of money on a magic tricks DVD set, so I'd better not.

bysmitty 01-17-2007 09:30 AM

I apologize for the delay in getting back on the PMs. It has been a busy week and I need to see what soundtracks I've sold already and which ones I have left. I will get back to everyone who PM'd me very soon.

Also, yet I forgot to add Faust and Barrow Hill to the list. I'll add them right away. Thanks for the corrections.

...bysmitty