You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Mon 8th January 2007

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #1

Default Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Mon 8th January 2007

Hehehe.

I remember reading somewhere that some Discworld fans were slightly disappointed that the two "funny" Discworld games (especially Mortality Bites) felt more Python-y than Discworld-y. The use of Eric Idle as the voice of Rincewind, and scenes such as this one, may give ground for that opinion, but, having never read a Discworld novel (yeah, feel free to pan), I can't really comment. Anyone care to elaborate?

On a more general note, I'll really have to replay that game someday. I remember it as horrendously big and hard (though possibly not as much as the first), and funny as hell (though insanely long-winded), but I have very few precise memories of it.

(oh, and: no singing in this thread, please )

(and no whistling either)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-08-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Interesting... I remember Discworld II being really, really easy .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:52 AM   #3

I remember playing Discworld II and Discworld Noir without having read a single discworld book. Now that I've read some I don't remember much about the games so I can't compare.

I remember this was a hard game at the time , and very funny!

And just to add, I've read the 7 first books: Favourite so far is Sourcery followed by Mort and closely by Pyramids
Old 01-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #4

This reminds me of the original Discworld. I remember playing it on the PS1 and there being a horrible bug in that you couldn't save to the memory card. Kind of hard to beat the game when you can't save eh?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Elegantly copy+pasted

Discworld II (the only one of the games I played from beginning to end) wasn't very much like the books, no. What I've played of the first seems closer.

Doing it as a cartoon seems less and less appropriate as Pratchett moves more and more towards "serious" literature. (And, in fact, the book covers have moved towards a somewhat more realistic style, though that's mostly due to Paul Kidby taking over after Josh Kirby's death.)
Old 01-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #6

Well, Pratchett has a definite Python'esque feel, but the dialogs in the games are a bit more surreal than Pratchett's dialogs, and as such may be closer to the Monty Python's style.

But franckly, this is splitting hair (I'm talking about the first one mostly, since I haven't played Discworld 2 is a long long time - oh, and I had the french version ).
Old 01-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
Master of time and space

The living breathing stench is one of my favorite items ever!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I think a lot of Pratchett's humour is in his narrative, making it very hard to capture in a video game/tv program etc. I love this game though, becausefor me it does manage to get his style of humour across, which probably appears python-esq as it's probably one of the only ways you can put across the funny ideas in his books in a visual way. Didn't he contribute to the dialogue anyway?

Love that scene though, which is obviously very python as it's a rip-off of "Life of Brian", and not anything from the books. All three games are superb, but Discworld Noir is probably the closest to the books in style despite not being based on any of them.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!