Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Do you think ? Part: Lucasarts (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/18391-do-you-think-part-lucasarts.html)

Ps3Lover 01-07-2007 07:21 AM

Do you think ? Part: Lucasarts

Do you think that the company lucasarts will ever make a new Adventure game ?
if no, why ?

I personally think they will go back to the roots.
but not in the way of traditional point-a-click adventures, but more storystelling polygon games ?

jacog 01-07-2007 07:49 AM

That's pretty easy to figure out... let me go check outside for you...

.... I am back ... nope, didn't spot any flying pigs. :P

Seriously though, the genre generally referred to as the "adventure game" is not considered financially viable anymore to a big corporation like that. My personal feeling is that, in order for this to change, the way these games are marketed has to change. Do interesting things with it, and then hype it as something innovative. Microsoft do it all the time... they put some feature in their OS that their competition has had for ages, and then market it in such a way that to the gullible masses, it seems like it's something new and special that they invented. (The aero-glass experience?? pffff, please)

Perhaps the genre name itself needs to be rethought too.

Hammerite 01-07-2007 09:13 AM

no, all of the lucas arts original staff are gone.
it's a different company, the only connections they have are the odd staff member, the copyright ownership (unfortunately), and the name.
besides, who cares?
there are other games around, you know.

Gabe 01-07-2007 09:44 AM

For adv. gamers ,Lucasarts gone,sierra gone,microids gone
now we got(the what left) ?

Melanie68 01-07-2007 10:46 AM

Kheops

Telltale

The loads of independents (Jonathon Boakes, Augustin Cordes, Dave Gilbert, I'm sure there's more that I can't remember off the top of my head)

:)

Intrepid Homoludens 01-07-2007 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ps3Lover (Post 379047)
I personally think they will go back to the roots.
but not in the way of traditional point-a-click adventures, but more storystelling polygon games ?

No, unless they want to go bankrupt. <shrugs>

Ps3Lover 01-07-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 379085)
No, unless they want to go bankrupt. <shrugs>

Well, with indiana jones 2007 coming, Looks like an action packed adventure game. And it looks good from the first pics. Like i said, Polygon adventures

Hammerite 01-07-2007 01:14 PM

just go buy silent hill or hitman.
they're JUST LIKE adventures (hitman a bit less so)

Atlantis 01-07-2007 01:23 PM

Hammer. You take that back. RIGHT NOW.

Ps3 oh please, any 'Action/Adventure' game puts me right off.. I just like my simple hotspot finding, witty comment, problem solving games.

And unfortunately, I dont think we'll ever see an original Lucasarts point n click again, there just isnt enough requests for these kind of games anymore, what with free-roamers (which I myself enjoy) Like GTA, and it just seems the youth of today (Im only 15, but im talking about 11 year olds and stuff) are all into mass violence or sport genre.. *Sigh* If only we could save them.

lmfao.

Jazhara7 01-07-2007 01:27 PM

No, LucasArts and SIERRA, the old gods, are gone. LucasArts has become a fallen god, a mutation of the once glorious being it was, and SIERRA is long dead.

Yes, gods die...

But let us rejoice, let us sing, and ring in the new age!

Hail Adventure!

For the new gods are born every day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 379075)
now we got(the what left) ?

Europe.

No seriously, there's a lot of developers in Europe!

Lots of them in Germany, too, so I see a lot of new adventures when I go to the store. The market and production has simply shifted from the big companies in the US, to smaller companies, some in the US, and many in Europe.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

EDIT: Whoops, sorry Atlantis. I didn't mean to mock you with those lyrics. They just fit, and I didn't see that your post was there. It's pure coincidence, really. :)

Havrepus 01-07-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantis (Post 379128)
And unfortunately, I dont think we'll ever see an original Lucasarts point n click again, there just isnt enough requests for these kind of games anymore, what with free-roamers (which I myself enjoy) Like GTA, and it just seems the youth of today (Im only 15, but im talking about 11 year olds and stuff) are all into mass violence or sport genre.. *Sigh* If only we could save them.

Jesus saves. And ctrl+s. No, seriously... I completely agree. It seems that games with huge guns is more appealing to the masses, than a good story. I guess it's all about that adrenaline/caffeine/no sleep/sugar rush, and about making that quick buck. Unfortunately.

Havrepus 01-07-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7 (Post 379129)
No, LucasArts and SIERRA, the old gods, are gone. LucasArts has become a fallen god, a mutation of the once glorious being it was, and SIERRA is long dead.

Sierra may be dead, but Jane Jensen isn't:). Still wish Roberta Williams would pick up her pen again though.. Hail to the gods (and goddesses)!

Atlantis 01-07-2007 01:45 PM

Havre.. Lmfao. XD

Thello 01-07-2007 01:45 PM

I hope Lucasarts lets the old franchises die. When I saw what they almost did to Full Throttle, that was pretty much it.

Atlantis 01-07-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7 (Post 379129)
EDIT: Whoops, sorry Atlantis. I didn't mean to mock you with those lyrics. They just fit, and I didn't see that your post was there. It's pure coincidence, really. :)

Lmao. S'okay, I was a little freaked out. XD

Havrepus 01-07-2007 01:59 PM

The one thing LucasArts (or maybe rather LucasFilm?) could do, is make Zak McKracken - the movie. That could be something. I want to see that more than an adventure game from them. I just don't think adventures is their strong side..

Solid Snake 01-07-2007 02:27 PM

Autumn Moon Entertainment is the new LucasArts of the adventures.

CrimsonBlue 01-07-2007 02:30 PM

Actually, I don't think the whole "not big enough market for it" argument is just bullshit. The only reason is the developers just don't have the balls to go for an all-out adventure game. Fahrenheit, which wasn't even a very good adventure game (it was more unique/original than good). The reason why Broken Sword doesn't sell is because the series just isn't very good anymore. It's a game that only attracts hardcore adventure gamers which are very forgiving about the adventure games, simply 'cause there are so few.

Also, there's a huge demand for great stories in games. Look at Final Fantasy! Nobody has to agree, but general opinion is that the story in Final Fantasy games are among the most important aspects of the games. And remove the rpg elements, add some more puzzles (there are puzzles in the game too, although of the simple kind) and you actually HAVE an adventure game. And a good one at that.

No, I don't believe LucasArts will release a point'n'click, but at some point they will go back to their roots and make a story-heavy game with emphasize on puzzles and obstacles. All companies goes back to their roots at some point, if only to pay tribute to itself. Give it some time, and LucasArts will be back with at least one game some way into the future.

Havrepus 01-07-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue (Post 379152)
I don't believe LucasArts will release a point'n'click, but at some point they will go back to their roots and make a story-heavy game with emphasize on puzzles and obstacles. All companies goes back to their roots at some point, if only to pay tribute to itself. Give it some time, and LucasArts will be back with at least one game some way into the future.

If there is anyone on this planet who is really good at paying tribute and putting in all sorts of references to themselves, it has to be George Lucas/LucasArts/LucasFilm. I'm in general not a big fan of LucasArts (or for that matter Tim Burton), but I'll give them a chance with Autumn Moon Entertainment. Hope for the best.

Ps3Lover 01-07-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 379151)
Autumn Moon Entertainment is the new LucasArts of the adventures.

Do you really think so ?
Autumn has yet to proof them self worthy.
I saw only screenshots and some animated lady.
Also theres no info about the story.
But i will certainly buy the game ! :D
if you look at The wispered world
http://www.bad-brain.com/tww_en.jsp

and play the demo. Its so well designed, the art and the animation.. Brilliant !
One of the top games which is now cancceled. if i had the money, i would support the developer !

Brings me up an idea !
Why not open a Fund for adventure developers ?
and everyone can donate money as much as they want, to support those great promising games. hmmzz let me write something down tomorrow ??

Ill open a new thread.