You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Pathologic - Worth the Import?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #1

Default Pathologic - Worth the Import?

I'm contemplating picking this game up from Amazon's UK store after today's article and this review.

My understanding is that while it's not actually a good game per se, the experience is not to be missed. If I can afford to, however, I'd rather not pay the exchange rate and wait for the game to be released locally. Any word on a North American publisher?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
I've come for the fork!

I doubt it's going to be released in NA. I bought it from GoGamer.com a few weeks before Christmas. It's $39.90 plus shipping if you order it from them. I havent really had the chance to put much time into it yet, but what I have played is very strange.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

Yeah, I honestly can't see it being released in NA, unless maybe as a budget release well down the road. I wouldn't count on that ever happening, though.

The game is certainly... different. It's not to be missed if you really value unique game experiences, but it's so raw that it's as frustrating as it ever is fun.

If you want to check it out for yourself, there is a demo available.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The cheapest place to order it from at the moment is probably Game.co.uk, where it's £6.98 (plus about £5 postage if you live outside of Europe).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #5

Well, it mighty be slightly annoying at times, but it deffinitely is an extremely interesting game... It could be a definite step forward, but I'm afraid it will remain unnoticed. I say import it!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
say yes when nobody asked

Will do.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
The cheapest place to order it from at the moment is probably Game.co.uk, where it's £6.98 (plus about £5 postage if you live outside of Europe).
Postage has gone up. It was 3.95 the last time I ordered (which was a while ago). Still, at around $20 it doesn't sound too bad, particularly if I could find a couple of more games to order... too bad Lula 3D's out of stock.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
The game is certainly... different. It's not to be missed if you really value unique game experiences, but it's so raw that it's as frustrating as it ever is fun.
I am downloading the demo from http://games.softpedia.com/get/Games...gic-Demo.shtml

I'm really curious about it!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #9

HI

I've tried playing the demo a little bit. And to me, this is one very (insane) game. Not to give away to many spoilers Id have to say that this game, to me, made absolutely no sense at all - even after reading the manual - twice.

But is a very intriguing game, and a very unique gaming experience...
Old 01-07-2007, 04:32 AM   #10

This sounds really promising.. or strange. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it. I guess I'll be downloading the demo later today.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
Postage has gone up. It was 3.95 the last time I ordered (which was a while ago). Still, at around $20 it doesn't sound too bad, particularly if I could find a couple of more games to order... too bad Lula 3D's out of stock.
That may be to subsidise the fact that they've made UK postage free (finally falling in line with pretty much every other shop of their kind).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #12

Quote:
That may be to subsidise the fact that they've made UK postage free (finally falling in line with pretty much every other shop of their kind).
They won't ship to the US for free. Best thing to do is look out for it cheap on amazon.co.uk, maybe someone will put up a dirt cheap second hand version. Then contact the seller and ask them to put it up on amazon.co.uk auction if they're willing.

It's how I have to get some games from America.

Thello, have you downloaded the demo (should be on gamershell)?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #13
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Sucks for us though. I'd stop buying from them if they weren't the only ones that seem to have an idea of where Uruguay is.

Are there any other UK stores that ship worldwide? I know of Gameplay.co.uk, but they'll only claim to ship to certain countries (none in South America...) and an e-mail I sent them was never answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
They won't ship to the US for free. Best thing to do is look out for it cheap on amazon.co.uk, maybe someone will put up a dirt cheap second hand version. Then contact the seller and ask them to put it up on amazon.co.uk auction if they're willing.

It's how I have to get some games from America.

Thello, have you downloaded the demo (should be on gamershell)?
Dunno, but I've never been able to purchase anything but books or DVDs from Amazon. Not even through Marketplace. Best thing (if not only option) for me is to just order from them (meaning Game.co.uk).
Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #14

I have tried it out now, and must say that this game just didn't do it for me. Sorry, but I just don't like playing adventures that involve a health-bar (except for Shivers and Shivers 2). Granted I may not be the most patient adventurer, but I certainly expect go walk around a little bit before someone knocks me down. Together with a long reload time, this is not my kind of game.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #15

Default No. Not recommended

For the original poster, I would suggest not getting Pathologic. I spent $40 on it and ended up trading it off. I've completed the Bachelor scenario, which is about a third of the total, or maybe a little more. To get to the final resolution, which I've kind of guessed at, you need to do the other two characters, and I just couldn't manage it. There are too many better games calling to me. The translation from Russian to English is absolutely dreadful, something others have commented on. The forum, which I've visited many times, promises a "language patch" from a very nice fellow who works for the developer and speaks English very well. But, it's not come and may never. I've noticed that the game in England has dropped dramatically in price - below 10 pounds, and has become Bargain Bin. So, I'm guessing it will never make its way to the States and that the developer/publisher will give up on formal support. Reminds of Europa 1400: The Guild in that respect.

Pathologic is fascinating, frightening, flawed and frustrating. The idea of a "pandemic behavioral simulator" is engrossing and the initial lead-in is absolutely captivating (children carrying a dead doll to a cemetery accompanied by wonderful mood music), but it really ends up being another adventure/RPG without the mechanisms that make modern RPGs so playable. In other words, a good idea not executed that well, especially for the English-speaking world. A real disappointment, and I would agree that the Eurogamer review cited has it pretty right.

Lancashire Lass
Old 01-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #16
Roman5

The best thing I liked about Pathologic:

Sorry, the ONLY thing I liked about Pathologic

Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #17
Adventure Game Elitist

Well, my copy is still on the way, I'll post my impressions after I try it out. I'm not disheartened by other people's opinions though, I've been known to like games everyone hates, yet dislike those everyone enjoys...

Taking that into consideration, the original poster may want to disregard my impressions when I post them.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Where did you end up getting it from?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #19
Adventure Game Elitist

Game.co.uk. Really the only option for me besides eBay and CDAccess.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:00 AM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Pathologic reminds me about a town in Oblivion where everybody go about on their own business and you run around trying to find the right NPC to talk to. So far it felt like a First Person adventuregame with some roleplaying elements.

What striked me is that practically every NPC I met so far talks as if they have 125+ IQ and read a pile of books on philosophy.