You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Help: Crime/Sleuth solid titles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 02:24 AM   #21

I wanted to recommend Gabriel Knight, too. And while we are at it, why not trying another Sierra classic - Police Quest. It ALL about police work
Old 01-09-2007, 03:52 AM   #22
Your average crooner

Police Quest is great, above them all the third part, which is like those Cannon movies starred by Charles Bronson but in an adventure. There's a review of mine of the first part somewhere in this board.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson View Post
Police Quest is great, above them all the third part, which is like those Cannon movies starred by Charles Bronson but in an adventure. There's a review of mine of the first part somewhere in this board.
PQ 1 is "The PQ nr. 1" for me
Old 01-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #24

I have played GK sins of fathers more than once and its absolute magic. The amount of research thats gone into the game is truly amazing but it's the relation of the elements of the story to the gameplay that makes it unique. For instance things like damballah, or where Voodoo originates isn't simply something of interest it's actually needed to complete it. I've played most of the classic titles, a heavy leaning on Lucasarts (infact anything from Zak McKracken to the Dig) and Sierra. However I'm very picky about what I play, I don't usually just pick up any adventure game just because it is defined as such.

It's amazing really, in the space of a less than a week I've completed Still Life, Indigo Prophecies and Syberia (note no walkthrough at all, apart for a horrible cooking sequence in SL despite the 'sift' and 'cream' clues). I found the latter, despite the 9.0 scoring review (payola anyone?), lacking in terms of how much the elements presented in the plot correlate to the actual gameplay. Of course there is the automaton angle, absolutely great and sheer magic in the way it is presented, but where have the mammoths and the Yukols gone? I was expecting to see something relating to an old surviving civilization in a last chapter which isn't there. That would have been in the true Lucasfilm (Ron Gilbert anyone?) or early Lucasarts tradition, maybe I've grown to think too much like those games. Must admit the last sequence did give me goosebumps though (nailed it there), but where is the chapter in Syberia?

Thanks for the recommendations everyone :-)
Old 01-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #25

It maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but Discworld Noir still comes to mind.
You play as a detective/PI, it has crime/murder sloving, it has romance, suspence, cliche noir-jazz, snappy humor, werewolves, great storyline and superb voiceacting.

A sweet game no matter what kind of adventure you're looking for. Recommended!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #26

Just re-digging this old thread from the dusty depths of the forum.

I bought 'The moment of silence' and finished it recently and have to say it's looking like one of best games I've played. Really loved the whole feel of the game and the puzzles are not very easy either, infact I needed to look at some hints online for an elevator puzzle. It gave me the impression of an enhanced version of 'Beneath a steel sky', with great writing in the storyline.

I think 'House of Tales' have something in store for 2007, together with 'Heavy Rain' I'm definitely gonna grab those two.

If you have any more recommendations in mind go for it. Really liked this game.

P.S. Syberia proved to be a classic but I had to buy Syberia 2 as well. It should have been one game.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sleuth View Post
I think 'House of Tales' have something in store for 2007...
They do. ( FYI, the release is now targeted for Oct. 2007.)

I can't think of any other games off the top of my head right now.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #28
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
They do. ( FYI, the release is now targeted for Oct. 2007.)

I can't think of any other games off the top of my head right now.
Oh that looks good. I cant wait.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 01-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #29
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Maupiti Island is quite possibly the quintessential sleuthing adventure. It may be an acquired taste though... but you owe to yourself to at least give it a try if you're really into the genre! It's still miles ahead of any other detective adventure out there, technically speaking.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #30

Default any free download games?

this has been awesome. i love the mystery games, and that sort of thing, anyone have any suggestions on any free downloads that i could play?
Thanks all

Jen
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #31

Hi guys. Looking for a rather "new" good police-quest-game for PC. Any ideas?

/Johan
Old 07-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #32
man of low moral fiber

I can't seem to find that "1st degree" game anywhere...any ideas?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #33

Default Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective campaign

Hi,

If you like sleuthing games, I helped create a number of the first point-and-click adventure games (Shadowgate, Deja Vu, Uninvited, Deja Vu II) in the '80s. My company is currently bringing our Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective mystery/adventures to mobile devices.

You can find out more about how to get involved (including becoming an in-game character) by checking out our campaign

This is the kickstarter link

Thanks!!!

Dave Marsh
[email protected]
www.zojoi.com