You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Who's buying Jack The Ripper?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 07:48 AM   #1

Default Who's buying Jack The Ripper?

The game's released this week, and I pre-ordered it since I want a new game to play, and this one's not very expensive (21 euros, with shipping to Europe at DvdBoxOffice) when compared to the games released here in Europe.

I hate to buy games without playing a demo, but the game seemed nice enough (the "trailer" was great, although the latest videos released weren't nearly as impressive). I was wondering what are your opinions regarding the game, and who's also interested in it?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:38 AM   #2
merely human

Not me. At least, not without playing the demo first and reading several reviews. My gut feeling tells me this game is going to be mediocre, unimaginative, unoriginal (in terms of puzzle design and story), and rather cheap in production values. Have you seen any of the movies? Really low quality, I'm sad to say.

However, let's wait til the demo comes out. It may surprise.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-25-2004, 02:06 PM   #3

I'm going to wait for the reviews. It could be a good game. Graphics stink but I'm willing to look past that if the story is done well. I don't see how those short clips can tell you that they'll be unimaginative and unoriginal, but hey that's me.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Frankly, I stopped paying attention to this game about five seconds after reading the premise. Not that it can't be good, but the whole Jack the Ripper thing is just so overdone. And the fact that it's in a modern setting isn't very encouraging either. Add in the fact that it's an Adventure Company game, and it makes me kind of suspicious. Hopefully I'm wrong, and it will be a great game. I'm just not inspired with a whole lot of hope at this point.

mag
Old 01-25-2004, 02:39 PM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I don't care about Jack the Ripper, and the couple of screenshots I've seen are not interesting.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:57 PM   #6

I probably won't get the game unless it gets pretty awesome reviews.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Frankly, I stopped paying attention to this game about five seconds after reading the premise. Not that it can't be good, but the whole Jack the Ripper thing is just so overdone. And the fact that it's in a modern setting isn't very encouraging either. Add in the fact that it's an Adventure Company game, and it makes me kind of suspicious. Hopefully I'm wrong, and it will be a great game. I'm just not inspired with a whole lot of hope at this point.

mag
Wasn't RIPPER (the one starring Christopher Walken) already based on the same story in a modern setting?

--Erwin
Old 01-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #8
Bearly Here

I am playing it and it's pretty good so far.

And it isn't in a modern setting. The events take place in turn of the century NY - 1901. Why would Jack The Ripper stop his killing spree in London and 13 years later surface in the low end of NYC. If it is indeed THE Jack the Ripper. That is the question in this game.

The producer of the game, Philippe Gaude is participating in a forum based Q & A right now. He has answered a lot of questions about the basis for the game, graphics, in game features and other stuff.

If you are interested - you can check it out here: Jack the Ripper Q & A Forum

Just some additional info to help learn more about the game and decide if it is something you would be interested in or not.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:00 PM   #9
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally posted by LauraMac

And it isn't in a modern setting. The events take place in turn of the century NY - 1901.
Oops. My bad. I thought it was. I guess that makes it a little better, but I'm still skeptical. After all of the Jack the Ripper stories that have been done, it takes a pretty good writer to do a good Ripper story. And the Adventure Company hasn't exactly proven itself in the past. But I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what they can do with it. I would like to at least play a demo, though.

mag
Old 01-25-2004, 07:16 PM   #10
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
After all of the Jack the Ripper stories that have been done, it takes a pretty good writer to do a good Ripper story.
Bingo! Alternative (and possibly more interesting) narrative twists:

* The protagonist is an intrepid, emancipated woman named Jessica Palmer, whom the editor-in-chief reluctantly sends to replace the first reporter who was murdered mysteriously, possibly a victim of the Ripper.

* Jimmy Palmer's wife-to-be, Maggie, mysteriously disappears after a particularly heated argument with him. The prolonged time of her vanishing consequently imposes on him a far more personal reason for pursuing the Ripper who, in his correspondences with Jimmy, begins including oblique references to Jimmy's fiancée.

* Star veteran reporter Jimmy and his protogé/assistant, Jessica, investigate the case together. At a turning point in the plot, Jessica volunteers to disguise herself as a 'streetwalker' to lure the Ripper. You can imagine the possible consequences. The player will have the option to switch between the two characters at will and in real time as the game progresses.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-25-2004, 09:03 PM   #11
Bearly Here

Quote:
And the Adventure Company hasn't exactly proven itself in the past. But I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what they can do with it.
The Adventure co. is just the publisher, they don't develop or write the games. Jack the Ripper is created by Galilea. Now TAC may not have picked out the best games to publish, according to others or your tastes and preferences (you like what you like - I certainly can identify with that) But bad or good - the fault or credit goes to the individual developer who made the game.

Right now there are several possibilities for the "NY Jack" plot path, can't say if the story will twist and turn it's way into a great story until I finish or get closer to a finish.

But some parts of Treps suggestions lie tantalizingly close to possibilities with this tale. Or at least skim close to some ideas I have had about the plot direction while playing.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:14 PM   #12
Retirement is stupid

I'll have a little hands-on preview on the site later this week, so you guys can get a bit better of an idea how promising (or not) the game is at that point...

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 01-25-2004, 09:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
I'll have a little hands-on preview on the site later this week, so you guys can get a bit better of an idea how promising (or not) the game is at that point...

- Evan
Nice! Looking forward to it
Old 01-25-2004, 10:23 PM   #14
Bearly Here

Glad to hear it and look forward to your preview.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:28 PM   #15
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
But some parts of Treps suggestions lie tantalizingly close to possibilities with this tale. Or at least skim close to some ideas I have had about the plot direction while playing.
Ah, but that's just one part of the equation. There's also the question of how well the puzzles are designed, and do they feel natural in the gameworld, not slapped on. And then there's the quality of the script and dialogue, the voice acting, the level of interactivity, the level designs, how everything gels (if that's possible).....

[shuts his trap and waits for Stinger's preview]
Old 01-25-2004, 10:45 PM   #16
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Not me. At least, not without playing the demo first and reading several reviews. My gut feeling tells me this game is going to be mediocre, unimaginative, unoriginal (in terms of puzzle design and story), and rather cheap in production values. Have you seen any of the movies? Really low quality, I'm sad to say.

However, let's wait til the demo comes out. It may surprise.
I feel the same way on all counts.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-25-2004, 11:38 PM   #17
merely human

I have to give the game the benefit of a doubt, I don't want to slip into that 'I-already-hate-your-game' mindset. I'm treating it no differently than any other game regardless of genre - play demo, read several reviews, make up mind. Even though games like The Watchmaker disappointed me, I have only myself to blame (the demo of it was mediocre, the reviews stated as such, but I ended getting it anyway and was let down.....ah well). At least you can't condemn me for being a more savvy gamer, my very limited resources prevent me from being so frivolous and buying games before researching them, even pre-ordering games before doing homework. I'm so poor!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funktion
The game's released this week, and I pre-ordered it since I want a new game to play, and this one's not very expensive (21 euros, with shipping to Europe at DvdBoxOffice) when compared to the games released here in Europe.

I hate to buy games without playing a demo, but the game seemed nice enough (the "trailer" was great, although the latest videos released weren't nearly as impressive). I was wondering what are your opinions regarding the game, and who's also interested in it?
I preordered it too. Even if it doesn't turn out to be a super-great game, it doesn't seem to be one of those games that throws in a bunch of annoying action stuff for no good reason. According to Dreamcatcher it won't have StarForce. And the screen shots I saw at Gamespot look pretty good to me. Not the brightest colors, but the muted tone suits the subject matter. It's not expensive either, so I figure I'll get my money's worth out of it.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:57 AM   #19
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I have to give the game the benefit of a doubt, I don't want to slip into that 'I-already-hate-your-game' mindset. I'm treating it no differently than any other game regardless of genre - play demo, read several reviews, make up mind. Even though games like The Watchmaker disappointed me, I have only myself to blame (the demo of it was mediocre, the reviews stated as such, but I ended getting it anyway and was let down.....ah well). At least you can't condemn me for being a more savvy gamer, my very limited resources prevent me from being so frivolous and buying games before researching them, even pre-ordering games before doing homework. I'm so poor!
Well whaddya know, I agree again.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-26-2004, 02:03 AM   #20

I agree with remixor...