Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   DREAMFALL DEMO - Released! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/18239-dreamfall-demo-released.html)

Dasilva 12-22-2006 04:24 PM

DREAMFALL DEMO - Released!

Hey all,

Whoever wants the Dreamfall demo can download it from gamespot, its a hefty 3 gig.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/...ml?sid=6163598

Nautilus 12-22-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva (Post 375704)
Whoever wants the Dreamfall demo can download it from gamespot, its a hefty 3 gig.

Wow, great ne...w...s... 3Gb?!!! 8p

I think thats it's not a demo, it's a trial of the full version, because the installer is named dreamfall_trial.exe and 3651.4MB is the size of a full DVD-ROM!

rtrooney 12-22-2006 06:11 PM

This borders on the "Who cares".

The game has been out and is garnering votes for game of the year at some sites. I hated the game, and will not be downloading a demo eight months or more after the game was released.

Hazzard a guess that Dreamfall is already in a few bargain bins.

Nautilus 12-22-2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtrooney (Post 375732)
The game has been out and is garnering votes for game of the year at some sites. I hated the game, and will not be downloading a demo eight months or more after the game was released.

I wouldn't buy an adventure game that I can't try first.

tsa 12-22-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

There are a lot of people who haven't played it yet. They might like the demo and buy the game. I think it's great that there is a demo, however late. Better late than never. But I already ordered the game a few days ago at JustAdventure and I hope it will be here between Christmas and the new year. So the demo is too late for me.

tabacco 12-22-2006 11:53 PM

Quote:

Then why did you even post?

charmed23 12-23-2006 01:23 AM

Is that a marketing strategy? Dreamfall is getting plenty of attention lately because of it's awards at some gamesites and like tsa said, more people will have a look at it and a demo is a great way for them to try the game (I bet they will like it).
tsa, I hope you will enjoy Christmas with the game.

tsa 12-23-2006 02:09 AM

tsa, I hope you will enjoy Christmas with the game.

Thanks charmed23, but I'll have to wait a bit longer for it to arrive. It has to come all the way to the Netherlands. I'm replaying The Longest Journey at the moment. I didn't understand the ending at all last time I played it, and I think that is necessary to enjoy Dreamfall more.

insane_cobra 12-23-2006 04:36 AM

But 3 GB!!!? Does it come with StarForce?

RaMa 12-23-2006 04:42 AM

Lol. That's very much possible :P.

smulan 12-23-2006 04:48 AM

"I hated the game, and [...]"

Funny, Dreamfall tends to receive reactions from parts of the adventurecommunity resembling those Myst got.
Soon we´ll get the conspiratorial stuff as well: Dreamfall caused the death of adventuregames. (second death; death after Mystdeath)

And now they have the nerve publish a demo, those bastards!

Mayboy 12-23-2006 11:07 AM

3GB! Almost the size of the full game.

Huz 12-23-2006 12:33 PM

Seems like a bit of a challenge to download the demo. Gamespot's download servers are terribly slow, and watching the time estimate for 3DGamers' queuing system is like staring hopelessly at a train information screen.

Still, a three gigabyte demo eh? Must be good to be bigger than a lot of whole games.

Dasilva 12-23-2006 01:15 PM

I think its the type of demo where you download the whole game play it for a time limit and then pay online for a keycode or something.

kuze 12-23-2006 01:19 PM

Gamershell's servers are usually quite fast, you might want to download the demo there. Also, they are offering it as a 2gb download, somehow.

Huz 12-23-2006 01:36 PM

Yeah, but sadly they tend to offer their demos as .zip files - usually a compressed .exe accompanied by a solitary text file saying "Hey! You downloaded this from Gamershell!" - which is even more of a pain in the arse than waiting for Gamespot (Gayspot more like) or 3DGamers.

Dasilva 12-23-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz (Post 375857)
Yeah, but sadly they tend to offer their demos as .zip files - usually a compressed .exe accompanied by a solitary text file saying "Hey! You downloaded this from Gamershell!" - which is even more of a pain in the arse than waiting for Gamespot (Gayspot more like) or 3DGamers.

Tell me about it uncompressing a 3 gig file is no joke.

rtrooney 12-23-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabacco (Post 375758)
Then why did you even post?

Because I feel it is my sworn duty to piss people off occasionally!

Plus, this demo, if it can be called that, seems unusually timed. In Adventure-Time or dog years, the game has been out forever. Why bother? And, seeing as it's the equivalent of full-version shareware, the sole motivation would seem to be adding an incremental number of units sold as the year ends.

This, unlike, for example, the recently released MOTOE demo, which is still new enough in the marketplace that a demo makes a great deal of sense. And the demo is, indeed, just that.

kuze 12-23-2006 04:12 PM

Ten months is not forever. 3 GB is not alot. And I'm sure this is not a full-game shareware, as the game itself is bigger than the demo. Even if it was, I don't quite see why it even matters - all demos as well as shareware versions are there to boost sales and raise interest in the software. Jeez, it's free, why complain?

Solid Snake 12-23-2006 04:42 PM

Too little too late.