Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Best Adventure Game of 2006 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/18221-best-adventure-game-2006-a.html)

Havrepus 01-02-2007 05:45 AM

Happy new gaming year everybody! My vote went to Dreamfall, as that was the game I enjoyed the most in 2006. And since I am the only one that counts when giving my vote, it's no use arguing against it. May 2k7 be an even better gaming year than the last one!

tsa 01-02-2007 06:07 AM

I am playing Dreamfall right now, and enjoying it immensely. And because Dreamfall is the only adventure game that came out last year that I've played so far, I guess for me Dreamfall is the best adventure game of 2006.

beverheim 01-02-2007 06:27 AM

Hm...why is the vote closed now:(?

I realize I've played half of the games on the list, so I spent quite a lot of time adventuregaming in 2006!

Here is the best ones, in my opinion

1)Al Emmo - a very funny game for old school adventurers.
2)Secrets files of Tunguska - Good story, good puzzles.
3)Secrets of Da Vinchi - Normally I hate first person games, but this one has some elements that's refreshingly new. And a good story too.

The biggest disappointment was Dreamfall. It is not a totally bad game, but couldn't reach the high standards set by The Longest Journey. The story is still very good, but the gameplay and the puzzles was no good.

Havrepus 01-02-2007 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beverheim (Post 377754)
Hm...why is the vote closed now:(?

1)Al Emmo - a very funny game for old school adventurers.
2)Secrets files of Tunguska - Good story, good puzzles.
3)Secrets of Da Vinchi - Normally I hate first person games, but this one has some elements that's refreshingly new. And a good story too.

I think the vote is closed because it said so right there on the poll :). For what it's worth, I think one more week to vote wouldn't have hurt.
I also enjoyed those other games you mentioned. Dreamfall just comes first due to appeal to me. And a good story. I highly enjoy playing stories.

Giligan 01-02-2007 03:30 PM

I must say, it's very odd that everyone said that Dreamfall was an incredible disappointment, but yet it gets all the votes. :P

Havrepus 01-02-2007 03:35 PM

Maybe the people, like me, who actually loved the game, aren't the same that the ones who complain...

Junkface 01-02-2007 05:16 PM

Shit, seems I'm too late to actually vote, but it would have been The Great Cow Race. The game doesn't provide anything particularly new but is very polished, pretty atmospheric, offers a decent degree of non-linearity and is very well designed with well thought out puzzles and hell of a lot to interact with. Sam & Max shares a lot of these qualities but I think loses something with the highly simplified interface and overall seems slightly less confident. Dreamfall was a mixture of great moments and jaw-droppingly incompetent ones. Think those were the only adventures I've played from this year, though it's likely I'll get around to BS4, The Shivah, Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened and Secrets of Leonardo at some point.

Periglo 01-03-2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giligan (Post 377898)
I must say, it's very odd that everyone said that Dreamfall was an incredible disappointment, but yet it gets all the votes. :P

Exactly. And remember: it is claimed it is not even an AG. A couple of hours' worth of silly puzzles and these critics would have been content.

AprilLives 01-03-2007 07:25 AM

... 98, 108 or even 1,008 votes does not a great game make, especially with such a narrow selection.

Dasilva 01-03-2007 08:20 AM

Sam & Max shoulden't be in there, I think. Its not a full game.

AprilLives 01-03-2007 09:18 AM

In that case, Dreamfall shouldn't be in there because it's not a full game.:D

bysmitty 01-03-2007 09:24 AM

Scratches for me but I missed the deadline.

...bysmitty

SoccerDude28 01-03-2007 09:40 AM

I passed on voting because none of the games on that list deserve title of best adventure game of the year in my opinion.

Kaelistus 01-03-2007 09:50 AM

I was too late to vote, but I'm going to say "Safecracker" wins in my book although I don't find it to be earth shattering by any stretch. Ankh and Evidence come in a close.

Count me in for the Dreamfall haters. I like adventure games because they tickle your brain. Dreamfall doesn't. Its a storytelling game with no real challenge. But I guess this is what people prefer (See Fahrenheit last year).

LancLass 01-22-2007 04:35 AM

I've played about a dozen 2006 adventure releases, and liked best: Scratches, Tunguska and Orient Express, in that order. For 2007, I've just finished The Secrets of Atlantis: The Sacred Legacy (aka Atlantis 5) and feel that will be well up there when I'm looking at 2007 "winners."

Lancashire Lass

crabapple 01-22-2007 06:05 AM

I'm also too late to vote. I'd probably have voted for Keepsake, despite the voices.

Meche 01-22-2007 01:11 PM

Dreamfall was great - I love that style of game play - I thought Sam and Max would win hands down....who knew?!! (I didn't get a chance to vote, though)

Crapstorm 01-22-2007 01:15 PM

Yeah, sorry about that. I figured 3 weeks would be enough time for everyone, but I was wrong. I'd like to do this poll again, now that more people have had a chance to play more 2006 games. I'll drop the games that got zero votes last time, and replace them with games from the "other" category.

Those of you who chose "other," which game was your fave?

Dasilva 01-22-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AprilLives (Post 378081)
In that case, Dreamfall shouldn't be in there because it's not a full game.:D

:shifty:

:pan:

:D

Kurufinwe 01-22-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapstorm (Post 383756)
Yeah, sorry about that. I figured 3 weeks would be enough time for everyone, but I was wrong. I'd like to do this poll again, now that more people have had a chance to play more 2006 games. I'll drop the games that got zero votes last time, and replace them with games from the "other" category.

I've reopened the poll for a few days, merged the two Nancy Drew games and added Tunguska.

Elisabetta611 01-23-2007 12:12 AM

Dreamfall all the way.

Yes, the controls were messy but the story saved it. WHY didn't they use what WORKED in THE LONGEST JOURNEY? *Facepalm*

Mark 01-23-2007 02:36 AM

I thought it was funny someone here mentioned Dreamfall as Best Animated Movie...

AH! Here it is:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciere (Post 377746)
Dreamfall wins best animated film.

http://www.mindspring.com/~markparrish/LOL.gif

Dreamfall. An Adventure Game? I think not.

How 'bout Last Half of Darkness: Shadow of the Servants?

Or was this Independent Game released earlier? I really didn't know about Last Half of Darkness: Shadow of the Servants until 2006, but then again...I'm late for anything new.

I said "Other", for what it's worth.

Ksandra 01-23-2007 07:09 AM

Tunguska for me. It was nothing particularly special, but it was a good, solid AG that did almost everything right, which is more than I can say for any other adventure I've played this year.

AdrianWerner 01-24-2007 08:09 AM

Sam and Max while excelent quality was waaaaaay to short :(

So I've voted for Broken Sword 4