Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gamespot Best and Worst 2006 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/18171-gamespot-best-worst-2006-a.html)

charmed23 12-16-2006 02:36 AM

Gamespot Best and Worst 2006

Dreamfall gets 5 nominations : Best voice acting, Best Story, Best orginal Music, Best new character for Zoe, Best game no one played.
Sam and Max gets 1 for (if i'm not wrong) Funniest Game.
Haven't seen the genre awards for adventure.;(

Hammerite 12-16-2006 02:54 AM

Where is it?
i couldnt find it!

charmed23 12-16-2006 04:59 AM

They won't post the finalist on the web until 18 of Dec., but you can watch it live. See the main page? There is a box to the left of "Latest New" and above "Latest and Greatest".Keep clicking the small narrows at the bottom right of the box until you see "And the finalist are... Best and Worst 2006..Gamespt live"
Hope that will help you.

charmed23 12-16-2006 05:05 AM

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/featur...&click=topslot

Nautilus 12-16-2006 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmed23 (Post 373884)

Best Adventure 2004:
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/fea...4/day4f_9.html

Best Adventure 2005:
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/featur...p?day=4&page=5

Maybe 2006' list is comming this week.

Ariel Type 12-16-2006 06:33 AM

*taking in mind the grades given to Scratches and Barrow Hill* - yeah, Dreamfall is da best adventure, dear casual gamers..

Lucien21 12-16-2006 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmed23 (Post 373866)
Dreamfall gets 5 nominations : Best voice acting, Best Story, Best orginal Music, Best new character for Zoe, Best game no one played.
Sam and Max gets 1 for (if i'm not wrong) Funniest Game.
Haven't seen the genre awards for adventure.;(

It was also nominated for Best Xbox game of the year.

After a brisk nap 12-16-2006 11:17 AM

Is it on the list for "worst gameplay"?

charmed23 12-16-2006 06:55 PM

:) Thanks, Lucien21, didn't notice that.

Dasilva 12-17-2006 04:48 AM

I'm sure Dreamfall will pick up a few wins.

LeisureSuitedLooney 12-17-2006 05:41 AM

When Gamespot sent out their latest newsletter, where they talked about these awards coming up, they wrote this one part on the Introductory page about how they had trouble scrounging up enough nominations for "Best Adventure". So, out of curiousity, I did a search for adventure games in 2006, on their site. On the first page alone, there were something like 25 results. Hard to believe that translates into barely scrounging up a list, by their standards.

Dasilva 12-17-2006 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney (Post 374122)
When Gamespot sent out their latest newsletter, where they talked about these awards coming up, they wrote this one part on the Introductory page about how they had trouble scrounging up enough nominations for "Best Adventure". So, out of curiousity, I did a search for adventure games in 2006, on their site. On the first page alone, there were something like 25 results. Hard to believe that translates into barely scrounging up a list, by their standards.

Compared to the thousand shooters, Im sure they would. :P

Gonchi 12-17-2006 07:27 PM

Gamespot? I thought we all agreed (and by all agreed I mean completely ignored everyone who thought differently) that Gamespot were clueless in regards to Adventure games and as such would no longer be mentioned in this forum. Ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva (Post 374126)
Compared to the thousand shooters, Im sure they would. :P

I don't think I could name more than 5... does someone know exactly how many FPS have been released this year?

Spiwak 12-17-2006 08:49 PM

By their standards I think only a few were given even decent grades, and I think Dreamfall's 8.0 or whatever decent score it had, would be the top. For Gamespot this year wasn't big for adventures, mainly because they don't seem to grade small games very well.

Orange Brat 12-17-2006 09:40 PM

Gamespot has a history of high scores for the classics, but they have been crapping on newer ones for the most part. Orient Express was the last one I saw and it was a 5.8 I think.

Dasilva 12-18-2006 03:23 AM

Dark Messiah got a 6.8 I think, that was unfair. They said the combat was shallow...

Oblivion has 2 attack forms.
Dark Messiah has 5 attack forms.

I think it deserved a 9.0, that game is so much fun. And this so called obvious plot twist you see coming from the tutorial? I don't see that at all.

grr. :)

charmed23 12-18-2006 03:26 AM

I think they had trouble finding adventure games that have the "quality". Take a look at Gamespy's picks for gamers to vote for PC Adventure Game of the Year 2006, then search them on Gamespot. What will you see? Despite "Dreamfall" (8.1), "Sam & Max Culture Shock" (7.7), the others in Gamespy's list didn't have good score: 5.8 for "Paradise", 6.8 for "Evidence: The Last Ritual", 5.2 for "Keepsake". So how could those game be nominated for "best Adventure Game of the year"? Only 3 adventure games have an above-7 score in 2006 [Dreamfall, Sam & Max, Ankh(7.3)].

jacog 12-18-2006 03:56 AM

wow, 5.8 is quite generous for Paradise.

JemyM 12-18-2006 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva (Post 374340)
Dark Messiah got a 6.8 I think, that was unfair. They said the combat was shallow...

Oblivion has 2 attack forms.
Dark Messiah has 5 attack forms.

I think it deserved a 9.0, that game is so much fun. And this so called obvious plot twist you see coming from the tutorial? I don't see that at all.

grr. :)

Oblivion have five attacks for melee if I remember right, left+attack/right+attack/forward+attack/back+attack and just attack.

I never focused on melee for Dark Messiah so I do not know them all. I just remember attack and powerattack.

I also thought the plottwist was fairly obvious. :D

Still, part from the annoying AI where "friends" kept attacking you instead of the monsters, I found the game enjoyable as a linear firstperson shooter but not so much of an rpg.

JemyM 12-18-2006 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmed23 (Post 374342)
I think they had trouble finding adventure games that have the "quality". Take a look at Gamespy's picks for gamers to vote for PC Adventure Game of the Year 2006, then search them on Gamespot. What will you see? Despite "Dreamfall" (8.1), "Sam & Max Culture Shock" (7.7), the others in Gamespy's list didn't have good score: 5.8 for "Paradise", 6.8 for "Evidence: The Last Ritual", 5.2 for "Keepsake". So how could those game be nominated for "best Adventure Game of the year"? Only 3 adventure games have an above-7 score in 2006 [Dreamfall, Sam & Max, Ankh(7.3)].

I do not know what exactly theese guys are looking for when they review an adventuregame. I mean, Ankh have great graphics, great voiceacting, a very fun story, is glitchfree unlike Keepsake and finally deliver just about everything a modern game should deliver, so "7.3"? What were they reviewing exactly? WASD movement?

jacog 12-18-2006 04:36 AM

ankh had a few awful bugs, mostly during the dual character bits... and i agree gs was a bit hard on keepsake

Dasilva 12-18-2006 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemyM (Post 374356)
Oblivion have five attacks for melee if I remember right, left+attack/right+attack/forward+attack/back+attack and just attack.

I never focused on melee for Dark Messiah so I do not know them all. I just remember attack and powerattack.

I also thought the plottwist was fairly obvious. :D

Still, part from the annoying AI where "friends" kept attacking you instead of the monsters, I found the game enjoyable as a linear firstperson shooter but not so much of an rpg.

That doesnt count!! Its the same attack from different angles. DM had totally different attack stances. :P

JemyM 12-18-2006 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva (Post 374377)
That doesnt count!! Its the same attack from different angles. DM had totally different attack stances. :P

For each 25 you earn in your weapon you unlock a special ability that is executed when you use a special swing. I remember that forward+attack with a mace was a great way to disable a foe since it stunned them, while backward+attack was something I "exploiated" all the time (it knocked them down). The left+right swing was very fast. If you wanted to take down an opponent really quick you loaded a magic weapon with all three elemental damages and sweeped quickly from left+right, it was guaranteed to floor almost anything in seconds, even if the strike itself did minimal damage, the magic did full damage every blow. Took alot of souls to keep that up though.

phankiejankie 12-18-2006 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemyM (Post 374389)
For each 25 you earn in your weapon you unlock a special ability that is executed when you use a special swing.

True. Oblivion offers one quick attack and relative to your blade or blunt skill four additional power attacks.

Dasilva 12-18-2006 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemyM (Post 374389)
For each 25 you earn in your weapon you unlock a special ability that is executed when you use a special swing. I remember that forward+attack with a mace was a great way to disable a foe since it stunned them, while backward+attack was something I "exploiated" all the time (it knocked them down). The left+right swing was very fast. If you wanted to take down an opponent really quick you loaded a magic weapon with all three elemental damages and sweeped quickly from left+right, it was guaranteed to floor almost anything in seconds, even if the strike itself did minimal damage, the magic did full damage every blow. Took alot of souls to keep that up though.

Okay, you got me. But I still think Dark Messiah should get at least 8.0. :P

Stain 12-18-2006 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva (Post 374406)
Okay, you got me. But I still think Dark Messiah should get at least 8.0. :P

Yeah, but remember that Gamespot rates games before they are patched. They rate them right out of the box. Dark Messiah was pretty buggy for a lot of gamers until those 2 patches were released (and a third seems to be required for a lot of folks still).

Although I bought the game when it was first released, Gamespot's review and a quick trip to the Ubi Soft tech support forums lead me to wait a few weeks before playing it. I agree with your 8.0 rating for the patched game ;)

Cheers,
Stain

MdaG 12-18-2006 10:11 PM

I seems like they've removed the adventure games from the voting.
http://www.gamespot.com/special_feat...x.html?page=11

Lucien21 12-18-2006 11:56 PM

Well So far

Dreamfall won best voice acting

and

Sam n Max won Funniest Game.

charmed23 12-19-2006 03:25 AM

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw no Genre awards for Adventure games!! But well, I'm happy for Sam & Max.
You guys can now vote for the Reader's Choice Awards.

AFGNCAAP 12-19-2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmed23 (Post 374713)
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw no Genre awards for Adventure games!!

Maybe it's for the better. Assuming they, indeed, were including only the games with a score of 7.0 and greater (which is IMO pretty ridiculous because: 1. being "the best" in the given category doesn't imply being among the best in absolute terms, 2. a review and score are ultimately one person's opinion the nominating comittee doesn't have to agree with*), they would probably round up the final five with some survival horrors like two years ago. And then of course Dreamfall would win. :rolleyes:

As adventure games is not Gamespot's forte, perhaps it's only fair that they won't make judgments on which were the year's best.

*Of course, I highly doubt anybody except the reviewer played most of this year's adventures, so that's a moot argument in practice.

Kurufinwe 12-19-2006 08:25 AM

Then again, has there really been anything worth calling "best adventure game of the year", or just "least mediocre"?

AFGNCAAP 12-19-2006 08:36 AM

I think Scratches, Great Cow Race or Secrets of Da Vinci deserve better adjective than "mediocre".

bysmitty 12-19-2006 08:50 AM

^ I agree with you but Gamespot's adjective for Scratches is 'BAD'. I am a big Gamespot fan but they totally deserve the pan for that review. Scratches was one of the best games I played all year regardless of genre.

...bysmitty

bysmitty 12-19-2006 09:04 AM

Back on subject: I can't believe that Dreamfall didn't win best story and best new character! I can kinda' understand Neverwinter Nights 2 for best story but Delta Squad from Gears of War for best new character(s) has to be a joke! I have the game and those meatheads just bark war cries throughout the game. No meaningful dialog, no emotional connection, just guys that shoot along with you and get killed a lot. Sad.

...bysmitty

Aj_ 12-19-2006 10:26 AM

I can't believe Dreamfall was nominated for best story or best character, although I have to be honest and say I've played very view games made this year. It's a poor reflection of games in general. I'm surprised about the voice acting award, since I liked Oblivion's so much more, but Oblivion didn't have quality dialogue, neither did Dreamfall... I really only expect one game with a good story each year, and I haven't played Neverwinter Nights 2 yet.

I've only played BS4 and Dreamfall this year, and they were both terrible, and in many similar ways. I couldn't bring myself to finish BS4, and that's probably because it was longer. I'd settle for a shortlist of five Adventures with Graphics from 2005, controls that atleast work, cameras that work, and atleast two good puzzles per hour of gameplay. If they set up an Adventure genre award, they'd also need to set up a suicide watch for the committee.

Lucien21 12-19-2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bysmitty (Post 374765)
Back on subject: I can't believe that Dreamfall didn't win best story and best new character! I can kinda' understand Neverwinter Nights 2 for best story but Delta Squad from Gears of War for best new character(s) has to be a joke! I have the game and those meatheads just bark war cries throughout the game. No meaningful dialog, no emotional connection, just guys that shoot along with you and get killed a lot. Sad.

...bysmitty

Delta Squad - :crazy:

They look like linebackers for the Chicago Bears and grunt commands. Where is the characters in that.

Coop 12-19-2006 12:35 PM

Hmm, I think Sam and max deserved best adventure game more than Dreamfall.

Edit:Oops I thought this said Gamespy

http://goty.gamespy.com/2006/pc/index24.html

Dasilva 12-19-2006 01:20 PM

I agree with Gamespy's Awards so far. :)

Intrepid Homoludens 12-19-2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamespy
2006 wasn't a terribly strong year for adventure games. Of course, the genre's been on life support for a long time now with only a few excellent titles like Sam & Max: Culture Shock to break the monotony of mediocre and low-budget titles. Even so, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey stands so far out of the pack, we believe it would have been a stellar candidate no matter what year it was released.

In many ways, Dreamfall suffers from The Empire Strikes Back problem. Not only is it the middle chapter of a trilogy, but like that film, it's essentially "internal." Dreamfall isn't about plot points, it's about characters asking questions and discovering some painful truths about themselves. As such, it raises a lot of difficult questions and is told in an unhurried, almost circular pace that's sure to rankle those who prefer their stories to unfold in a faster and more linear style. If gaming is ever to be more than merely colored lights and sensation, though, it needs these types of experimental projects to move forward. Gaming may not yet be "art," but with Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, we're one step closer.

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pclapping.gif YAY for Dreamfall!

Terramax 12-19-2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney (Post 374122)

I think they meant good games this year. As far as I'm aware, there haven't been that many good ones.