You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gamespot Best and Worst 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #41
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
I think they meant good games this year. As far as I'm aware, there haven't been that many good ones.
Or the last, or the last, or the last...

You get the picture.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-19-2006, 03:31 PM   #42

Gamespot is rubbish & do not have anything of value to say about adventure games. IMHO of course.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:49 AM   #43
gin soaked boy

Let's face it, right now the adventure genre does matter less than even rhythm games to at least 90% of general gaming population. That has to be saying something about the depths this once glorious genre has fallen to.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 AM   #44
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Let's face it, right now the adventure genre does matter less than even rhythm games to at least 90% of general gaming population. That has to be saying something about the depths this once glorious genre has fallen to.
Gamespot awarded best Adventure and story to a rhythm game last year. Gamespy awarded best story to F.E.A.R last year, Dreamfall this year. They say stories are getting better, and games are more "cinematic", but what you actually get is The Matrix Reloaded, all action scenes, and incompetent character building, with a stupid pseudo-philosophical message.

The storytelling of Grim Fandango or The Longest Journey has been flushed down the toilet, for cheap, vapid, unintelligent nonsense. Probably because it doesn't sell, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines or Beyond Good and Evil didn't sell, I guess neither did Grim Fandango. A good story doesn't sell a game, badly animated necrophilia on an abandoned subway train carriage does.

Is it society? Is it the game industry? Has God forsaken us?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:18 AM   #45

I like Gamespot and I think they're about right when it comes to Dreamfall. The voice actors are great but otherwise there are too many problems, including not being up front about this not being a complete game.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:12 AM   #46
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_ View Post
A good story doesn't sell a game, badly animated necrophilia on an abandoned subway train carriage does.
True, but it doesn't hurt it either. There are games with reasonably good stories - at least as good as those found in most recent adventures - that sell well (MGS, FF, KOTOR, Silent Hill...). It's just that people care more about compelling gameplay and what I'd call the badass factor, and most current adventures seem to be lacking in both.

But I don't want to turn this into another "what's wrong with adventure games" type of thread, I just wanted to say it's no wonder GameSpot got rid of the Adventure category.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:55 AM   #47
Your average crooner

Quote:
True, but it doesn't hurt it either. There are games with reasonably good stories - at least as good as those found in most recent adventures - that sell well (MGS, FF, KOTOR, Silent Hill...). It's just that people care more about compelling gameplay and what I'd call the badass factor, and most current adventures seem to be lacking in both.
You have quite a mix of examples there. KOTOR does really have a good story, but the other three are just a bunch of cliches wrongly told and put together to impress in the most superficial ways. They are very far to the characters, universe, charm and whatever from KOTOR and, well, all those adventures mentioned avove.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:04 AM   #48
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson View Post
You have quite a mix of examples there. KOTOR does really have a good story, but the other three are just a bunch of cliches wrongly told and put together to impress in the most superficial ways.
Just like Black Mirror, Secret Files: Tunguska and so on. Their stories have nothing significant to say, they exist only to satisfy the needs of mystery fans. They're cheap and ultimately disposable.

Last edited by insane_cobra; 12-22-2006 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:16 AM   #49
Fulci lives

Screw Gamespot, we should have our own awards ceremony here at Adventuregamers.com! An awards ceremony where us forumers get to vote for the best and worst adventure games of the year!
Huh, how about it, does that sound like a good idea?
Yes, it does.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:32 AM   #50
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan View Post
Screw Gamespot, we should have our own awards ceremony here at Adventuregamers.com! An awards ceremony where us forumers get to vote for the best and worst adventure games of the year!
Huh, how about it, does that sound like a good idea?
Yes, it does.
Thats a great idea!

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 12-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #51
Your average crooner

Quote:
Just like Black Mirror, Secret Files: Tunguska and so on. Their stories have nothing significant to say, they exist only to satisfy the needs of mystery fans. They're cheap and ultimately disposable.
True. Though the way the story is told is slightly better in Black Mirror, which took full advantage of the gothic setting and usherian house.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:29 AM   #52

IGN named Culture Shock as Best Adventure game.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #53
Hitch-Hiker

Did gamespot have a puzzle game category at least?

_

Old 12-29-2006, 05:32 AM   #54

Yup, it did have that category this year
Old 12-30-2006, 12:36 AM   #55
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
Gamespot? I thought we all agreed (and by all agreed I mean completely ignored everyone who thought differently) that Gamespot were clueless in regards to Adventure games and as such would no longer be mentioned in this forum. Ever.
This is so tiring.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 12-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
Gamespot? I thought we all agreed (and by all agreed I mean completely ignored everyone who thought differently) that Gamespot were clueless in regards to Adventure games and as such would no longer be mentioned in this forum. Ever.
(Period).

I always refer to gamespot, but NEVER for adventure.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #57
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
This is so tiring.
But not quite tiring enough to prevent you from posting about how tiring it is, ey?