You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sherlock Holmes advertisements

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Sherlock Holmes advertisements

Since we all lament about how little advertising is done for adventure games, I thought I'd pass along some pics of a subway advertisement for Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened. Photos taken in Quebec, Canada, where a French version of the game has been released already.

Maybe adventures are advertised much more widely in Europe, but in North America it's practically non-existent. Of course, it's still practically non-existent in English North America, but you gotta start somewhere.

The game is published by Focus Home Interactive and being distributed in Quebec by PMD-Logisoft, which seems to distribute a TON o' games, including many adventures. Great to see some companies throwing major support behind their adventures.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Cool! I wonder how much money an advertising campaign like that costs?

That subway is so clean.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

I think you need to pay extra for a FULL station.

I have no idea how much it costs, but assuming it's (relatively) reasonable, it seems a good place to advertise. People have to stand around for a few minutes and look at something. Unlike so many other places we see advertising, a subway is one of those places you actually WANT to see some interesting ads (in lieu of anything better to look at, anyway).
Old 12-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

That's really neat!

In Boston, where I grew up, the coolest posters were always stolen out of the frames before the ad campaign was up. I wonder if that'll happen with this.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Regardless of whether this game turns out to be any good, it does have nice covert/poster art.

I want a poster of that .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
That's really neat!

In Boston, where I grew up, the coolest posters were always stolen out of the frames before the ad campaign was up. I wonder if that'll happen with this.
I remember a H&M campaign with posters featuring Pamela Anderson in a H&M bikini years ago (when Baywatch was still on). It resulted in tons of glass-smashing damage everywhere.

--Erwin
Old 12-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

That is so cool. Can you imagine posters for Zak McKracken or Space Quest on the subways?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #8

Woah I was in Montreal last week and I saw that poster at Snowdon. Maybe we saw each other? In fact, I think those are my legs on the second pic There is another one at Berri and Runaway 2 is advertised too.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #9
capsized.

MON DIEU!

Eww, French! *washes his mouth to clean his tongue from nasal vowel overdose* I wonder what makes companies always change titles in such cases, though. I don't even speak French, but "La nuit des... (eww)" hardly translates to "The awakened" or anything near it, does it?

Not that any of this is of big importance (and I really don't have anything against French, oh contraire!). Good find.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:01 AM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Here in Rio the advertise in Metro is very creative: http://www.metrorio.com.br/metromidia.htm but I don't remender if there is someday a game advertise of any kind. It would be cool.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:02 AM   #11
QFG

That is, without doubt, the cleanest subway EVER.

That said, it's too bad there aren't more advertisements like that here in the States. It would be GREAT to see that happen! I wonder how much a poster campaign costs compared to other marketing schemes?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:39 AM   #12
XXJ

Wonderful!!! Marvelous poster!
Old 12-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
That subway is so clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QFG View Post
That is, without doubt, the cleanest subway EVER.
Pardon me asking, but what do the US subways look like, then? Having seen the underground train in Warsaw, Budapest and Paris I never had developed a "subway station = dirty place" association. In fact, the one in the picture looked rather ugly to me in comparison (no doubt largely due to the worn out brick-layered floor).
Old 12-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #14
QFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Pardon me asking, but what do the US subways look like, then? Having seen the underground train in Warsaw, Budapest and Paris I never had developed a "subway station = dirty place" association. In fact, the one in the picture looked rather ugly to me in comparison (no doubt largely due to the worn out brick-layered floor).

Just from the first page of Google images. I don't have any personally - pulling out a camera on the DC Metro is like begging for it to be stolen - but those are all pretty accurate.