You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Whispered World

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #401

Should I play the German or the English version?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #402
overall swell guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
ADan, I don't want to argue about it (I already did that with Steve Ince) and I certainly don't mean to criticize your translation and your hard work. No translator is perfect anyway, not even the very best ones.
Oh, I didn't take it that way at all. I admit that I don't really know. It all depends ...

I don't consider myself to be an outstanding translator (as you might know this was my first job in the gaming industry, so how could I be?) But I do know that I can transport the original humor good enough for someone to build on.

I guess that's what I was trying to say. That and maybe take a stand, mark my claim, tell everyone that I like language and it's deeply gratifying to do a job like that if you do. And sometimes you don't even have to be trained for something to actually do it.

Of course I'd be interested in what Steve had to say about it and maybe he'll tell us himself on this board some time. (I've seen him on a few threads here).

So once again, don't worry about my (supposedly fragile) feelings ; )

Cheers, Dan.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #403
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonax View Post
Should I play the German or the English version?
My highly subjective advice: find the German and English trailers on youtube. Don't pay too much attention to what you see (spoilers ) and concentrate on the voices, above all Sadwick's voice. Choose the Sadwick you like best, cause you'll have to listen to his comments all game long.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #404
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADan View Post
I don't consider myself to be an outstanding translator (as you might know this was my first job in the gaming industry, so how could I be?) But I do know that I can transport the original humor good enough for someone to build on.

I guess that's what I was trying to say. That and maybe take a stand, mark my claim, tell everyone that I like language and it's deeply gratifying to do a job like that if you do. And sometimes you don't even have to be trained for something to actually do it.
Absolutely!

Are you also involved in the translation of Edna? The amount of work must be staggering. I'm one of Edna and Harvey's most devoted fans.

PS: If you're not allowed to answer my question, no problem.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #405
overall swell guy

Quote:
Absolutely!

Are you also involved in the translation of Edna? The amount of work must be staggering. I'm one of Edna and Harvey's most devoted fans.

PS: If you're not allowed to answer my question, no problem.
I really don't know. If I told you I was not allowed to talk about it that would mean that I am working on it. So how could I answer that other than not answering? And not answering would be an answer as well. So what am I supposed to do???

Well this translation talk has been a bit off topic anyway so let's get back to TWW.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #406
Senior *female* member

Quote:
I really don't know. If I told you I was not allowed to talk about it that would mean that I am working on it. So how could I answer that other than not answering? And not answering would be an answer as well. So what am I supposed to do???
Not replying could have meant anything. You might not have seen my post. Daedalic or that American publisher what's-his-name might have lost interest in the English localisation for whatever reason. You may not know anything about it. Someone else is doing the translating. Etcetera, etcetera.

Quote:
Well this translation talk has been a bit off topic anyway so let's get back to TWW.
By all means, let's get back to TWW. I do not believe for a moment that the developers had a children's game in mind. It's targeted at adults, marketing and all. Which doesn't mean that children can't play it. Edna won some kind of kids award, but I wouldn't let a six-year old near it. Far too dark. And I clearly remember Poki singing Befreit Edna aus dem Kinderspielregal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwNgtBeBMvA
Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #407
overall swell guy

Quote:
Not replying could have meant anything. You might not have seen my post. Daedalic or that American publisher what's-his-name might have lost interest in the English localisation for whatever reason. You may not know anything about it. Someone else is doing the translating. Etcetera, etcetera.
Well, I didn't say nothing, did I ? (Just to use one of my favorites: the double negation plus question tag) Are you trying to tease me?

Quote:
By all means, let's get back to TWW. I do not believe for a moment that the developers had a children's game in mind. It's targeted at adults, marketing and all. Which doesn't mean that children can't play it. Edna won some kind of kids award, but I wouldn't let a six-year old near it. Far too dark. And I clearly remember Poki singing Befreit Edna aus dem Kinderspielregal.
I still think the whole thing would work perfectly as a children's book. I wouldn't even be surprised if someone wrote it.

And yes, there are some pretty weird moments in "Edna bricht aus". Some that are so not PC (politically correct this time) that it should be hard to get them translated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwNgtBeBMvA[/QUOTE]

Cheers, Dan.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #408
Bon
The Tentacle

The whole coming of age theme seems suited for teens.. But, like modern cartoon films, it's made for everyone.. Everyone can enjoy it
Old 05-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #409
overall swell guy

Default Hello Fien

Just followed the link you provided before i'm going to bed ...

Really had to laugh.

Yes, Edna is not a children's game. But TWW is. Although it can be enjoyed by all. And together, too (yes, Bon, you're right, as well).

Cheers and good night, Dan.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #410
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Yes, Edna is not a children's game. But TWW is. Although it can be enjoyed by all. And together, too.
Yeah? So PROVE it's a children's game. PROVE that children were the target group (and adults are allowed to play too). You cannot. Because it is not true.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #411

Quote:
Yeah? So PROVE it's a children's game. PROVE that children were the target group (and adults are allowed to play too). You cannot. Because it is not true.
Random interjection here: I never once considered this to be a childs game. (notice the full-stop?)
Old 05-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #412
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakash View Post
Random interjection here: I never once considered this to be a childs game. (notice the full-stop?)
What about the full stop?
Sorry, I forgot my decoder ring. Care to explain?

EDIT: Oh wait... you mean "period"??
I guess I'm getting too senior for these forums. I'm out of touch.

Last edited by Fien; 05-03-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #413
Bon
The Tentacle

Quote:
You can't handle the proof!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #414
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
You can't handle the proof!
What proof?
Still looking for that damned decoder ring...
Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #415
Bon
The Tentacle

Exactly!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #416

The Whispered World is not tagged as a game aimed at children, nor has it been promoted as one. I think that is more or less established now.Therefore it is perfectly valid for a reviewer to review it as a game aimed at the standard all ages market. So, there was nothing controversial or unfair about the offending review and the opinions expressed therein were perfectly valid (i don't neccesarilly agree with them all but that's irrelevant).

Personally, i'm pleased that ADan has alerted us that this game will be less satisfying to adults because i was thinking of buying it and I can spend my money on a different game now that I know this game isn't suitable for me.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Personally, i'm pleased that ADan has alerted us that this game will be less satisfying to adults because i was thinking of buying it and I can spend my money on a different game now that I know this game isn't suitable for me.
Bah that's terrible logic! Have you read all the replies? I specifically said that I'm 25 with a 6 year old son and, although we enjoy it equally, there is more to the character and the world that I can appreciate that goes over his head. There's something in there for him, no doubt, but I can't help but feel I get a little more out of it in other ways. So buy it, dammit!

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 05-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #418
overall swell guy

Quote:
What does this mean? I don't have to prove anything. It's just that I - personally - read the whole storyline as one of a children's story. So What?

The whole Harry Potter series (the books) is directed first and foremost at children. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy all of them (as books, audiobooks and movies (don't know about the games)) repeatedly.

I thought I made it quite clear that I think all ages can play TWW and get a thrill of it.
I certainly don't want to turn away anyone from playing the game. There is this demo out and I recommend everyone to give it a try. You'll know if you want to play it or not.

Maybe all becomes a little clearer if I tell you that I even believe that the original Monkey Island Adventures are children's/ youth games.

I also mentioned (on the review thread for TWW) that TWW has won the German Video Games award in the category of best youth game.

Mind you, I am not trying to prove anything here. But this is as close as I can get . I *never* claimed that it is marketed as a children's game or anything. Let's just say that it can be a great family experience like it obviously is for Sughly and his / her son.
And very much like the Harry Potter series or the Inkworld series it can be shared throughout and between different generations.

Hope things are clearer now, cheers, Dan.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #419
Senior *female* member

Quote:
What does this mean? I don't have to prove anything. It's just that I - personally - read the whole storyline as one of a children's story. So What?
I didn't read your rebuttal of the eurogamer review as your subjective opinion, more like you were stating a fact, especially in the light of your comments on the voiceacting. But you and cbman are right... I should have read the posts that followed your rebuttal more carefully.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:50 AM   #420

Quote:
Let's just say that it can be a great family experience like it obviously is for Sughly and his / her son
'His', thank you very much

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance