You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #1

Default Advice please

hey.....
I started playing adventure games about 18 months ago.. and got totally hooked. I started with Broken Sword Sleeping Dragon, and went on to do Syberia one and two, Grim Fandango (of course) a couple of the monkey islands, longest journey, and sanitarium. i think that's it.

Problem i now have is, i bought the new dreamfall, and can't play it on my Laptop or home PC as they're not up to spec. I guess if i try the new Broken Sword i'll fall afoul again.

So.... my question is... what can i get in the same vein as the above mentioned games to keep me happy because i can't afford a new PC! I do run XP, 1.4 processor, 512 ram.. etc.

PS i hate first person games. just can't get into them!!

any help appreciated... thankyou!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Indigo Prophecy
Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2
Gabriel Knight 3
Dracula 1 & 2
Amerzone
Fate of Atlantis
Sam and Max Hit the Road
Old 12-09-2006, 02:54 AM   #3
Kung Fu Code Poet

beneath a steel sky...

it is free now after all.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
beneath a steel sky...

it is free now after all.
And Flight of the Amazon Queen of course.

Some people don't like it that much but I really enjoyed it. For free it's worth checking out in any case.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

You should also try out the first two Broken Sword games (Broken Sword - The Shadow of The Templars and Broken Sword 2 - The Smoking Mirror). The sold-out double pack edition costs around $10, and should be avalible at most game stores. However, the double pack edition runs from a DVD, and if you don't have a DVDplayer, there are individual versions of the games, on the sold-out label, put on Cd-roms (they cost about the same as the double pack, and shouldn't be hard to find).

About Dreamfall, if you have a X-box you could always try to pick up a x-box version of the game.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #6

thanks guys... unfortunately my technology won't be upgraded for a while so i got what i got.... gonna check out the free stuff for sure!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Corley Rider

I too can really recommend Broken Sword 1 and 2, Thats the games that got me into adventuregaming. Great games, espesially the first one. Allso Full Throttle, and all the other old Lucas Arts adventures will work if you use ScummVM to play them.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:57 AM   #8

i had a quick look.. is the scum vm thing all safe to use... looks ok but just wanted to be sure.. and where's the best site to get it off? want to avoid adware and the like!!

def. gonna check out the first two broken swords.. i loved the third one.. crates and all.. but don't think my laptop will be up to the new one.. i even just finished playing it twice.. the only other game i played twice was Grim Fandango.

ta!
Old 12-10-2006, 02:19 AM   #9
Corley Rider

There are some more info about ScummVM on the official site http://www.scummvm.org/ And that's allso the best site to download it from I would say. I've been using it for quite a time now without any problems with adware or anything like that, so It's pretty safe.

And BS4 Will most likley not run on your system, I had a hard time getting it to run good on my brand new laptop and had to run it on minimun graphics to avoid the mouselag problem.