You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #281
Seth Balmore

^I’m curious to see how this will turn out. Also, will they be able to keep all the voices in?

Anyway, I’ll be moving back to Europe this summer so this works out quite well for me. ^_^ I do hope that a US publisher will pick it up as well but there is always the option of importing it of course. Most importantly however; hope the DS port turns out to be good.

Thanks for the link fajerkaos.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #282

Unsolved Crimes

"This crime detective adventure integrates action with 3D crime investigation and sees players stepping into the shoes of a rookie detective in the Homicide Division. Set in a stylized 1970’s New York, together with your partner, you must solve the kidnapping of model Betsy Blake"

"Fusing Western and Japanese gaming elements
Mr.Toshiaki Awamura, President of Now Production Company Limited said, “Now Production has created a highly, intuitive game that combines an interactive, realistic 3D environment, with compelling tests of the intellect. We fused Western and Japanese gaming elements to create a game that anyone who likes TV cop shows will enjoy - from more casual gamers, to the more experienced. We’ve developed a game we think is going to especially appeal to Western gamers"
Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #283

Anyone seen a review or any info on a game called American Girl: Kit Mystery Challenge, release date is june [I think] I have looked on this site [but I am not very good at searching for things]. It may be released under another name.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #284

Just picked up 6 adventure games for the DS for $9.99 - $19.99 each.

First up for play is "Jake Hunter" - the reviews baked it alive -- but I'm actually enjoying the game so far.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekelly View Post
First up for play is "Jake Hunter" - the reviews baked it alive -- but I'm actually enjoying the game so far.

Please tell us what you think after you play it more! I was really looking forward to this game but was turned off by the reviews.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #286
One for the road?

I also happen to be playing Jake Hunter at the moment. It's very basic, and a bit repetitive, but it does what it says on the tin.

I also have the Japanese version, and was disappointed to learn that three of the other cases, including the only one that isn't a port, have been left out the US release.

The first five cases are ports of the first few mobile phone games, themselves remakes of NES titles. Only the sixth one was made exclusively for the DS, and it's by far the longest and most involved.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #287

Jake Hunter reminds me of old Amiga adventure games.

Still art with lots of text. However, for 19.95 it is quite fun. The crimes are fun and the charaters engaging.

I'm actually going to keep the game after I've played it.

There are TONS of good adventure games on the DS for $9.95 - $19.95 too.

"Last King of Africa" I bet salvages "Paradise" and elevates it to "decent" level. The bugs are supposed to be gone in the DS version.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:32 AM   #288
full of tricks

Been a while since i checked this place, but I don't think this has been mentioned yet.

North American release date: September 23, 2008

I've not looked into the story in detail, but basically the main protagonist can change history with a 'Time Pen'. The story was written/directed by Junko Kawano, who also previously worked on Shadow of Destiny/Memories.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #289
One for the road?

Another one I just finished...

Simple DS Series Vol. 42: The Haioku Byoutou (The Abandoned Ward)

Official site here.

It's a first-person, Ringu-esque, ghost story about the vengeful spirts of murdered children. Played exclusively with the stylus, the text is entirely in Japanese, yet the gameplay is fairly straightforward; only one puzzle involving katakana symbols will cause the player any trouble.

It's short, no more than 5 to 7 hours (at a stretch). It's fun, though. And cheap.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #290
Chicken with a bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrider View Post
Suda 51 is releasing alot of his adventure titles on the DS. The latest one is Flower, Sun, and Rain. Not sure if it's going to come out outside of Japan, but since his other DS release is possibly getting localized (The Silver Case) we might be seeing it on our shores.

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/11/28/a...-coming-to-ds/
Confirmed for Europe

Press Release
Quote:
CLASSIC SUDA51 TITLE HEADS WEST FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER
Revered Japanese title finally gets a European release as Suda51 updates his PlayStation 2 masterpiece; Trailer to be unveiled on August 1st 2008

Luton – July 30th 2008 – Rising Star Games will be keeping both Suda51 and mystery fans happy this autumn with the long-awaited release of Flower, Sun and Rain.

Written and directed by the infamous games creator, this Nintendo DS™ exclusive is the first chance western gamers have had to experience one of Suda51’s earliest creations and offers an insight into the evolution of his unique style following the huge successes of Killer7 and No More Heroes.

Flower, Sun and Rain is an intriguing mystery adventure very much in the vein of Groundhog Day. You play a detective charged with locating and defusing a bomb by solving thought-provoking puzzles with a wealth of bizarre outcomes. Solving the mystery of what is happening to him and his surroundings is necessary before he eventually goes insane.

Originally released on the Sony PlayStation®2, Flower, Sun and Rain was never available outside of Japan and has been high on wish lists of every Suda51 fan since Killer7 was unleashed on the western market in 2005. This updated Nintendo DS version features all the creative quirks that made the original a hit and uniquely utilises the touch screen to solve mysteries, offering players a more intimate experience.

Commenting on its imminent release, Goichi Suda, aka Suda51 commented, “It’s great news that European gamers are getting to play Flower, Sun and Rain. All of my creative work involves a touch of the bizarre and unexpected and this game is no different!”

In keeping with the mystery-solving style of the game, registered users of the Rising Star Games media bank will get an early opportunity to view the game trailer. This brand new trailer will be available on the media bank (www.risingstargamesmediabank.com) from 9am on Friday, August 1st 2008. It will then be made available to all from 9am the following Monday.

Flower, Sun and Rain will be released throughout Europe from mid-October 2008.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:23 PM   #291
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

I thought it was worth mentioning that The Last King of Africa appearantly was shown of at PAX.
An adventure made with the DS in mind, from the creators of Syberia. (A port of their old game, Paradise.)
I'm actually surprised by how good they've made it look on the DS.

Last edited by fajerkaos; 09-01-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: what Kurufinwe said
Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajerkaos View Post
I thought it was worth mentioning that The Last King of Africa appearantly was shown of at PAX.
An adventure made with the DS in mind, from the creators of Syberia.
I'm actually surprised by how good it looks.
Contrary to what the article you linked to says, it is a port – of Paradise, with some new stuff. Speaking of which, I wonder if we'll get the elephant minigame that was cut from the PC version, or the fuller ending (and generally better story-telling) that appeared in the graphic novels.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 09-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #293

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I can't help but wonder: why change the title? To fool the neglectful player? The heedless one?

Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #294

Paradise for the PC was a lovely game.....BUT had lots and lots AND lots of bugs!

I could not finish it myself - a bug got me 80 percent of the way to completing the game.

That being said, a name change is a good idea - reviews of the bug-free DS version - now called "Last King of Africa" have been quite good.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:04 AM   #295

Paradise for PC was horribly buggy. I really like Benoît Sokal's games, but I hit game-ending bugs twice in that game relatively early on. First time got bugged on rebuilding the truck, restarted eventually and got bugged loading the big cat on the truck. I didn't feel like restarting again.

One of the only games I actually stopped playing purely because of bugs (considering I was a QA Tester at the time...).

I don't know if the game is good enough to convince me to buy it again as a bug-free DS version.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #296

I just got done playing my LAST PC adventure game - Art of Murder 2.

I liked the game - better than the reviews easily.

I really liked Secret Files 1 too - nice graphics and the puzzles were fun to figure out.

I now play ALL my adventure games on my Nintendo DS it is mainly compatability, not all PC games run on all PCs. Also, I love the Japanese adventure games like Theresisa: Dear Emily.

So needless to say, Secret Files 2 for my DS is a must buy - it looks fabulous and should be fun to play too.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #297

Unfortunately, I just finished Last King of Africa and it has some bugs as well. (I haven't play paradise).
Many times I saw the character going thru items in the bacground..Bad game design. Near to the end of the game I coudn't solve a puzzle because of a bug.I had to go to another saved game and start from this point again.
And sometimes you take an item and then it is still here. If you try to take it again, then two same items appears in the inventory!! But the second has glitches and its not common..
I liked in the beggining but all this problems turn me off. And its my first DS game with bugs!
Old 04-04-2009, 05:58 AM   #298

Right now, I'm playing Broken Sword DC on my Nintendo DS and it is simply fabulous. The reviews of Broken Sword on the DS have been sterling.

I'm glad to see Broken Sword coming out on console systems - PC gaming in general is WAY DOWN from what it once was. I myself - out of the last 38 adventure games I have bought, only 4 of them were on the PC.

The other 34 were on the Nintendo DS. And yes, they are very good too. Adventure games on the DS in Japan have been known to sell millions of copies too.

So, will PC gaming disappear, no - not at all -- but it has shrunk in recent years - and there are advantages to consoles - the games always boot up - and I can't say the same for PC games. Compatability has always been iffy on the PC.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #299
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekelly View Post
I'm glad to see Broken Sword coming out on console systems - PC gaming in general is WAY DOWN from what it once was. I myself - out of the last 38 adventure games I have bought, only 4 of them were on the PC.

The other 34 were on the Nintendo DS. And yes, they are very good too. Adventure games on the DS in Japan have been known to sell millions of copies too.
Are you sure there are actually that many adventure games available for the DS?

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #300

I indeed have 34 adventure games on the DS. I have 10 on a waiting list to buy.

The last full-price (non-bargin priced) adventure game for the PC was indeed "Paradise". I'm playing it now for the second time with all the patches installed.

The game is simply beautiful, stunning music too and it plays like a dream so far. I saw the $9.95 version in a little box at Target and it has all the patches installed.

I'll still but the DS version and play it - bugs and all - Paradise is an interesting adventure game - some loved it and some didn't. But then again, Syberia was not loved by everyone too.