You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 05:41 AM   #261

There is a new Nancy Drew game coming for DS:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1614
Old 02-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #262
full of tricks

Thought you guys may be interested with this news since Jake Hunter will be released in America soon. It was announced last month, but i didn't see anyone mention it yet

Tantei Jinguuji Saburo DS: Kienai Kokoro(trans: Detective Jinguuji Saburo DS: Unfading Heart) has been anounced for an Apr 24 '08 release in Japan. It is the second 'Tantei Jinguuji Saburo' for the DS, but the series has been around for 20 years and is in fact the 12th game in the the long running series. (Probably more than that, if you count some of the cellphone games ) The game is being developed by Work Jam (as was the previous game).

There's a decent chance for an english release if the sales for Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles do well.
Name:  sabu.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  38.2 KB

Famitsu page with Pics
Old 02-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #263
One for the road?

Currently heading my way:
Tantei Jinguuji Saburou DS: Inishie no Kioku (Jake Hunter)

The Kanshikikan 2 - Aratanaru 8-tsu no Jiken wo Touch seyo

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (hooray!)

Other (Japanese) DS adventures released and upcoming (some of which may have been mentioned earlier):

Apathy

Keiji J.B. Harold no Jikenbo: Satsujin Club

Otona no DS Mystery II: Idzumi Jiken Fair

Blackjack

Time Hollow

Lux Pain

Akagawa Jirou Mystery: Yasoukyoku

DS Toukemuri Suspense Series: Free Writer Touyako
Old 02-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #264
full of tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpingFish View Post
Whilst I admit my japanese isn't 100%; and I know gamefaqs listed it as that name, but I'm pretty sure the game is called Yukemuri Suspense Series: Free Writer Tachibana Maki. Its full name is much much longer, but let's not go there lol

And for those that are curious (and not been reading the Japanese thread ), I had also made/making a list of DS adventure games that are currently only available for in Japan. Most of which have been mentioned by LimpingFish anyway

JAPAN-ONLY DS GAMES
Old 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #265
One for the road?

I can't believe I completely missed that section of your site!

I just went from "Main" to "The Games".

Maybe, instead of having these games under "Extra", you could add a link under "The Games" for "Japan Only" or something?

Great work, so far, though.

EDIT: I noticed "Michigan: Report from Hell" (PS2) never got a release in the US, but was released in Europe. It's another Suda 51/Grasshopper production, and more or less an adventure game (lot's of dialog, no combat, etc). Odd.

Last edited by LimpingFish; 02-23-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #266
full of tricks

Well the idea was to put all the japanese adv. games that are available in english into the 'games' section. And everything else that doesn't fit there would be shoved into 'extra'. It's still only a side project for me, so a lot of stuff needs to be worked on.

And I always thought Michigan was a survival horror game, guess i'll have to check it out later.

Anyway, back on topic! With Professor Layton and Apollo Justice being the big DS adventure news over here, let's see whats been happening over in Japan in the past week:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Already mentioned before, Keiji JB Harold no Jikenbo: Satsujin Club (trans: Detective JB Harold's Case Files: Murder Club); commonly known as JB Harold:Murder Club, was released for the DS courtesy of Althi and Fonfun. The game is in fact a remake of the classic japanese detective game called JB Harold:Murder club back in 1986. The game recieved quite a few ports and remakes in the past. Some people here may have known it from the Turbografx CD version of the game back in 1992, as it was released stateside and even had voice acting (both English and Japanese selectable!).

No word on any english release, but the american style and setting certainly helps its case!

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  40.8 KB

Don't expect it to be 'great', Famitsu magazine gave it a 25/40 mark. If it's anything like the Turbografx game, the gameplay itself is entirely menu based. But don't expect to breeze through it. I found it a lot more 'open' (i.e. non-linear) than the average japanese adventure game, and ended up trying to go through every possible option!

Official Site: http://www.fonfun.co.jp/ds/jbm/
Screenshots on Famitsu: http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1212136_1407.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Success-corp, the publishers of the Touch Detective series for the DS, have recently announced a new detective adventure game in development called Otoshi Deka. Details are little (I know the main character is called, wait for it, 'Aloha' lol), but it's been dated for a June 15th 08 release. Judging from the screenshots, it seems to be your typical [Japanese] detective game! The game is being developed by Beyond Interactive.

Official Site: http://www.success-corp.co.jp/softwa...shi/index.html
Screenshots on Famitsu: http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1213710_1407.html
Old 03-04-2008, 02:01 AM   #267
XXJ

Default Time Hollow

Time Hollow new trailer

And I played "Professor Layton and the Curious Village" English demo version. Layton's voice and Luke's voice are wonderful!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #268
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I wonder what's the best way to learn Japanese. I could of course buy language cd's, but they'll only implant a few hundred words/phrases in my head, and not give me the ability to actually understand and read Japanese, and while I could pay for a letter course (exp?) I don't really have 2000kr to pay for a hobby..

(sorry, completely off topic, I'm just getting more and more interested in Japanese culture, and would like to be able to understand what they say in my favourite movies, and to play some of the games mentioned here..)

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 03-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #269
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
I wonder what's the best way to learn Japanese. I could of course buy language cd's, but they'll only implant a few hundred words/phrases in my head, and not give me the ability to actually understand and read Japanese, and while I could pay for a letter course (exp?) I don't really have 2000kr to pay for a hobby..
There are a number of useful free resources online. I'll tell you the free path I've been taking.
Start out with Project LRNJ (free version); that'll teach you katakana, hiragana, and a couple hundred kanji. Being able to read katakana will allow you to recognize a lot of words borrowed from english, while knowing your hiragana will make it easier to use dictionaries. I recommend Jim Breen's excellent WWWJDIC online dictionary. Note that you can also copy-paste kanji into it. For a more on-the-fly dictionary while surfing, the Rikaichan plugin for firefox is great.
Next up, get some basic words and elementary grammar skills, to tell at a glance which parts of a sentence are located where and where one word stops and the next begins. Basic words and phrases are easily found (like these two courses), and grammar overviews are out there too (like About.com's ).
I'm not sure about the way to go after that, because I haven't gotten much further myself. I'm guessing it involves getting that vocabulary down and getting a lot of practice, which I haven't found much time for lately.
Hope this helps. Not sure it's the best path, but it is quite economical.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #270
full of tricks

There's a new English trailer for Jake Hunter here!

It's been scheduled for 3rd May release.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #271

I have just found out that Ankh has been remade for the DS, and called 'Curse of the Scarab King'. Has anyone played it? And the official website says that it includes the voice acting, which sounds interesting. Anyone know anything else about it?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #272
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

The Wikipedia page for Time Hollow states that there apparently is a release date set for April 08 in Australia. No actual source mentioned though.

Just thought you might wanna know.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #273

Hey DS adventure fans, what are your thoughts on the screenshots and premise of the last murder mystery game announced on the machine, "Unsolved Crimes" from Japanese Developper "Now Production" and to get published Worldwide (except Asia) in late 2008 ?

The game is already in english (while developped by a japanese team) and It looks really promising :p

Definitively the adventure game I'm looking forward the most too right now
Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #274
XXJ

Default Time Hollow

Spoiler:
I just finished this game. Excellent gameplay and interesting story. Many beautiful movies are inserted.But this game is too short ! ! ! It take about only 5 hours to finish this game. I'm frustrated! I want to cry !
Old 04-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #275

Been a while since this thread's been bumped, but it seems like the "Turnabout Prosecutor" Phoenix Wright spinoff deserves a mention in this thread, even if it already has its own thread.

Also, while this is only tangentially relevant, I figured it might be of some interest to some of you: Kyle Hyde (from Hotel Dusk) and Ashley Robbins from (Trace Memory/Another Code) both appear as collectible trophies in Super Smash Bros Brawl. There are also several collectible stickers from each of those games as well. Just thought you might want to know. I can post screenshots of the Kyle Hyde trophy if people are interested, but I'm a looooong ways off from unlocking Ashley, it seems.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #276

No bites? Aw. Well, since I unlocked the Ashley trophy (yay, golden hammers) I figured I'd post a couple screens for all none of you that cared. A picture's worth a thousand words...

On a television, the aliasing isn't so obvious. She's not especially detailed, but it captures her character pretty well. A lot better than the model used in the DS game itself...

What screenshots can't capture is that Hyde's trophy, while flat, is actually subtly animated, using the game's trademark hand-sketched style. It's a great effect.

I also posted several shots of the Elite Beat Agents trophy and the Ouendan trophy (both of which are based on quirky DS games, but not adventures), if you happen to be interested.

Last edited by LuigiHann; 04-15-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #277

I would like to say get Professor Lyton and the curious town, but I went to buy a copy and 6 diff stores where sold out, so I am thinking that means its good?.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #278
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Eb Games in Clarkson has a couple....
Old 04-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #279
King Silly

That does it, I'll go buy a DS.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #280
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

Syberia to be ported to DS.