You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I should also qualify that 99% number as not being scientific in any way. It would be better to say a vast majority of those games don't get an English release. If you can find the info about it getting one, I'd love to see it (because the game looks cool).
It may not be as unlikely now as it was years ago. Keep in mind that the DS has a 50 million person installed base worldwide, with a little over 30 million of that being in an English speaking market. Not only that, but the DS is huge among older crowds and the range of software is pretty diverse. Given the potential audience and the relatively low cost of doing a translation, it doesn't seem like it would be a big risk for a company to farm out a localization (no matter how obscure the game is). Even if a game were only to sell under a 100k, that should be enough to recoup the investment in a translation.

I think its a matter of showing interest and getting people talking about games that are coming out, especially of the adventure genre.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrider View Post
It may not be as unlikely now as it was years ago. Keep in mind that the DS has a 50 million person installed base worldwide, with a little over 30 million of that being in an English speaking market. Not only that, but the DS is huge among older crowds and the range of software is pretty diverse. Given the potential audience and the relatively low cost of doing a translation, it doesn't seem like it would be a big risk for a company to farm out a localization (no matter how obscure the game is). Even if a game were only to sell under a 100k, that should be enough to recoup the investment in a translation.

I think its a matter of showing interest and getting people talking about games that are coming out, especially of the adventure genre.
True, true. The one thing that tends to be an issue is that Japanese adventure games are so heavily reliant on massive amounts of text, so while the cost and risk of translation is probably low, it can still be a big ordeal to localize something that equates to an interactive novel.

I will agree that the number of Japanese DS adventures getting translated into English is pretty impressive, considering how rare translations have been of Japanese PC Adventures, or those of any other system for that matter.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #243
XXJ

Default Last King of Africa

I went to white bird production HP and found this article!!!

Quote:
White Birds is currently adapting the game Paradise on the Nintendo DS, under the new name Last King of Africa. This version specifically adapted to the handheld console mixes up gorgeous graphics with specific stylus gameplay. The game will be ready mid-2008.
yay!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #244

Just thought I'd add my initial thoughts on a couple of recent European releases that I got to try briefly:

Myst DS totally sucks. Imagine taking the original PC version and shrinking it down onto the DS screen without making any other changes. That game you just imagined is a thousand times better than the broken piece of crap that Midway released.

Runaway TDOTT is beautifully ported. Holding the stylus against the screen automatically zooms in, showing off the fantastic art work and letting you "hover" the cursor to reveal hotspots like in a PC game. I hope more DS adventure games, ports or otherwise, follow this template. I think I'll buy this when it comes out in the U.S., assuming it's not so much more expensive than the PC version that I feel like an idiot doing so.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #245

Paradise for the DS?? YES PLEASE!!!

[Note to LucasArts: Put your damn adventures on a cart and make a flipping mint or GTFO!!!]
Old 01-12-2008, 04:35 AM   #246

Im going to buy DS soon, with R4. And I want to know are there any homebrew adventures?
I believe there are. Do you guys know any sites dedicated to them or something like this?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #247
Super Moderator

If you haven't seen this yet, there is an online flash demo for Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. It's really cool and a chance for those without a DS to see what the Ace Attorney games are like (at least the courtroom parts).

@ Madtricks: The Wikipedia entry may help you find something:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_homebrew
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #248

I try to keep up with homebrew on DS, and I've not come across any original homebrew adventure games. ScummVM for DS is awesome, though.

Also, I don't expect anybody to go out of their way to import this, but it's interesting that Crimson Room was ported to DS in Japan. http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/crimsonroom/
Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #249

Plus those text adventures
Old 01-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #250
Super Moderator

Lookie here (I'm not spamming, I just want to make sure people see it and I'm too lazy to cut and paste )
Old 01-25-2008, 04:53 AM   #251

So what are the most awaited DS games of 2008?

I have just got hold of a DS lite and I have Hotel Dusk, Undercover: Dual Motives (German version but language set to english - poor translation though), Runaway and Nancy Drew (well I downloaded this one and it's a bit girly lol).

Most Awaited 2008 Titles
===================
(in no order)

The Last King of Africa
Silver Case
Time Hollow
Sinking Island
Professor Layton

Anybody want to add to this list?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #252
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Phoenix Wright 3 and Apollo Justice are propably my most awaited games of 2008 for Nintendo DS.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
Phoenix Wright 3 and Apollo Justice are propably my most awaited games of 2008 for Nintendo DS.
Me too. I could easily buy the US/Japanese 'Trials and Tribulations', but it feels somehow wrong to me. Plus it wouldn't help improve/encourage sales in Europe when it finally arrives.

I'm finding the complete lack of European release date for PW3 deeply frustrating. In fact, if I didn't think it would harm my carefully cultivated 'tough guy' image, I might shed a tear. Just one mind, lets not go crazy.

Last edited by noknowncure; 01-25-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #254

YAY! Got my DS couple days ago.
Im currently playing Trace memory, only adventure game Ive got.

I think I saw list of pointandclick adventure games relased on ds in this thread...but I cant find it anymore.

I know:
Trace Memory
Touch Detective (+Touch Detective 2?)
Hotel Dusk
Runaway 2
Old 02-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #255
Headbanger

I checked out the trailer for "Professor Layton and the Curious Village". Seems great. To bad that it will only be released in Japan and the US.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #256
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
I checked out the trailer for "Professor Layton and the Curious Village". Seems great. To bad that it will only be released in Japan and the US.
WHAT?!!

Excuse me while I go and bash some European distributor heads..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 02-05-2008, 04:23 AM   #257
jaf
big, hairy and blue

Professor Layton looks so sweet I could cry!
I'm afraid the gameplay may be a bit dull, but just for the animations it'll worth buying it.

Also looking forward to
Ace Attorney 3 and 4

Also is there any news on a new game from the makers of Hotel Dusk? Still my favorite DS AG...
Old 02-05-2008, 06:06 AM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf View Post
Also is there any news on a new game from the makers of Hotel Dusk? Still my favorite DS AG...
Wikipedia says they are working on a Wii game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Story
Old 02-09-2008, 12:53 AM   #259
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I'd buy Hotel Dusk if I could find it for a little bit cheaper price tag somewhere, but I can't even find it in many places anymore and those that sell it have 50€ price tag on it...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #260

Professor Layton is good (Y)
PLAY IT