Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Episodic Adventures. Agree or disagree? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/18024-episodic-adventures-agree-disagree.html)

atjd 12-03-2006 09:40 AM

Episodic Adventures. Agree or disagree?

Do you agree with episodic adventures, like Bone and Sam & Max? I think they represent good value for money. With Sam & Max coming in at £3.60 an episdoe, I think that they (despite their shortness) give more 'bang' for your buck than, say, a cinema ticket!

I'd be intrigued to know what everyone else thinks about the new approach to the 'packaging' of adventure games.

MdaG 12-03-2006 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atjd (Post 369771)
Do you agree with episodic adventures, like Bone and Sam & Max? I think they represent good value for money. With Sam & Max coming in at £3.60 an episdoe, I think that they (despite their shortness) give more 'bang' for your buck than, say, a cinema ticket!

I'd be intrigued to know what everyone else thinks about the new approach to the 'packaging' of adventure games.

Since they release complete seasons I'm all for it. I won't buy a single episode though. I like the epic experiences.

BenjaminBunny 12-03-2006 09:54 AM

I like the convenience of having them online to download.

Captain Blondebeard 12-03-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 369772)
Since they release complete seasons I'm all for it. I won't buy a single episode though. I like the epic experiences.

That is where I stand.

Rapp Scallion 12-03-2006 10:47 AM

I want big worlds to explore, not being stuck in a small area. :shifty:

Legolas813 12-03-2006 10:50 AM

I'd much rather have a full length game if I'm going to pay out money. I would never have played the new Sam and Max episode if it wasn't for GameTap. I'm all for episodic games via that format, seeing that I would never purchase them separately.

Solid Snake 12-03-2006 10:51 AM

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ad.php?t=16361

atjd 12-03-2006 11:08 AM

Episodic Adventure. Agree or disagree?

I did try having a look to see if this thread had been discussed before. Obviously my search wasn't 'deep' enough! I guess that kills of this thread then.

EvilMulder 12-03-2006 11:30 AM

Never mind that, that thread is 3,5 months old. And the first sam&max episode came out in the mean time. That in itself warrants a new thread in my opinion.

That said, I was very sceptic about episodic gaming, but the second bone episode and sam and max managed to change my mind somewhat. I still think it's a shame that by nature an episodic game will have less of an enviroment to explore. I like changing between different screens, it makes it less boring when you become stuck. I also think that's why the episodic games we've seen so far are so easy: you know the solution to the puzzle you're trying to solve has to be in the small area the game takes place in.

Trumgottist 12-03-2006 11:35 AM

I too had my doubts before Bone, but now I'm eagerly waiting for Bone 2.

SamandMax 12-03-2006 11:51 AM

I don't really like episodes and would much rather pay for a full game. I'm already a bit disappointed in Sam and Max as the first episode came out at the start of November, and now I have to wait until January to get the next one. That's a long time to wait when the games only take 3 or 4 hours to finish.

Kurufinwe 12-03-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumgottist (Post 369855)
I too had my doubts before Bone, but now I'm eagerly waiting for Bone 2.

You'll be delighted to hear that it's been out for 8 months, then. :P

Legolas813 12-03-2006 12:08 PM

^^ Well at least that wait for Sam and Max will only happen between episodes 1 and 2. The rest of the episodes will be released only one month apart.

Squinky 12-03-2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurufinwe (Post 369872)

I think he's referring to the Mac version, actually.

Captain Blondebeard 12-03-2006 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamandMax (Post 369866)
I don't really like episodes and would much rather pay for a full game. I'm already a bit disappointed in Sam and Max as the first episode came out at the start of November, and now I have to wait until January to get the next one. That's a long time to wait when the games only take 3 or 4 hours to finish.

And even if we play the whole season we will still be stuck in a small area each episode. The game simply can't be made with the big picture in mind when making monthly episodes.

MoriartyL 12-03-2006 12:56 PM

I like it in theory. But I just don't see any serialized stuff yet that I'd actually want to play.

Trumgottist 12-03-2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurufinwe (Post 369872)

I was expecting someone to say that... :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky (Post 369882)
I think he's referring to the Mac version, actually.

What she said.

Melanie68 12-03-2006 05:58 PM

I like episodic games. I don't want every game to follow that format. I think we need all types (long, short, non-episodic, episodic).

With many longer games, I have a tendency not to finish them. I get a little tired of them and then have a bad habit of not going back to them for a while. At that time, I need to restart because I forget what I've done.

[toj.cc]Phantom 12-03-2006 07:00 PM

I liked being able to download them, but nothing beats owning the disc. I don't buy any episode, I wait for them to all come out as one.

Legolas813 12-03-2006 07:07 PM

The main reason I don't like downloadable episodic games: no resale value. When I buy a game, especially if it is somewhat expensive, I like having the option of "ebaying" it to get some of my money back. This is really important for adventure games as they don't have much replay value, and most of them aren't worth keeping after playing nowadays. Plus, I often like to purchase used games, instead of brand new ones. Again, not an option with downloadable episodic games.