You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Episodic Adventures. Agree or disagree?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
I think I saw the boxed copy in Fry's before. I might be hallucinating though.
There's no retail release.

Quote:
There is definitely a concious effort to tailor a game to a certain audience. That is based on the way you portray the story, the level of interaction etc...
I found this game more fitting to be played by my 10 year old nephew.
It still sounds to me that because it wasn't a hardcore adventure game you conclude that it's for kids. Also please explain what you mean by "the way you portray the story" and how I might determine the correct target age group based on it.

Quote:
The comparison was there to show that just because the subject matter is universally appealing, the game adaptation doesn't have to be. A movie like Finding Nemo is for all audiences, but the game is mainly for kids. I felt the same with the Bone: Out From Boneville game. It was in no way meant to compare the quality of the 2 products. Just the target audience, but you obviously just jumped into conclusions like most people on the defensive tend to do.
I know what you meant, and I still disagree. The comparison is a judgment of quality because the sense that Finding Nemo is a "kids game" is a negative in my mind. It's a "kids game" in that it's a game with no depth and is essentially couple of uninventive minigames featuring characters from the movie and whose selling point is the name alone. In other words it's a game that banks on its target audience being idiots. To me that's different than a good game that happens to be aimed at kids, but those games are so few in number it's hard to come up with an example (not to mention I don't have the most extensive knowledge of kids games). Backyard Baseball just to name something off the top of my head is a game I'd probably put in that category. I simply don't think of Bone as a game that Telltale was depending only or mostly on kids for sales.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #42
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I would like to see this promise from Telltale that you cited and I would also like to know what you mean by difficult - difficult according to whose standards?

Also I have seen posts by seasoned adventure gamers who were delighted with Culture Shock. I think Telltale tried their best to please the loyal Sam & Max fans as well but I think there is a subset of those fans who would likely have never been made happy regardless of what Telltale did.
When they posted the difficulty of the Bone game, they mentioned that those were meant for non-adventure gamers but that Sam and Max is mainly targetted for the old crowd. Not in these exact words but that's the gist of what they said. I mean how many people who bought Sam and Max have played the old one before. Wasn't the petition of all the Sam and Max fans one of the main reasons why Telltale was founded?

And spare me the "I wouldn't have been happy regardless of what Telltale did".
1- You don't know me so you don't know what makes or doesn't make me happy
2- The whole reason why I'm here is because I love adventure games and especially those old ones made by some of the people from Lucasarts.When I played Tim Schafer's Psychonauts for example, I was all over the place telling people how much I loved that game and how everyone should buy it. Do you think I would mention it if I didn't find that there is a problem? But you obviously have established your own point of view based on your own expectations, and whoever thinks differently is obviously "never happy regardless of what they do"

Firefox rules
Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #43
Super Moderator

Quote:
But you obviously have established your own point of view based on your own expectations, and whoever thinks differently is obviously "never happy regardless of what they do"
Yes I do have my point of view as you have yours.

Quote:
I think there is a subset of those fans who would likely have never been made happy regardless of what Telltale did.
I did not mean this as a personal insult to you and I'm sorry if you took it that way.

*leaves*

Last edited by Melanie68; 12-06-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #44
Citizen of Bizarro World

I don't see why so much effort is being put into getting the man (or dude) to believe that Bone is a game he should play. If he isn't a fan of the books, I don't see any overwhelming hook that would motivate him to give it a try.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 12-06-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #45

Default One Word:Agon

My answer to that Is Agon.....Supposed to be 13 Episodes i believe...Bought the first 3 and have been waiting for episode 4 for two years......I'll never make that mistake again..As far as i know the company is out of business...total rip off.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #46
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
I don't see why so much effort is being put into getting the man (or dude) to believe that Bone is a game he should play. If he isn't a fan of the books, I don't see any overwhelming hook that would motivate him to give it a try.
I wasn't trying to convince him to play it.

Adventure games and gamers are so diverse. One person's definition of difficult or easy is different from others. But I suck at arguing.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #47
Citizen of Bizarro World

You're right, of course. (and I don't mean the "I suck at arguing" part ) If Soccerdude thinks the game's too easy for him, that doesn't have to be true for everyone else.

Last edited by Maquisard; 12-06-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
I wasn't trying to convince him to play it.
Neither was I. And I don't see how anyone who read the discussion could reach that conclusion. Also I don't think he said he wasn't a fan of the books.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #49
Citizen of Bizarro World

I read this part and jumped to a conclusion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky View Post
I do recommend the second game even if you didn't like the first one. It's a little bit longer and a little bit heavier on the puzzles (and seven bucks cheaper if you bought Bone 1 early on). However it is not a drastic increase in difficulty or length so if that's something you can't handle, then yes, stay away from it. But it's a very good game.
So sue me!

In my second post, I rectified the error of misunderstanding the gist of the discussion.

As far as not being a fan, I think anyone who read Bone would give the game a chance. The book itself could initially be mistaken as kiddie reading.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #50

That's the great amount of effort you were referring to that I was using to convince him? I recommended the game at the end of my post. Big deal. Anyway, my point is that the focus of the discussion was on something completely different, namely the game's target age group.

Of course, that discussion did not fall under the original purpose of this thread, and we have me to thank for that. Sorry for derailing the thread, everyone. It's just that few things piss me off more than the "This is a kid's game" argument. If I feel the need to rant about it further I can just start my own thread.

So what's up with those crazy episodic games?!?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #51
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky View Post
That's the great amount of effort you were referring to that I was using to convince him?
Yup, that's what we call jumping to conclusions.

Seriously though, if a guy says a game is for kids (thus not himself), people trying to convince him that it isn't for kids could be interpreted as trying to convince him that the game is age-appropriate to him, i.e. he should give it a chance.

Then I looked at the discussion more closely and realized people were just pissed by the generalizing nature of Dude's statement. So, sorry if I made anyone feel bad.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #52
Super Moderator

Quote:
So, sorry if I made anyone feel bad.
*sniff* I'll just curl up in the corner and cry.... *sob*

Old 12-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #53
Citizen of Bizarro World

Yeah...see what you made me do.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:18 AM   #54

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

I have tried Half Life 2 Episode 1, Sin Episodes and Bone so far.

I have to say that I am not pleased.

When I go into a game for real I want the full story, not a tiny little bit and then having to wait a year for the next. If episodes was released 1 month from eachother ok but now I have already forgotten what happened in the episodes I tried.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:13 AM   #55
Slim Shady

Alone in the Dark 5 will also be episodic.