You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Question for Myst series vets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #1

Default Question for Myst series vets?

Hi
I'm not very experienced playing adventure game....my question is I can get the 10th anniversary edition on amazon for 19.95..Inclused Myst,Riven, Exile..

Can these games be completed without resorting to hints?..If not i'll take any reccomendations.
Tom
Old 12-01-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Unless you have lots and lots of time on your hands, I'm going to say no. I found the only way to get through Riven at times was using hints, and I was perfectly fine with that. It was still was a great game. However, I can't think of any first person adventure games that won't have you running for hints. I would say go with that box set anyway. The Myst games are fun just for the experience.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #3

I could be the only person...but I pretty much had to resort to hints for almost every single puzzle in the first Myst when it first came out (which made it pretty un-fun). But then again I had very little time to play it and am just terrible with puzzles in first-person adventures in general.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #4

I actually completed the entire series without resorting to a single hint.

Now that I have, I would DEFINITELY recommend that people use hints without remorse. It took me far too much time to complete games like Riven and Uru.

Timbo
Old 12-01-2006, 11:56 PM   #5
tsa
Playing character

These cames are HARD! You can find walkthroughs for all of them easily. Myst IV even has a hint system built in. But don't use them too quickly. Listen to all the sounds the items in the games make carefully, note their shapes and colours, and try to see the connections between them, and between the different items in the games. I remember in Myst I there was a button somewhere that I couldn't see even after I read a walkthrough, so I had to click at a certain place 'blind' to reveal a passage. And in myst IV (by far the best of the series in my opinion) there was one puzzle I didn't understand even after referring to all the hints about it.

I loved all the Myst games except Myst V (warning: spoilers in the linked thread).
Old 12-02-2006, 01:51 AM   #6
Master of time and space

Used a couple of hints through the series, but I've found games like Disc world, Feeble Files, Monkey Island 2 and Runaway harder than any of the Myst games. I'm better at logical puzzles so the Myst games came pretty natural to me. Since the the Myst games 1-5 are now available in one collection I'd buy that rather than the Anniversary edition...
Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
Lazy Bee

I've had to use hints on everyone of the Myst games. Especially Riven who has some really difficult puzzles IMHO.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
Ronin

Finishing Riven without hints would take unbelievable quantities of time, because the "natural solution" of two of the puzzles requires massive guesswork coupled with exhaustive hunting for clues all over the map. It would almost be less work to teach yourself organic chemistry.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
tsa
Playing character

Actually I found studying organic chemistry a bit harder than playing Riven. In Riven there was only one puzzle I had difficulties with. But sure, it took a lot of time finishing Riven. Excile was even worse. I found that one a lot harder, but also a lot more fun. And I am proud of myself that I solved Excile without referring to hints!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #10

i finished myst with hints, but riven and exile (which i finished only last week) without hints, and i must say, its much more rewarding. and there was no guesswork in riven, neither unbelievable quantities of time. i'm not a good adventure game player, so if i can make it you don't need hints.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
Lost monkey

Riven is stupidly illogically difficult, even with my immense brainpower I gave up on its disgusting difficulty and never finished the game (got to the other world bit and just couldnt be arsed!)
Old 12-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #12
QFG

Sweet jesus...