You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 3D Full Motion Video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
Banned User

Default 3D Full Motion Video

I
One day it will be possible to create photorealistic 3D models of live actors using technology based on that used in The Matrix.

II
Full Motion Video will make a tremendous comeback, this time in three dimensions.

III
3DFMV will combine all the freedom and flexibility of 3D modeling with the detail and realism of 2DFMV.

IV
The short-sightedness of those who deride FMV as a dead end will become apparent.

V
Those involved in the creation of such titles as The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery will be seen as the trailblazing pioneers of the future of gaming that they are.

VI
Adventure games will look and play fresh again, as when the world was new.

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 11-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Didn't look too good in Myst V, though.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Ronin

For some reason, I still can't bring myself to buy the "Graphics will save adventure games" argument. You can sex up the visuals as much as you like, but if you don't address the pervasive gameplay issues, such as crappy puzzles, tedious clue hunting, lame tests of hand-eye coordination and overabundant cutscenes (i.e. no gameplay at all), the adventure genre will continue to fester.

Last edited by Crapstorm; 11-27-2006 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Omitted stuff
Old 11-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Banned User

Though I have not played it, it is my impression Myst V does not use the process I mean. I doubt we have the technology or storage space necessary... yet.

3DFMV will be shooting the actual actors and surroundings in such a way as to make possible the creating of fully three-dimensional models and environments with photorealistic detail, as with the "bullet time" scenes in The Matrix, only interactive and in normal motion as opposed to slow motion. The character models will be fully articulated like old-fashioned 3D models. The game worlds will be in full, real-time 3D. The player will be able to move in these environments as you do in first-person games. Full Motion Video where you can pan and zoom in three dimensions.

Technology needed: a heck of a lot of co-ordinated cameras and quite a bit of processing power and storage space. These are conquerable obstacles, in fact, obstacles that will inevitably be conquered.

This new technology will have implications far beyond just the graphics, but certainly it will not replace good design and writing. These are abundant resources many of the developers simply fail to cultivate due to lack of vision. Graphics never will save adventure games. But it is my belief that when 3DFMV is perfected, it will mean an enormous outpouring of enthusiasm especially for the adventure genre, from audiences and creators alike. Instead of having the reputation, at best, of the poor cousin of television, this form of FMV will be infinitely more attractive and career-boosting to actors, for one, than the old-fashioned form.

Instead of trying to mimic life with ever more polygons, we can simply cinematograph it. Actors will bring life to characters with their very pores, each detail of their being replicated in three dimensions. Writers, animators, world creators, sound designers will have the flexibility 3D allows. When the system is perfected, as it will be, teams no longer need spend hours and hours creating and animating a character model. They can simply shoot it on multicamera.

But this is just one development that will take place one day. There are many others. None of them can take the place of good design.

(Good design is a commodity we have had in plentiful supply since the advent of adventure gaming. Good design has always been just a phone call or an e-mail away. There are Jane Jensens and Al Lowes and Ron Gilberts and Coles out there with the talent, skill, and experience to create fantastic adventure games. Developers have not contacted them because they have wanted to try their own hand at writing or designing: the problem is finally ego.)

Last edited by Simo Sakari Aaltonen; 11-27-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen View Post
Technology needed: a heck of a lot of co-ordinated cameras and quite a bit of processing power and storage space. These are conquerable obstacles, in fact, obstacles that will inevitably be conquered.
When video game developers get their hands on that technology, they'll just make shooters and sports simulators.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #6

this is the kinda 3d i want to see in an adventure game.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...hreadid=432612
Old 11-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
Slim Shady

As far as the graphics go Heavy Rain looks pretty promising.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:37 AM   #8
OB

Quote:
overabundant cutscenes (i.e. no gameplay at all)
Just about every adv ever made has this...dialogue.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
I
One day it will be possible to create photorealistic 3D models of live actors using technology based on that used in The Matrix.

II
Full Motion Video will make a tremendous comeback, this time in three dimensions.

III
3DFMV will combine all the freedom and flexibility of 3D modeling with the detail and realism of 2DFMV.

IV
The short-sightedness of those who deride FMV as a dead end will become apparent.

V
Those involved in the creation of such titles as The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery will be seen as the trailblazing pioneers of the future of gaming that they are.

VI
Hey, that's great work! Have you considered writing a longer sci-fi story, like a novel or something? You're obviously good at it.

I kid, I kid. Seriously, though- graphics don't make the game. Just because something has the potential of being done doesn't mean it will be done. Progress doesn't necessarily have to wait for the future- it could happen today. It could have happened ten years ago. But it didn't happen, and it's not happening. The problems holding adventure games (along with countless other types of games) back aren't related to graphics, and graphics won't solve them.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
Gombeto

Yep, I really think that Heavy Rain will be not only the first adventure game (call it action-adventure if you want), but the first at all game with such a stunning graphics. More info over the net ;]
Old 11-29-2006, 12:52 AM   #11

Yeah and when the developers win the Lottery they will have enough money to buy the equipment and them hire one or two actors only with the leftovers
FMV died cause of the budget.
My favourite adventures are both FMV and animated so id say +1 for the "graphics doesnt really matter as long as they dont choke the gameplay" opinion
Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #12
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

What ever happened to Holodecks? Screw FMV.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 11-29-2006, 08:32 PM   #13
Banned User

Certainly 3DFMV will be combined with Virtual Reality about as soon as the technology becomes available.

Thinking further, once the initial 3D character model is created based on the actor, the actual animations can be done as motion capture. This will make for an ideally efficient, non-wasteful process.

Further into the future, as storage space and processing power increase, each action can be modeled individually, depending on the level of verisimilitude desired.

3DFMV + motion capture + Virtual Reality = something to look forward to

Simo Sakari Aaltonen
([email protected])

Old 11-30-2006, 02:37 AM   #14
Senior *female* member

Quote:
I

II

III

IV

V

VI

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!