You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The new Sherlock Holmes german demo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #1

Default The new Sherlock Holmes german demo

Has anyone tried it yet? It looks good and seems fun to play. At least from what I saw of it because I did not understand much. But I would not be surpriced that it will kill some computers because it feels quite requirement heavy playing it. It´s first person and the run speed is good when you have to go longer distances. I hope an english demo will be out soon.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Dungeon Master

I've completed the demo today. First impression upon starting was: "Awesome! Victorian London in full 3D!". But then came sad realization that there is nothing to do in Victorian London. I won't compain about the deserted streets, etc. - I know, budget constraints; I hadn't really expected otherwise. But the fact that for the first time in history gamers can freely roam in the studio of arguably the most famous literary character ever, and the only allowed interaction is taking a box of matches, is inexcusable. Sure, you can see his pipes, the violin, and (hats off here; Frogwares did their homework) bullet holes in the wall. But you can't even make Holmes comment on any of them? You can't even make him sit at his microscope before the game wants you, later on? Unfortunately, this trend continues after you leave 221b, too.

I loved Silver Earring's story and atmosphere, and I believe this game will deliver in these areas again. The controls are good, too (standard WASD + mouse, but you can also easily move around using your mouse only). But the gameplay, which was the area that needed most improving the most, seem to have actually taken a step backwards. I mean, even if there isn't more leading-by-the-hand than in SE*, it surely will seem so because of the apparent freedom first-person-real-time-3D mode offers (in comparison to third-person-with-fixed-cameras from the previous game).

One last thing: I'd be much more forgiving of this ultra-linearity, if in the (very short) demo I didn't encounter at least two lapses of logic, one of them ridiculous (Holmes saying that there is no need to follow the possible kidnapper's footprints!).

Unless the mystery itself is told to be great, I think I'm going to skip The Awaken.

*Although I was lead by the hand throughout the whole demo, I'm giving Frogwares the benefit of the doubt that there will be puzzles which actually require some thought later on. At least the investigation/quiz seems to have returned in some form; the clues/dialogues/documents diary suggests so.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:35 PM   #3

How do you move only with the mouse?
Old 11-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
Dungeon Master

Clicking and holding the left mouse button has the same effect as holding 'W' or 'up' - your character keeps walking.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #5

I will have to try that. Is there a walkthrough for this demo in english or any news on an english version of the demo.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
Dungeon Master

I only know of German pdf walkthrough, sorry. (But it has a lot of pictures, so it may what help you progress as long as you understand the basic objectives. There is no way to get stuck in the demo other than missing some hotspots.)

It's not known when to expect an English demo.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the link. I can understand some german so hopefully I can get through it.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Sure, you can see his pipes, the violin, and (hats off here; Frogwares did their homework) bullet holes in the wall. But you can't even make Holmes comment on any of them? You can't even make him sit at his microscope before the game wants you, later on? Unfortunately, this trend continues after you leave 221b, too.
This seems to be a very popular trend in adventure games in recent years. It's like the developers have forgotten the small details that make exploring the game world so fun. I think this sticks out moreso in a Sherlock game don't you? ... a game where you are supposed to be exploring every nook and cranny!
Old 11-18-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq View Post
I think this sticks out moreso in a Sherlock game don't you? ... a game where you are supposed to be exploring every nook and cranny!
Exactly. I don't want to give a wrong impression, though: there is a bit of checking every nook and cranny there, but it felt more like pixel hunting than exploring to me - you have to see all the clues at the crime scene to have Sherlock do the thinking part and trigger progression of the story.

Oh, and I forgot: there is one puzzle at the very end, where you have to type in the answer to proceed. I absolutely didn't know what to answer, but since a) it had caught me completely off guard and b) my German is not that fabulous, I guess objectively the answer could have been very easy if I had actually paid attention to the question. I won't replay the demo to find out, though. (as in a couple of other recent demos, there is no save feature )