You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Decline of Creativity

View Poll Results: Choose the worst adventure game topics/elements.
Monsters 12 21.43%
Ancient Civilizations 17 30.36%
Knights Templar 25 44.64%
Literary Adaptations 6 10.71%
Movie/TV Adaptations 20 35.71%
Curses 6 10.71%
Saving the World 25 44.64%
Serial Killers 5 8.93%
Amnesia 13 23.21%
Other 4 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2004, 07:46 PM   #61
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I think Gerbil should win the prize for best post in this thread.
I agree. I actually think his proposition would make a good comedic amateur adventure parody.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #62
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
That would definitely make an awesome game IMO. It would be especially cool if you create your own MO... Hmm... Do I carve a pentagram on their chest or eat their liver??? And what should I take as a souvenir????
Do whatever you want, but each minute manifestation of your decisions will be a clue and evidence to lead your opponents closer to you.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-26-2004, 08:39 PM   #63
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Do whatever you want, but each minute manifestation of your decisions will be a clue and evidence to lead your opponents closer to you.
True, but a good serial killer has to have panache. It is worth the risk because the "work" itself, is also a form of artistic expression...
Old 01-26-2004, 08:42 PM   #64
merely human

....contingent on how progressed the technology is to accommodate such panache and 'work'.

I still snicker at the thought of adventure game developers implementing A.I. into a game and coming out with something on the level of Black & White. Imagine, an adventure game with A.I. based puzzles...
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-26-2004, 09:07 PM   #65
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Imagine, an adventure game with A.I. based puzzles...
Imagine, the bitter arguments about whether it's an adventure game or not...

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-26-2004, 09:16 PM   #66
merely human

Imagine that.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #67
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Play a god.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:56 AM   #68
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Movie/TV: The X Files Game, Beavis & Butthead, Duckman, various Star Trek games, Daria, Ace Ventura, An American Tail, Plan 9 from Outer Space, It Came from the Desert, Law & Order, and CSI, to name a few.
I don't think that there ever was movie "It came from the desert", nor was there a tv series I could be wrong ofcourse, but it's highly unlikely
Old 01-27-2004, 11:02 AM   #69
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX
I don't think that there ever was movie "It came from the desert", nor was there a tv series I could be wrong ofcourse, but it's highly unlikely
Yeah, I think it was a B movie-like game. But not based on any movie or tv-series.

Cinemaware wanted to always make games that were like you were watching a interactive movie.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:07 AM   #70
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Yeah, I think it was a B movie-like game. But not based on any movie or tv-series.

Cinemaware wanted to always make games that were like you were watching a interactive movie.
This is correct. It wasn't a direct rip of a movie, but a rip on the B-movie genre itself and incorporated many of those elements into it. It is still a matter of getting your ideas from movies rather than creating your own though, hence its inclusion in the list.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:24 AM   #71
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
This is correct. It wasn't a direct rip of a movie, but a rip on the B-movie genre itself and incorporated many of those elements into it. It is still a matter of getting your ideas from movies rather than creating your own though, hence its inclusion in the list.
Well everything you think of today can be a rip of something, so basicaly there are no new ideas left for someone to think of. And even if someone would get one, it doesn't mean it would translate well into an adventure game.

I mean, how well would idea involving, lets say tennis player searching for sponsors, using nothing but his charisma and lucky pair of underwear work as adventure game? There is something new & fresh, now it's up to you, to make it an interesting adventure game

So bring me a new serial killer case anytime, says i
Old 01-27-2004, 11:29 AM   #72
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
I mean, how well would idea involving, lets say tennis player searching for sponsors, using nothing but his charisma and lucky pair of underwear work as adventure game? There is something new & fresh, now it's up to you, to make it an interesting adventure game
Surely you're talking about the upcoming LucasArts title, Free Agent.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 01-27-2004, 11:35 AM   #73
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Surely you're talking about the upcoming LucasArts title, Free Agent.
Darn! It was that obvious, wasn't it? Well that brings me back to my first statement, with LEC pursuing this last unused idea in the whole World, there aren't any new & fresh ideas left to think of
Old 01-27-2004, 11:36 AM   #74
Iconoclast

Quote:
Well everything you think of today can be a rip of something, so basicaly there are no new ideas left for someone to think of. And even if someone would get one, it doesn't mean it would translate well into an adventure game.
That isn't true at all. Just take the monster category for instance. Compare the cliche vampire to the rather original creature from the movie Alien. Even though the premise, a horror movie, is the same, the latter creature was far more original and creative than the former which has been beaten to death for a century.

Even if you use popular themes in your game, it still takes more creativity to create them in your own world, and in your own style, rather than borrow it from somewhere else.

I do agree that It Came from the Desert isn't a good example though, as it is a parody game which necessitates copying. I will eat crow on that one. I am having it char-broiled with barbecue sauce. Not as bad as they say really...
Old 01-27-2004, 02:43 PM   #75
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Saving the world?!

Good thing Roger Foodbelly will be "save the forest" instead then

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games