You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sam and Max Hit the Road - Do I not get it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #21
Dr Uberman

Well if you try to argue Sam and Max is greater than DOTT I am gonna have to fight you.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:12 AM   #22
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

DOTT probably is an overall better game qualitywise, but Sam and Max for me personally is just funner to play. To each his own.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 11-08-2006, 03:20 AM   #23
More slaw!!!

I've gotta say that Sam & Max is a mega funny game, but as an actual game I don't think I enjoy it as much as any other LucasArts adventure at all.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #24

Thanks for the help, everyone!

So it seems I'm not completely alone in my lack of immediate affection for the game. Let me ask the obvious new question then, which two people have already answered:

Should I bother with the new games from Telltale if the original didn't grab my interest? For the record, I rather enjoy the characters of Sam and Max themselves, and the dialogue between them; I just didn't like very much else Does the new game have more interesting secondary characters or a more substantive plot?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomy42 View Post
Should I bother with the new games from Telltale if the original didn't grab my interest? For the record, I rather enjoy the characters of Sam and Max themselves, and the dialogue between them; I just didn't like very much else Does the new game have more interesting secondary characters or a more substantive plot?Thanks!
Oh god YES!

If you liked the Sam & Max characters and dialogue in Hit the Road, Telltale's episode will not disappoint. The dialogue is better, snappier, funnier in the new game. The gameplay itself is an improvement over Hit the Road too.

The plot is good, but it's tight, as it has to be in a small game (3-4 hours to complete for most people). But tight is good, as far as I'm concerned.

There's no reason not to try it.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #26
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomy42 View Post
Does the new game have more interesting secondary characters or a more substantive plot?
Debatable. I'm not sure which I enjoyed more in that regard (for the record, I loved both Hit the Road and Culture Shock). To be honest, I thought the secondary characters were a little hit and miss, and the episode was too short to do anything terribly meaningful plotwise. In case you haven't read it already, the AG review gives a pretty good rundown of the issues.

Of course, it's only US$8.95 for the first episode, so it's not a whole lot to lose. And if you think that's too much of a gamble, there's always the demo.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:45 AM   #27

I just want to chime in that I didn't like Hit the Road all that much either, but I played the demo of the new Sam & Max series a couple of days ago and found it completely hilarious! So I will be getting the full game as soon as I have some spare time in the future.

I advise you to just try the demo. It's only 80 Mb, so you have absolutely nothing to lose.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:45 AM   #28
marsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow View Post
Debatable. I'm not sure which I enjoyed more in that regard (for the record, I loved both Hit the Road and Culture Shock). To be honest, I thought the secondary characters were a little hit and miss, and the episode was too short to do anything terribly meaningful plotwise. In case you haven't read it already, the AG review gives a pretty good rundown of the issues.

This was only the pilot episode. From the series world, we know that the secondary characters never are fully established in the first episode. It's the re-occuring of them in later episodes that gives them a firm personality. In the pilot they just kind of introduce them, while the main focus is on establishing the main characters and doing ones best to find something in the pilot that will leave the player of the pilot wanting more.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:49 AM   #29

I remember about a year back making a thread showing my detest for the game and getting S & M fanboys jumping down my neck for it. It's taken a whole year to actually find someone on this forum who sees the game with my POV.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:08 AM   #30

It's an insane game, I admit.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
I remember about a year back making a thread showing my detest for the game and getting S & M fanboys jumping down my neck for it. It's taken a whole year to actually find someone on this forum who sees the game with my POV.
To be fair, there aren't many (if any) saying they detest Hit the Road. Just that it's not quite as good as, say DOTT due to the fairly weak plot and some illogical puzzles.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #32
Dungeon Master

To be even fairer, neither the claim about nobody agreeing with Terramax back then nor the one about S&M fanboys ganging up on him, is true. Here's the thread.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #33

You're all traitors.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #34
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

And doesn't treachery feel good...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #35
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I like the new voices better than the old ones.

*runs*
Old 11-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #36

I love when people make posts in 2006 about how hit the road wasnt that good If english wasn't your first language, you may miss a whole lot of jokes.. Sam & Max: Hit The Road is the funniest game I have ever played. The plot is a means to continue the jokes and I have no problem with it. Sean Clarke, Mike Stemmle and Steve Purcell did an incredible job. Hilarious game and a true classic. If you wern't there when this game came out in 1993 you already missed the boat..it was a huge hit..for a reason.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HieroHero View Post
I love when people make posts in 2006 about how hit the road wasnt that good If english wasn't your first language, you may miss a whole lot of jokes.. Sam & Max: Hit The Road is the funniest game I have ever played. The plot is a means to continue the jokes and I have no problem with it. Sean Clarke, Mike Stemmle and Steve Purcell did an incredible job. Hilarious game and a true classic. If you wern't there when this game came out in 1993 you already missed the boat..it was a huge hit..for a reason.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there - "If you weren't there when this game came out in 1993...".

I think this game hasn't aged as well as some of the other LucasArts SCUMM classics, menaing it leaves some new players somewhat bewildered as to what all the fuss is/was about.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #38

Yeah I can understand that
Old 11-11-2006, 02:31 AM   #39

I think the problem with "Sam & Max Hit The Road" is the pacing. The game throws pretty much every example of its style of humor at the player more than once long before the game actually ends, which makes the final "act" a bit of a chore. In other words, the humor acts as a payoff for the actions the player performs that keeps the game moving, but a law of diminishing returns comes into play. I believe that if you were to play the end first, that section would seem much funnier and engaging than it otherwise is. One solution I use is to take a break for a few days when the game starts to feel stale and then come back to it with a (relatively) clean slate.

Other than the pacing problem, I think it's a pretty good game. I've downloaded the demo for the first episode of the new season, but haven't played it yet.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #40
Slim Shady

They sacrificed too much stuff for the sake of humour , it lacks the balance of other funny LucasArts classics like Monkey Island series,Grim Fandango, DOTT etc.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 11-11-2006 at 05:55 PM.