Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Where's Sam & Max? (and impressions) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/17651-wheres-sam-max-impressions.html)

Tramboi 12-21-2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HieroHero (Post 375405)
The experience you have playing games would mean you would know something about them..and you shouldn't just disregard their comments as the link that was posted was proposing.. You dont look at what one person is saying..you look at what everyone is saying..if there is a general trend..take notice! I also dont think people who have played games for 15 years think they can speak for everyone else..where did you get that?

Yet they are probably the kind of people *making* the games by now, so listen to your elders :devil:

numble 12-21-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramboi (Post 375442)
Yet they are probably the kind of people *making* the games by now, so listen to your elders :devil:

Didn't want to jump in here, but some part of me just forces me to pounce on logical fallacies whenever I see them.

Just because all game developers are also people that have played games for 15 years doesn't mean that all people that have played games for 15 years knows how to develop a game.

Just think about it this way, all subway engineers have rode subways for 15 years, but it doesn't mean that all people that have rode subways for 15 years knows how to design a proper subway system.

Squinky 12-21-2006 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numble (Post 375469)
Just because all game developers are also people that have played games for 15 years doesn't mean that all people that have played games for 15 years knows how to develop a game.

Also, from personal experience, not all game developers are hardcore gamers, either.

numble 12-21-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky (Post 375472)
Also, from personal experience, not all game developers are hardcore gamers, either.

Minor digression, but... since you do have personal experience, if you had to choose, what type of "hardcore" would you classify them as? Hardcore readers? movie watchers? libertarians? music lovers? drinkers? FPS gamers? Etc. (Examples used to demonstrate my meaning of hardcore--not intending for you to pick one of the listed...)

Melanie68 12-21-2006 07:17 PM

I'm not Squinky but if I had to guess, I would say readers. But I think that's a hard thing to judge.

What draws someone to make a game vs. writing a story (novel, short story, poem)? But then some of them do both.

Squinky 12-21-2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numble (Post 375477)
Minor digression, but... since you do have personal experience, if you had to choose, what type of "hardcore" would you classify them as?

As with practically every other population, it varies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68 (Post 375483)
What draws someone to make a game vs. writing a story (novel, short story, poem)?

In my case, it has something to do with wanting to explore interactivity in stories as well as experiment with a medium that marries art and technology, two things I'm greatly interested in. But then, my opinions aren't representative of those of everyone who wants to make games.

jp-30 12-21-2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HieroHero (Post 375405)
You dont look at what one person is saying..you look at what everyone is saying..if there is a general trend..take notice!

Don't take those complaining the loudest (or longest) are somehow holding a majority view. In almost all cases the very vocal complainers are very much outnumbered by the "happy with the status-quo" people who don't feel the need to vocalise as such.

numble 12-21-2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp-30 (Post 375492)
Don't take those complaining the loudest (or longest) are somehow holding a majority view. In almost all cases the very vocal complainers are very much outnumbered by the "happy with the status-quo" people who don't feel the need to vocalise as such.

Yeah, this reminds me of the huge, huge fuss put up on Telltale's forum on Culture Shock's release day, when according to the forum, tons of people were mad that it was not instantly released on Nov. 1 in their timezone. From the "general trend" of the forum, it would appear that most people were dissatisfied that Telltale did not have Culture Shock timed for release in respective timezones as those timezones reached Nov. 1.

But... I'm willing to bet that the majority of people were satisfied (or didn't even care) that the actual release time was around 10:30 AM Pacific Standard Time on Nov. 1.

HieroHero 12-22-2006 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp-30 (Post 375492)

I agree I certainly wouldnt be making game design decisions based on 20 people complaining on a forum.. i'm talking about looking at reviews in gaming magazines..online publications.. feedback from testing..at exhibitions other gamers.. the whole gamut.. I mean the Internet is basically just used for people to complain.. the people who are quite happy dont bother to spend time on the net to talk about it as you say.. I'm sure Telltale has a whole variety of ways to gain feedback on their games anyway.. I think one of the problems with the 6 episodes monthly is they were already finishing episode 4 by the time the pilot was out..so they couldnt make any changes to eps 2-4.. unlike bone 2 when they had 6 months to make improvements..

Erwin_Br 12-22-2006 06:04 PM

Everybody knows game designers are heavy drinkers. :P

--Erwin

Tramboi 12-24-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numble (Post 375469)
Didn't want to jump in here, but some part of me just forces me to pounce on logical fallacies whenever I see them.

All right, I *am* a sophist. In a perverse way :D

On a related note, most game developers are players I'd say.
But some programmers for instance like more coding than playing.
Some others only play sims.
A lot of sound designers are very casual gamers.
Of course I wouldn't want to work with a game designer who isn't an gaming addict :)

Kolzig 12-30-2006 12:57 AM

Next week I shall be buying Season 1. :)

Then I get to play the two first episodes immediately. So Telltale can be sure to have one customer more very soon.