Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Where's Sam & Max? (and impressions) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/17651-wheres-sam-max-impressions.html)

RLacey 11-01-2006 05:37 PM

I'm a couple of hours in. I'm liking what I've seen so far.

fov 11-01-2006 06:46 PM

Hey - thanks everyone for being patient during the activation weirdness today. Having people write back after getting their activation keys and say "thanks" meant a lot. :D

I hope everyone is enjoying Culture Shock, finally. :)

xChri5x 11-01-2006 09:37 PM

I preordered the whole season this morning. I haven't downloaded Culture Shock yet, probably tomorrow or maybe even this weekend when I get the chance. Even with all the videos and screenshot and everything the game has seemed so distant. But now it's becoming more real and I can't wait to actually play this thing
:pan:

SamandMax 11-01-2006 10:01 PM

It's short and a bit easy but the amazing writing and just general atmosphere of the game are so good, you'll overlook any flaws. I don't remember the last time I had so much fun playing an adventure game. I cannot wait for the next 5.

Fop 11-01-2006 11:40 PM

Does anyone else have problems with the sounds being odd, sounding overly compressed? For example, the S sounds in speech sound really bad. I had this problem with Bone too, but that was another computer and another soundcard. I think it's the sound compression they're using.

The Seed 11-02-2006 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP (Post 360369)
Would that be before or after those other games CRAWL AWAY AND DIE?

That was obviously an exaggeration. Well, slightly. :shifty:

Igor 11-02-2006 12:38 AM

Woooha, just finished the demo. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! If the demo is anything to judge by, then i'm sold. I was playing it for about 15 minutes. True, the one and only puzzle in demo was quite easy, but all the stuff you were able to look at and interact with added lots of extra fun. Lovely graphics and animations too!
Bone was great, but this is pure gold.
Yup, i guess Telltale really is the best thing that happened to AGs in years.

bigjko 11-02-2006 12:46 AM

There were two puzzles, actually. One item puzzle and one dialogue puzzle.

While being pretty easy, both still felt a whole lot better than puzzles usually do in adventure games.

xChri5x 11-02-2006 02:26 AM

NACHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oooo.

Junkface 11-02-2006 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fop (Post 360445)
Does anyone else have problems with the sounds being odd, sounding overly compressed? For example, the S sounds in speech sound really bad. I had this problem with Bone too, but that was another computer and another soundcard. I think it's the sound compression they're using.

Yeah, that's the main thing bothering me about the game. (And their office is too fucking well lit!) Not being able to look at characters and interactive objects is my other main irritant.

Anyway, I'm getting a lot more mileage out of the game than I expected; I've already been going for 2.5-3 hours. So far I think I prefer The Great Cow Race overall but this an extremely respectable start to the series. The therapy (which I just got up to) is fucking inspired.

custard 11-02-2006 05:34 AM

Still waiting to play past the demo, waiting for paypal to be enabled for the Season 1 preorder ¬¬

Demo itself was fun though, made me want to play more atleast :P

Panthera 11-02-2006 07:02 AM

today in about 2 hours (6 o clock my time) Dave Grossman and Dan Connors attends a net meeting with the Norwegian newspaper dagbladet. I know we have like three telltale employees on this forum, so there might not be so much you want to ask these two, but if you have some questions about Sam and Max, you can write it in the white box on the bottom of the article

Just in case someone had a question they were burning to ask about sam and max

it says in marked text thank you for your question!
then it asks for heading, underneath that is the big box to write your question in, then it wants a name, and the last little box asks for e-mail adress

maladroid 11-02-2006 08:26 AM

I think the main quality of Culture Shock, missing from most recent adventures I laid my hands on, is the replay value of the game.
I spent a good 4-4.5 hours through it the first time, being sure to try everything that would probably generate a new response from the game before taking the appropriate action in order to move forward (also, I got stuck in the pcyshoanalysis sequence for some time, tangled up in a word wrestle with Sybil :frusty: ). Since then, I find myself loading up the game every now and then in order to watch some cool sequence, repeat a witty dialogue or explore the possibilities of lost comments.
The last time I remember loading an adventure game for the sheer pleasure of repeated responses, was while going through Grim Fandango for the 3rd or 4th time, a couple of months ago. Same with Still Life but only to watch the beautiful videos through the menu.
This feature, along with the reasonable price of the Season package or even the individual episodes, goes a long way to counter the bitter taste of short length in Culture Shock for me.

Can't wait to experience more tales from the crew behind Sam and Max.

Tanukitsune 11-02-2006 09:55 AM

I just beat it, it was the funniest game I've played in ages. :D

Although lenghtwise it was good, it went through it like a breeze and only took my time to see everything...

The psychological thing got me a bit stuck until I found out what "peer" meant...

I the game was very easy or I think just like Sam & Max... :P

Fop 11-02-2006 12:02 PM

Haven't beaten it yet, but seems very good.

Martin Gantefoehr 11-02-2006 01:19 PM

Hey, cool game!

However, the game is WAY too difficult for me! Right now, I'm about as stuck as I was in Christmas Quest (read: seriously stuck!). Damn. :)

Lucien21 11-02-2006 02:15 PM

All I can say is

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

LOL.

HieroHero 11-02-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr (Post 360688)
Hey, cool game!

However, the game is WAY too difficult for me! Right now, I'm about as stuck as I was in Christmas Quest (read: seriously stuck!). Damn. :)

Talk to Max, he will often spell out what you need to do..

bigjko 11-02-2006 03:38 PM

Wow! Just finished the game now, and my god! It's awesome!

Way longer than I thought, too. Easily over 4 hours long for me.

Spoiler:
The "snapping-out-of" hypnosis thing was brilliant

fov 11-02-2006 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fop (Post 360445)

Yeah, it's the sound compression. Bothers some people more than others. I don't even notice it but I know it annoys some people a lot.