You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New game - Alternativa

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #41
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

I can't help myself and pick AlternativA up earlier, thinking that it would capture the ambience of the nifty Stark-like world from TLJ. For that I was definitely not disappointed, for many aspects of the game, from the first impressions at least, lived up to be rather Stark-like.

The game started with you, Richard, an ex-employee of Endora who was informed of his unemployment by some androids, and was ripped of his employee pass. Then he was reminded that his train pass ran out of fund and he'd had to get home by walking. Not something our protagonist desired obviously, and thus our adventure begin with Richard dumped right into the first puzzle...

It's not the most gripping starting to an adventure game I must say, but it is sufficient enough to keep it from becoming boring. And the environment is just lovely; lovely in the dark morbid sense.

The models of the characters are awkward, and reminded me of really the similar type of models in TLJ. And the speech/dialogue are not really normalised, with some lines getting especially loud, or some lines timed wrongly. The dialogue could also get incoherent sometime. But still, these are really stuff to be expected and it had yet to kill my enjoyment after two hours. Will definitely go back for more.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #42
Adventure games fanatic

I don't have much time lately so I stopped after playing for half hour, but didn't anybody else finish this game already? Some thoughts to share maybe?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #43
Jumping peanut on a stick

Same here. I'm chasing some dead-line this week so I didn't really have time to play it yet. But so far (10 minutes into the game ) it looks very promising. Looking forward to play more.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #44
Queen of the underground

Send a message via MSN to Idta

Just purchased this game a few days ago..Only played about 20 minutes of it because I also downloaded HL2 and that has been keeping me completely occupied (along with school and the likes of real life lol)
If anyone wants to add me on Steam, my name on there is Idta
Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #45
Tea & Cookie Monster

So, has anyone played this game yet? I haven´t bought it yet... Would love to hear what you guys think about it!
Maybe you´re all busy playing...
Old 12-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #46
Replicant

I would also love to see any non-spoiler impression after finishing (or playing for a long time) the game.

Kinda waiting for a Steam sale on it as it is quite pricy as a new release and money is tight at the moment, but love the look of it.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #47

I started playing it today, so far I like it but it does have some odd flaws, nothing major though. I'll post some more detailed thoughts when I've had chance to play a bit more
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 12-28-2010, 02:19 AM   #48

Got the game at a xmas sale. I played around for a few minutes, guess I should get used to the visual style, which I find awkward somehow...
Old 12-29-2010, 02:28 AM   #49

IMO Artwork is amazing. It really conveys that dark atmosphere of a horrible near future.

Unfortunately the story is less engaging, english translation is pretty bad. Puzzles aren't that hard and require hopping to same locations all the time (triggers are really pain).

I'm currently at the Airport trying to get on a flight to Brazil

It's okish game. 6/10

P.S. I found an easter egg

Oh dear! There are many more easter eggs next to that one:

- Longest Journey air travels
- A poster that looks a lot like Catch me if you Can movie poster
- Saint Norris Church
etc.

Just for that, I rate the game 7/10 xD
Old 12-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #50

Maybe someone here can help me - I bought the game, downloaded it and was all set to play, but... my mouse is literally uncontrollable in the game itself. It works fine on the Menu - but is just a mess (i.e. floaty and impossible to control) in the game. I tried adjusting the settings for the mouse speed to no avail. Anyone else with this problem or know what I could do to fix it?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #51

I got this at the Steam sale as well. I actually stopped playing as the English version suffers from really really bad engrish, and some bad adventure game mechanics (for example, you cannot walk into the Theolex company building even with a company pass until you do a side quest first). That really irritated me. It is an interesting story and setting though.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #52

So, I finished this game recently, it was good....I mean, considering it's a litte very cheap, it was really good. Nice plot, not bad main protagonist, so so secondary characters, good graphics in some scenes of the game!...puzzles way too easy..

Ending.....well, if there's a sequel (which I hope so and I think there will be, but...I don't know, will it depend on sales ? ) it wasn't a bad ending.

IMO the whole game was a good introduction for it's sequel, let's just hope there is one
Old 01-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #53

Just finished it (clocked 11 hours with some cheating via a guide >.>) and liked it. It didn't blow me away or anything, but I thought it was fairly good once you get past the flaws.

There were a few times the voice acting got on my nerves, early one it was bugging me, but eventually got used to it and didn't notice it. Some characters were better then others, there was one point that the voice acting was horrifically bad though :/ (thankfully just a small bit).

The puzzles weren't bad, though I got stuck on a few (terrible at puzzles), most seemed solvable with tearing your hair out though. Downside was they often required backtracking, traveling, etc. Which was starting to get a bit annoying in a longish playthrough.

I also found it weird how at times the developers would make you have to trigger something to be able to get "x" item from "y" place, yet other times allow Richard to pick up items that you leave you wondering "why the hell would he think he needs this?" only to show up in a puzzle. Granted all triggers would of just lead to more backtracking then there already was.

Really hoping for a sequel, so much was left untied, and want to know what ends up happening. The ending did make some sense, and it was pretty decent. It just, for me, was at a point I didn't want it to end. It may just be due to the loose ends, but it just felt abrupt.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #54
Replicant

This wasn't an awful game but a little frustrating... nice setting, decent storyline but terrible translation/weird voice acting and a truly bizarre ending that left my jaw agape for the wrong reasons as I expected some big finale but got an abrupt ending instead. I LOVE Cyberpunk so liked some of the elements of this game and the puzzles were OK, if quite simple, but feel like this game is a case of wasted potential. If there is a sequel which it certainly sets up then I'd hope for a better translation first and foremost. Took me only 5 hours to complete making it the shortest AG I've played since Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual (which took me 4 hours but was a better game).