You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Was there a playable demo of Brian Moriarty's The Dig?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #21
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbird rich View Post
Well that definitely rings a bell with me (in the UK). It sounds a lot like a demo I have a vague recollection of seeing which came with the UK magazine PC Format back in the early 90s. I'm sure I still have that somewhere, so (excuse the pun) I'll see if I can dig it out of my loft!
Let me know what you turn up. I'd be thrilled if you found it.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #22
Adventure Game Researcher

From the far reaches of the net, here is a very interesting compilation of info on the making of Dig, Moriarty was actually the second project leader of four who worked on Dig for its final release in 1995

It was originally a film idea from Steven Spielberg but canned as too expensive to make,
Dev Directoers were:

Noah Falstein (co wrote Indiana Jones and Fate of Atlantis
w/ Dave Grossman (MI I and II, Tentacles)
Brian Moriarty (Loom etc.)
Hal Barwood (also worked on Indiana Jones and FOA)
Sean Clark (Sam and Max)

great backgrounder at Time Machine which most of you probably know about: http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/digstuff/digtext1.htmlm

I am prowling in search of the demo, I saw something about it a while ago, I am researching DIG currently.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 AM   #23
Super Moderator

This thread would make a good game.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #24
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

I went through my "LucasArts : The Dig" folder in my collection and dug up the following... the two demo disc instructions/tearsheets. One from Computer Game Review and the other from PC Gamer. I also found an early screenshot from the version ATM was talking about. (see last shot).. this was a shot from the Consumer Electronics Show demo - a very early version. The discs are in another box which I'll have to dig out of storage. I know I have a few discs with "The Dig" demo on them. I'm not sure if any of them are the early demo you're looking for but it's worth a try.

On that note, I DO remember playing the exact demo we're all talking about. I remember the interface was quite different than the final game interface. It's all very vague. It's been so many years. But I remember at the time making note of the early version vs. the final game - most notably the character/interface art. The final game was released quite late as I remember - it didn't come out on schedule. I got my hands on anything and everything LucasArts/Sierra when I was a kid. And I kept it all. The location of this demo, however, eludes me!

Just shot these. Sorry for the quality:

Last edited by eriq; 10-26-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:52 PM   #25

Christian IV, you do realize that ATMachine is responsible for that site on the history of The Dig?
Old 10-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #26
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Here is something fun. I started painting a rather large painting inspired by "The Dig" back in 1999. I ended up painting over it. I never finished it. I was always mesmerized by Bill Eaken's landscape artwork. That was one of the things in early/late versions of "The Dig" that remained constant - the landscape artwork. Unlike the interface and character art, the backgrounds always consisted of very unreal looking cliffs and such.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #27
Retired Buccaneer

Cool magazines, eriq! Do try and go through those boxes of CDs.

And great art, by the way. Looks very Diggish. (On that note, the art for the original Dig by Noah Falstein was entirely different from the strange colorful rock spires motif. It was set in several different landscapes, such as a jungle, a snowy mountain area, and a desert. But the later versions, that is Moriarty's and Clark's, were very similar style-wise.)
Old 10-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
Let me know what you turn up. I'd be thrilled if you found it.
Well, I found the CD but I don't think it's the demo you were looking for. I never bought or played the released game, so I can't tell you if the demo is any different or not. However, from the description you gave before, it would seem that the PC Format demo (October 1995) of The Dig is the one you already know about.

If I ctrl+v then it says Demo 5-10-95.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #29
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbird rich View Post
Well, I found the CD but I don't think it's the demo you were looking for. I never bought or played the released game, so I can't tell you if the demo is any different or not. However, from the description you gave before, it would seem that the PC Format demo (October 1995) of The Dig is the one you already know about.

If I ctrl+v then it says Demo 5-10-95.
Yes, I definitely think that's the final demo. The one I'm looking for would've been from 1993 or early 1994. Thanks for looking, though.