You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure "the feeble files"——worth playing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 07:37 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to candywren
Default "the feeble files"——worth playing?

Anyone who has chance of playing it can say it worth playing?
I heard that`s a good old classic!

by the way, can this game run under window XP?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:45 AM   #2

I completely agree with the review. It's extremely fun, extremely long and extremely hard (and the interface is extremely annoying).

And the only way to run it under XP is through ScummVM.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 10-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #3

thank you,that review really attracts me !

ps:about what you`re playing,in my poing of view, syberia 2 will never level with syberia 1, but still both worth us playing
Old 10-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
Master of time and space

I still haven't gotten around to playing this game. Why is it considered hard? Are to puzzles too "Riven"-like, is it pixelhunting like in Runaway or are they like the puzzles in Discworld?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
I still haven't gotten around to playing this game. Why is it considered hard? Are to puzzles too "Riven"-like, is it pixelhunting like in Runaway or are they like the puzzles in Discworld?
They're hard, but definitely fair (apart from a couple of them). What makes them hard is that the area open to exploration is always very large, with lots of things to do, and nothing to tell you in what order they should be done. And while the clues are always there, they're never obviously labelled as such, with lots of non-essential hotspots. Also, the awful inventory system makes it absolutely impossible to just try everything on everything. Add a couple of very tough logic puzzles on top of that (there's one in particular involving dates that is terribly clever), and a bit of lateral thinking from time to time, and you've got one of the hardest adventures ever.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 10-22-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
capsized.

It's been a while, but mostly it's because you're often wondering what the heck at all to do. And it has some really frustrating, outright stupid stuff, too. Like the whole sequence in the arcade. Terrible.

And then, even a bog standard, bland, paste&copied-from-Granny's-logic -puzzle-book-puzzle like figuring out how to mix a potion can take longer than you'd imagine.
Spoiler:
The hints given to you seemed to be broken to me in that case. Could have been just me, but my solution made perfect sense to me, yet it never worked out. Even after consulting a walkthrough, I still haven't figured out why it worked how it did.

I don't remember much of the the second half of the game, because it seemed to get a tad meh after a colourful start
Spoiler:
with Floyd getting captured, him escaping a prison, crash landing on a foreign planet inhabited by funny aliens..

It's not a bad game, though. You might take some of my harsher words with a grain of salt, since I've never understood the extreme fanboyism for Simon, either.

Last edited by samIamsad; 10-22-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
LA-S-LE

Defenetly worth playing. One of the smartest and funniest adventure games, with a really epic plot, wonderful british humor, great graphics and so on. The puzzle where you have to guess coordinates was one of the hardest and smartes logic puzzles I've ever come across. The one of its kind.
But the interface, character speed (really slow) and arcade sequence were out of place.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
Lost monkey

If you find it hard to play a game with a poor interface AVOID, the game is terribly ameteurish in every area but the wonderfully british humour. I played it for a couple hours but the interface and feel of the game killed it for me.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
Master of time and space

I don't think I'll avoid it due to the interface, I went through Grim Fandango and that interface it worse, right?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
Under pressure.

Amateur in every area but humor? So what about the graphics, music, voiceacting, story, and puzzles? Didn't look very amateur to me, if I'm honest.

--Erwin
Old 10-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #11

The whole package was well put together. I had the original 4 disk version. It ruled. In fact, im gona route it out! Although it wont run on xp damn it.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
I don't think I'll avoid it due to the interface, I went through Grim Fandango and that interface it worse, right?
It's at all the same sort of problems. FF uses a completely standard point-and-click interface; it's just implemented in a completely awkward way, making things unnecessarily tedious.

And I'll side with Erwin_Br regarding how "amateurish" the game is, and add that it had some of the best characters ever. SAM still has my vote for best sidekick.

And too all you people who don't like the game: smile and say you love it, or I'll call the happybots!
Old 10-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #13
Master of time and space

It sounds like a cross between Riven and Discworld
Gotta finish Myst V and go through all the movie-files so that ScummVM will play them.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #14

It seemed abit tough to get it working via scumm vm when i had a look:S
Old 10-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly View Post
It seemed abit tough to get it working via scumm vm when i had a look:S
Yes, you have to "recode" the movie-files due to some copyright issues... that way the SCUMM-team avoid getting shut down I think.
It's mainly due to that that I still haven't given the game a shot.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #16
capsized.

Quote:

No way, you need to perform like two dozens mouse clicks for even the simplest of actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
SAM still has my vote for best sidekick.
Sam's cool, he also has his best scenes in the first half of the game as well. An even cooler psycho robot thingie can be found in Kotor's HK-74. Gotta love that... er, dude. I've heard lots of bad things about the voice of the English speaking Floyd though. Which I can't say much about. He sounded a LOT like Brad Pitt to me. True story.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #17
Lost monkey

What I meant by amateurish is clear when you look at even the file structure, have they ever heard of packaging game files? Talk about a mess on your disk.

I suppose the problem is that its 3d animation from a period where it was new and impossible to accomplish anywhere near the standards we have today without a massive budget.

Had I played this game when it came out my opinion may have been different, but as it stands it just feels awful to play.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #18
Senior *female* member

Little Feeble is in my top 20. I thought the voiceacting was top-notch. I also agree with the review and with Kurufinwe's comments about the puzzles and terrible interface. Some of the puzzles were way too hard for me though, (dates and paint come to mind). Even with the help of a walkthrough. Yeah, I'm not the mathy type.

One thing no-one has mentioned: the game has a cruel streak and it violates the tacit rule that you don't make the player an accomplice to the game's cruelty and make them feel guilty. I hated it when
Spoiler:
that nice, touching girl on the phone, head over heels in love (great voiceacting!), first gets dumped because of something Feeble does and then even gets killed! I was really shocked when she started begging for her life. There were other cruel incidents too.

PS: A "cross between Riven and Discworld"...? No way! Good cycle, citizen.

Last edited by Fien; 10-22-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes, you have to "recode" the movie-files due to some copyright issues... that way the SCUMM-team avoid getting shut down I think.
It's mainly due to that that I still haven't given the game a shot.
What a...! that`s very awful expecially after seeing all you guys flowing your mind over this game,which strictly arouse my desire to play!
Can you handle it ? if try on scumm,I`ll encounter this copyright problem too...
Old 10-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #20
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by candywren View Post
What a...! that`s very awful expecially after seeing all you guys flowing your mind over this game,which strictly arouse my desire to play!
Can you handle it ? if try on scumm,I`ll encounter this copyright problem too...
I don't think it's any trouble reencoding if that's what you mean? It just takes time doing the encoding.

Quote:
What I meant by amateurish is clear when you look at even the file structure, have they ever heard of packaging game files? Talk about a mess on your disk.
I have the 2 CD version, maybe they've learned something since the initial release?