Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   How many new AGs do you buy/ how often? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/17210-how-many-new-ags-do-you-buy-how-often.html)

Terramax 10-01-2006 02:49 PM

How many new AGs do you buy/ how often?

OK, how many AGs released this year commercially?

Myst V: End of Ages
Ankh
Secret Files: Tunguska
BS4
Dreamfall
Keepsake
Barrow Hill
Scratches
Paradise

OK, you get my point. But how many have any of you actually bought?

So far I've only bought Ankh. The rest of the AGs have been older ones on Ebay or Amazon. Do People buy them as soon as they come out, wait for the price to drop, or simply not bother until years after, as they're too busy playing AGs of years before?

marsan 10-01-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 347728)

Ankh
BS4
Dreamfall
Keepsake
Barrow Hill
Scratches
Paradise

So far I've only bought Ankh. The rest of the AGs have been older ones on Ebay or Amazon. Do People buy them as soon as they come out, wait for the price to drop, or simply not bother until years after, as they're too busy playing AGs of years before?

If I buy it straight away depends on the game. Most of the games I got I've bought a few years after they were released. But there are some exceptions, like the Broken Sword series. I got Myst V now, but I waited about a year after it was released. Now I'm trying to complete my Myst collection, so I had to get that one too.

If the game is really great, I buy it right away. Else it can wait. I will also buy it right away if I feel it's important to support those who made it(gives them more cash if I buy it early). Like, I bought Dreamfall right away, since Funcom isn't that big of a company compared with many other companies in the world and they need the money. Same with Revolution Software. Unfortunately it looks like not much is left of the Revolution Software I used to know, so I don't know if I will buy it as soon as this time, when they released their next game. I will also buy Telltale games right away. Sam'n'Max forever!

Gonchi 10-01-2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 347728)

Ankh
BS4
Dreamfall
Keepsake
Barrow Hill
Scratches
Paradise

None.

The last Adventure Games I bought were Still Life, The Moment of Silence and Fahrenheit in October 2005. Since then I've traded some over GTZ, and won a couple on eBay, but nothing particularly recent, save for NiBiRu.

I'm hoping to pick most (if possible, all) of those on my next trip to the US.

Mordalles 10-01-2006 04:40 PM

none. :D

i did buy games this year (and some last). myst, riven, exile and myst 4, as well as broken sword 2.

Dara100 10-01-2006 09:27 PM

I've bought five of your nine:

Myst V
Ankh
Dreamfall
Barrow Hill
Scratches

Tanguska looks promising and I'll buy it if I see it in a store, since I only buy new games in boxes. I've played Myst V, Dreamfall and am working on Scratches. Just got Barrow Hill and Ankh. I'm pretty omniverous in my gaming tastes. I'll buy any game that gets a good review from several sites and forums if it catches my interest. I go through them pretty quickly so I like to have a couple on hand.

Jelena 10-01-2006 11:28 PM

From your list of new games I've bought Myst V, Dreamfall and Scratches.

And then I've bought at least ten older games since January. ;)

rumtruffle 10-02-2006 12:14 AM

i get them as soon as they get released in the UK.

not always easy getting them though.

ive never heard of scratches, probably isnt released in the uk.

barrow hill is later this year for the uk i believe.

Terramax 10-02-2006 01:37 AM

It certainly it. It's on Amazon.co.uk anyway. Infact, even though it's only for preorder, there are seven reviews on it already (don't suppose one of you on this site is responsible for any of the reviews?).

I find it interesting that so many so far won't buy AGs straight away in the shops unless it's a big release.

My main conclusion to this it, are AGs dead? No, but dying to the fact that so little of them are bought unless they're on the EA Sold Out range or Focus for 4.99.

At the end of the day, I guess if you really want a game badly, you buy at launch (which is why I constantly hung around my local computer game store until Ankh was in stock).

Quote:

Now I'm trying to complete my Myst collection, so I had to get that one too.
Funnily enough, I've just ordered Myst V to finish my collection. I've got the 3 originals in one pack and number 4 and 5 in their limited edition boxes (not forgetting the soundtracks).

On the subject, anyone know of a special edition Uru game(s) with a limited edition with soundtrack?

Following one back to my main question, are there any games in the future that you DEFINATLY buy at its launch? For me, Tony Tough 2, A Vampyre Story, the next Ankh game and possibly Runaway 2.

What's more exciting is that I'll have a brand spanking new PC to play these games on maximum graphics with *drools*

Dasilva 10-02-2006 02:37 AM

Last one I got was Dreamfall, nuff said.

samIamsad 10-02-2006 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 347846)
I find it interesting that so many so far won't buy AGs straight away in the shops unless it's a big release.

Yeah, well, that's sort of how that whole thing works. On the one hand, some people don't have that many money to spend to begin with. On the other, there is a crapload of games out there. If you don't believe me, walk into the shop of your choice and take a look around. You've got nothing to get me excited? Nothing that makes me pee my pants in delight? Sorry then, maybe next time, since..., wow, now this looks awesome!! :9~

...and that's pretty much it.

Panthera 10-02-2006 05:39 AM

I've bought every adventuregame I have (besides TLJ) since I joined here (feburary 2006), but of the ones you say I've only bought Dreamfall and Keepsake.

I'm going to buy Broken Sword 4 (but I'm waiting until I'm finished playing the other three) and I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy Tunguska when it's released here (27 october)

I was going to buy paradise, but I waited too long, and now the store doesn't have it anymore.. :S

Wimli 10-02-2006 05:47 AM

Of the ones you listed, I've only bought Dreamfall. Could be that I pick up Secret Files: Tunguska as well when it's released over here. I'm not a big Myst fan, so I probably won't get that one. I haven't played Broken Sword 3 yet, so no need to buy number four yet. The others I'll buy on ebay or other second hand sites as they are not available in stores here.

Kolzig 10-02-2006 07:05 AM

Dreamfall I should buy someday soon, but I'm just not yet ready for it. And also I really want the limited edition, but it's so darn expensive...
I haven't bought any adventure games this year, and seems that I won't buy anything, except maybe Dreamfall. Al Emmo kind of interests me also. :)
I'm through with buying mediocre or bad ags. Only the really good ones get my attention anymore :)

El Poppy 10-02-2006 07:22 AM

I can’t say that I’ve bought many games generally. I’m a broke student… I’ve mostly been playing old school adventures on the Amiga, the Secret of Monkey Island, Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Quest.

I did buy Fahrenheit though after a friend pressured me into buying it. Shadow of Memories (I know not new) was another great purchase. And I’ve just ordered Still Life after hearing the good reviews! :D
I’m still contemplating whether to buy BS4 though, user comments are putting me off. I’ll wait until if comes down in price, I’m tight with my money.

I think I will order any new releases online though, the last time I went into my local gaming shop these guys thought it was hilarious that a girl like me was into gaming. And when they asked me what I was into and I replied “adventure” one of them remarked "oh like platform?"

Fien 10-02-2006 08:06 AM

Bought as soon as they were released...

Myst V
Tunguska (in Gernan)
Keepsake
Barrow Hill (from the developer's site)
Al Emmo (not on the list :pan: )

Will not buy

Dreamfall (my specs not good enough)
Paradise (well... maybe second-hand on ebay for $5)
Scratches (doesn't appeal to me)

Might buy

BS4 (if they solve the drag-mouse-through-molasses problem)
Ankh

Gonchi 10-02-2006 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 347846)
are there any games in the future that you DEFINATLY buy at its launch?

No.

maladroid 10-02-2006 08:42 AM

I was quite surprised to realise that I have actually aquired three of the adventures in the list (not bad at all, given that I have distanced myself from the genre lately). Specifically: bought Dreamfall and Scratches at opening price and won Keepsake in a local Internet site contest. Only played Dreamfall so far, however.:shifty:

Usually, I tend to wait a few months in order to get my adventures cheaper (yet still new) but I seem to have disobeyed that tradition this year. Depending on the reviews, which will probably soon flood the Internet, and my budget, I might also consider getting Secret Files: Tunguska before the year is out.

(Edit)
PS: Besides Al Emmo, I believe you also failed to include Secrets of Da Vinci: The Forbidden Manuscript, and Safecracker (puzzle, I know, but still) in the list.

aries323 10-02-2006 08:49 AM

HI :)

I have bought Dreamfall, Keepsake and Myst V (5) this year.
Sometime this year or next year (2007) I will buy Paradise, Tunguska & Broksen Sword 4 as well as Barrow Hill.

Maybe I will also buy some small indie developers' games i.e. Remedy, Time Stands Still, Shivah etc. etc.

aries323

Terramax 10-02-2006 02:00 PM

I didn't make it clear, when I listed the ones earlier, I didnt' mean just those ones, if you bought new ones not on that list, they count as well.

Quote:

On the other, there is a crapload of games out there.
Yeah, but I'm on about just Adventure games which, when you think about it, there aren't a crap-many of those released in one years. The ones listed at the top make, what, one a month?

I'm sure a long time ago it was established that quite a few people out here ONLY play AG games, or the odd that's close to the genre (e.g. Psychonauts).
For those people, being the core audience of the programmers, how much you spend and how many bought in a year counts to alot.

Personally, it's the prices that hold me off buying straight away. If BS4 was out at 20 pounds I'd probably go for it, or if Keepsake and Barrow Hill were 9.99. As great as these games could be, they aren't probably worth that much when compared to the bigger game releases.

I know what might come here - 'that's the point, how do they compete?'.

I believe, that if independent games were cheaper at launch, many more are likely to be interested. Half the time, they go down in price a month or two later (as much to my disgression, getting Ankh for 34.99 only to see it go to 19.99 a month later) in which case we've shoved the game at the back of our mind for another, newer AG.

Blad3 10-02-2006 08:26 PM

This year? Dreamfall, BS4, HL2: EP1 (adventure game story.)

Last year I got Farenheit, Still Life and The Moment of Silence & one or two others (Martin Mystere.)

Just ordered Tunguska and will get Psychonaughts soon as well.

Paradise looks fairly interesting, but Sam and Max 2 is going be a must have, I'll go for Runaway 2 as well, despite finding the first appallingly bad. I hope they'll improve upon the firsts mistakes.

Not sure what else is coming out this year.