You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How many new AGs do you buy/ how often?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2006, 02:52 AM   #21

I'm generally broke, so I don't buy any new-release games ever. They're just too expensive. The only software I buy on issue is serious stuff I need for my work.

I do splurge on games when they come out as budget releases a few years later. Praise be to Sold Out Software! I also keep an eye out in charity shops and eBay and so forth.

Anyway, I don't care whether a game is new or old, or hot or not. It's more important that I like it when I play it.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Poppy View Post
I can’t say that I’ve bought many games generally. I’m a broke student… I’ve mostly been playing old school adventures on the Amiga, the Secret of Monkey Island, Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Quest.

I did buy Fahrenheit though after a friend pressured me into buying it. Shadow of Memories (I know not new) was another great purchase. And I’ve just ordered Still Life after hearing the good reviews!
I’m still contemplating whether to buy BS4 though, user comments are putting me off. I’ll wait until if comes down in price, I’m tight with my money.

I think I will order any new releases online though, the last time I went into my local gaming shop these guys thought it was hilarious that a girl like me was into gaming. And when they asked me what I was into and I replied “adventure” one of them remarked "oh like platform?"

That's just wrong. My wife plays adventure games now and again. In fact I know a lot of women who play them. I guess the guys in the store don't date much. hehe.

I'd buy a Vampire Story. If it's got the feel of the old Lucas Arts games that I'm hearing it does. I'll be all over it. I like the old school stuff (with some updated graphics if you please), and I like it humorous and not too serious.

My wife likes the scary stuff. hehe

I bought Ankh, and while it was entertaining I felt extremely clausterphobic while playing it. (the area seemed very small/short, and lacking in some detail.) I also felt it could have been funnier.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:01 AM   #23
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

I bought Barrow Hill and Scratches off the OP's list. But I'm thinking of getting Keepsake. I enjoyed the demo.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #24

So far this year I have purchased the following tittles new Secret Files: Tunguska, BS4, Dreamfall and The Secrets of Da Vinci: The Forbidden Manuscript. I am currently playing Secret Files: Tunguska and BS4. Secret Files on my Laptop and BS4 on my desktop as it runs allot better with a good graphics card.

I have just ordered Keepsake and Barrow Hill from Amazon along with the new C. J. Cherryh book. I tend to stock pile games when they are released then play through them over a period of time, depending on how much free time I have and how tired I am after finishing work.

I will go from not playing any computer games for weeks because I am spending my spare time reading or walking too playing through 2 or 3 adventure games in a month depending on my mood.

I prefer to buy games when they are first released to support the developers rather than wait for the budget release. But I will not buy a game I have not read a few good reviews for first before I had over my money.
I also always wait on the NO CD fix being released before I purchase a new games as I will not play games from the original media as I am unwilling to carry CD's or DVD's around with my laptop all the time.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:25 AM   #25

Well, I broke my own rule ("no new releases ever") when I pre-ordered the Ultimate Myst Collection. But then, that's 5 games for £20, so it more or less counts as a budget release. That's my excuse, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimli View Post
Of the ones you listed, I've only bought Dreamfall. Could be that I pick up Secret Files: Tunguska as well when it's released over here. I'm not a big Myst fan, so I probably won't get that one. I haven't played Broken Sword 3 yet, so no need to buy number four yet. The others I'll buy on ebay or other second hand sites as they are not available in stores here.
Tunguska has been in stores in Belgium since it was released in the U.K. (last days of September), and Ankh and Paradise are also immediately available in the big stores...
Old 10-24-2006, 11:56 AM   #27
Easily amused

I bought:
Myst 5
Barrow Hill
Keepsake
Paradise
Ankh
Scratches
Safecracker 2006
Lunar Deep
AGON Mysterious Codex

I will likely be getting:
Secret Files Tunguska
Broken Sword 3
Nacny Drew Danger by Design
Nancy Drew Creature of Kapu Cave
Secrets of Da Vinci
Old 10-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #28
Live Slow Die Old

None/Never. When I'm able to afford a computer that will play new games, I suppose I'll get some games to go with it. Although to be honest, nothing has really appealed to me too much in recent years. I think I'm just stubborn and old-fashioned.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:49 PM   #29
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

I've only bought Keepsake out of the list there. I have also played one of the small independant free games that had a rating done on it by this website.

That's it.

I'm hoping something else grabs my attention soon though as i would like another adventure to play. I might possibly grab Sam and Max... still thinking about it.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:57 PM   #30
QFG

I only buy games when they're much cheaper than new. I can't pay $60 for a game... but I can pay $60 for three or four games!
Old 10-25-2006, 03:04 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
Tunguska has been in stores in Belgium since it was released in the U.K. (last days of September), and Ankh and Paradise are also immediately available in the big stores...
Really? Tunguska only popped up in stores here halfway through October, it wasn't there yet when I made my previous post. And I should have added that Paradise is a game I'm absolutely not interested in. Syberia annoyed the hell out of me, and this one is supposed to be much, much worse than that one. Ankh is one I have indeed found in stores, but haven't bought yet. I never was sure whether I would like it. Some reviews and reports were very positive, others not so good. I may wait until it drops in price.

Anyway, back on topic:

In the mean time I bought the following:

Barrow Hill
Agon: The Mysterious Codex

Right now, the only new release I'm really looking forward to is Culpa Innata.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #32
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
OK, how many AGs released this year commercially?

Myst V: End of Ages
Ankh
Secret Files: Tunguska
BS4
Dreamfall
Keepsake
Barrow Hill
Scratches
Paradise

OK, you get my point. But how many have any of you actually bought?

So far I've only bought Ankh. The rest of the AGs have been older ones on Ebay or Amazon. Do People buy them as soon as they come out, wait for the price to drop, or simply not bother until years after, as they're too busy playing AGs of years before?

I've bought Ankh, Dreamfall, Keepsake, Scratches and Paradise and I've pre-ordered Secret Files: Tunguska, along with Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express, but they aren't coming to me until the end of November. BS4 has not been released in North America yet or I would have it. I buy the games as soon as they are released. I can't wait. These games cannot be released fast enough for me.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #33
Master of time and space

Only Barrow Hill and Myst V. Got too many older ones to finish to bother getting all the new ones.