You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Please recommend an adventure game for my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 12:41 PM   #1

Default Please recommend an adventure game for my wife

My wife isn't a regular gamer, she normally only plays Mahjong and some other puzzle games. She asked me the other day to get her a adventure style game. She said she doesn't want to have a time limit, doesn't want to worry about dieing and starting over at a certain point, and doesn't want any violence.

Im not much of an adventure gamer, but I have played some adventure games in the past (Grim Fandango, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKraken, yes im old C64). Im more of a FPS gamer now (HalfLife, etc)

Anyone recommend a game that meets this criteria?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Slim Shady

The Longest Journey.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
FlipFrame

Sims 2...my girlfriend/might-as-well-be-my-wife has been playing that game since it came out. She's able to make up these stories(lesbian infidelity...the usualy) that she'll spend hours on...wish my games had that kind of longevity. Hell I'd settle for a TENTH of that longevity!!

No really, I'm being serious...don't limit yourself to just "AG"'s, consider all the games that your wife might like. Other notables are Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, though of course you'll need a Gamecube for those, at least you can engage her in the hobby...and none of these games contain dexterity based gaming nor 'violence' (whatever THAT is ).

Also, consider games that are light on dextrous play but high on narrative content and that are 'pretty' to look at...Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts for example, but save those until she's assimilated...err acclimated (RESISTANCEISFUTILE!!!*cough*)

Ultimately though, you cant go wrong at ALL with Grim Fandango. Its terribly charming, very different and masterfully paced. I've yet to see a modern AG thats worth even showing to a non-gamer to be blunt...

Cheers
Old 09-26-2006, 01:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG View Post
Sims 2...my girlfriend/might-as-well-be-my-wife has been playing that game since it came out. She's able to make up these stories(lesbian infidelity...the usualy) that she'll spend hours on...wish my games had that kind of longevity. Hell I'd settle for a TENTH of that longevity!!

No really, I'm being serious...don't limit yourself to just "AG"'s, consider all the games that your wife might like. Other notables are Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, though of course you'll need a Gamecube for those, at least you can engage her in the hobby...and none of these games contain dexterity based gaming nor 'violence' (whatever THAT is ).

Also, consider games that are light on dextrous play but high on narrative content and that are 'pretty' to look at...Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts for example, but save those until she's assimilated...err acclimated (RESISTANCEISFUTILE!!!*cough*)

Ultimately though, you cant go wrong at ALL with Grim Fandango. Its terribly charming, very different and masterfully paced. I've yet to see a modern AG thats worth even showing to a non-gamer to be blunt...

Cheers
I thought about the Sims, but she doesnt like reality type games. I may install Grim Fandango for her. I havent played it since I had Win95. Will I have trouble installing it on her WinXP laptop?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
FlipFrame

Well 'reality' is a bit of a stretch with the Sims...

...and no, Grim should install just fine(XP Pro)...did it myself early this year.

Cheers
Old 09-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #6

I don't think Grim Fandango would be a good choice to introduce a casual gamer to adventure games. Grim Fandango is a wonderful game but it has a quirky control that might bother casual gamers who are used to simple controls. I'd go with a pure P&C. Besides, Grim Fandango is pretty hard game that might frustrate a novice adventure gamer.

I'd suggest something like Syberia instead. Still Life is also very good and I know a lot of female gamers who loved it despite its dark themes. If your wife doesn't like violence though, she might not like Still Life as it has to do with a serial killer and there are some gory scenes even though it's a pure adventure game without any action-based gaming.

- Akane, Ranma and Juliet
Old 09-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
Psychonaut

Syberia is nice and easy and is a gentle break in to the world of adventures.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Ronin

Gamemonkey, what is your wife's IQ?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm View Post
Gamemonkey, what is your wife's IQ?
Hehe, i dont know. (I dont even know mine). Shes smart if thats what you are asking, currently going to school for nursing.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:36 PM   #10
Ronin

Okay, in that case, get her Safecracker. (Dumb people don't like it.)
Old 09-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
hello

Syberia is a great place to start i think, great graphics, relatively easy, so a nice introduction into adventure games. And every female i know who has played the game has loved it
Old 09-26-2006, 03:41 PM   #12

I think Telltale's Bone: Out From Boneville would be a great introduction. Cute characters, pretty easy puzzles, short game to finish.

Then if she liked that you can get Bone: The Great Cow Race, which continues the Out from Boneville story, has the same sort of gameplay, but is longer and harder.

From there you'll have her primed for Sam & Max season 1 and there'll be no looking back...

Seriously though, the 2 Bone games would be ideal starters.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:56 PM   #13

My guess is that she will love Syberia. Both guys and gals really like this game.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 09-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Black Mirror will definetly keeps her on the edge of her seat
Old 09-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #15
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm View Post
Okay, in that case, get her Safecracker. (Dumb people don't like it.)
Ouch!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:52 AM   #16

I'd also recommend Syberia. Pure p&c, not difficult, great graphics.

My wife also plays solitaire, mahjong and is a big fan of sims, tycoon games and those stupid virtual pet things. When she saw Syberia she said she really wants to play it.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:02 AM   #17
Slim Shady

I believe he already has Syberia (http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ad.php?t=17128) ,that's why I didn't recommend it in the first place.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:15 AM   #18
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane_t View Post
I don't think Grim Fandango would be a good choice to introduce a casual gamer to adventure games. Grim Fandango is a wonderful game but it has a quirky control that might bother casual gamers who are used to simple controls. I'd go with a pure P&C. Besides, Grim Fandango is pretty hard game that might frustrate a novice adventure gamer.
I agree that Grim Fandango isn't a game to start with mostly because it is difficult. The Longest Journey would be a good choice imo. Broken Sword (TSotT) is another game that I think would appeal to a new gamer.

Last edited by Jelena; 09-27-2006 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:29 AM   #19

Still Life..because the suspense of the plot will keep your wife playing, the main character is a woman, so she may identify with her and the graphics (in my opinion) are great.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:38 AM   #20

My wife fell in love with adventure games with Curse Of Monkey Island and Day Of The Tentacle