You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Al Emmo soundtrack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq
Default Al Emmo soundtrack

Great review of Al Emmo. I agree with most of it. The part of the review I completely disagreed with was the music. During the production of the game, I was sent the soundtrack. I listened to it extensively for about a month late at night (with the cool breeze blowing through my window) while working on the website. Sometimes I felt like I was actually working by a campfire in the desert - totally atmospheric. Calling the soundtrack "fairly negligible" is a disservice to the musicians. The soundtrack was agreed to be made a promotional item towards the end of the project due to overwhelming response from players and reviewers.

Am I going to push the purchase of the soundtrack? HELL YEA. And not only because I designed the lovely packaging ... but because it's truly quite an amazing body of work. From one HUGE Sierra fan to another, If you appreciated all the Roland MT-32 music from the Sierra classics, you owe it to yourself to buy this soundtrack.

“The music of Al Emmo has nothing to be jealous of compared to the music we used to listen to in the classic Sierra games.”
- Adventure Europe

“... Superbly done. The original soundtrack really adds a Western atmosphere to the game world at large and punctuates some of Al’s predicaments.”
-Four Fat Chicks

I LOVE the music! Fantastic job! It’s probably one of the best sound-tracks I’ve heard for any adventure game (and I’m an “old fart” who’s played a lot of adventure games) The music set the mood and the feel of each scene and area of the game perfectly and added such a “natural” flow to the pacing of the game and various scenes. Myself being an amateur harmonica-player, I can much appreciate the obvious skill and effort that went into creating the many varied musical scores within this game.
-
Don McPherson (aka Barbarian),Hong Kong

The soundtrack was magnificent. Being a musician that plays 4 instruments and sings, I can definitely appreciate it when you can close your eyes and listen to a track from a game, and see everything about the room completely just from the melody. Even down to the pianist hitting the random off note, everything was a masterpiece. I can tell a lot of work went into it, and I know from experience it takes a lot of heart to make music to match ANYTHING. Salut on a fantabulous job.

-
Sean Swartzwelder (aka Neodraven), Wisconsin, USA

Last edited by eriq; 09-18-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

For what it's worth, I really liked the music in Al Emmo as well.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Well that's worth a lot. You're the AG Diva around here. And a Sierra adventure game devotee.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
Bad command or file name

I've only played an hour of the game but I'm very taken with the quality of the music. It is just the right mix of great song writing with a retro feel that just fits the rest of the game perfectly. Heck, my one complaint is that there isn't MORE music in the game. Certain scenes feel a bit sterile until the soundtrack kicks in.

I also applaud the release of a separate CD soundtrack. I haven't listened to mine yet but I hope to pop it in tonight. Too bad I don't do updates to my game soundtrack website anymore. I think I'm officially retired from web development now. It will at least make a great addition to the soundtrack collection.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!