You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword 4: The Angel of Death - finished it (Beware potential spoilers)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 01:38 AM   #81

I wonder what kind of adventure games many people on this forum like if you think this game sucks so much. In my opinion it's one of the best adventure games in recent years. The story was great, George is in top form, and the locations wonderful. The only problem, and what keeps this game from being a really great game in my opinion is the horrible ending, as almost everyone has pointed out... that was so disappointing.

Then again, I really like Broken Sword 3 as well, and don't think that game is much worse than Broken Sword 1...
Old 03-13-2007, 06:52 AM   #82
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsan View Post
"I don't know to be honest. Personally i think it needs to go back to basics - eg back to bs1 and pick up where that game left off. Proper 2d, less 'bigging up' of the scenario, etc. This may require a very different publishing environment though."

Just to sum up. I agree with him fully
I second that! Bring on the next-gen 2D graphics!!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #83
Roman5

Just finished it.

In short, quite good game, terrible ending, albeit quite sad.

I was actually expecting
Spoiler:
to see an angel of darkness skeleton with wings flying around at the end spitting fireballs or something.

Yes, this broken sword does seem to have been rushed and will never be a classic.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:25 AM   #84
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman5 View Post
Yes, this broken sword does seem to have been rushed and will never be a classic.
The interface is one of the worst I have ever experienced in an adventure game.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #85
The name says it all!

Default Worst ending ever!

I am ofcourse talking about the end of Broken Sword 4 which probably ends the whole series! I just cant believe it would end like that, it's like they completely forgott about it and accidently shiped the game without an end. I feel so cheated, after all this time and this is how it's going to end. Short and abrupt and with no class at all, I want spoil it for you but don't blink what ever you do or you'll miss it!!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #86
Dreamfall Soon!

Just finished the game.

Seriously, WTF?? How could they end it like that.

This was definitely, by far, the worst of the series IMO. I still enjoyed it though and wouldn't say it was even among the worst adventures I've ever played but I just loved the other three so much.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 AM   #87
The name says it all!

Yeah exactly it deserved a better sending off.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #88
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

i thought the graphics were more detailed in the first 2 games, 3d hasnt yet got the right look. the game was quite good but the ending, ive just finished it and im thinking is that it. we know nico and george should be together and so the next game should have a proper ending with a kind of happier ever after video with them leaving for thier honeymoon or something. that leaves it open for honeymoon trobles of a templer sort. The other thing george is now the last templer knight shouldnt their be an ending around that.

i hope they make 5 and not in an episode way and hopefully with the imagination that had us gripped in the first 2 games. The stories seemed better and the plot was better constructed with a lot less crate puzzles. who could forget the goat or the little girl (did we ever find out if she was a ghost). i would also like to see more of the world, and duane with pearl. I also think they should finish were they started the blown up cafe in paris.

Marise-Chiko
Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandcliklover View Post
who could forget the goat or the little girl (did we ever find out if she was a ghost).
Spoiler:
she sure was

According to Steve Ince, the brain behind the mind... eh... the thingy behind the scriptomablob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince View Post
You think I'm any less confused?

Spoiler:
Emily is definitely a ghost, killed accidentally during a game of hide and seek.

Funnily enough there was/is a recent thread on the Revolution forum about this.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #90

Default Broken Sword 4 - Comments in the present

Anyone else think that it takes something away from the atmosphere of the Series that George's comments are no longer in the past but in the present tense? I always thought it added a nice novel-like feel to the narrative.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:36 PM   #91

it seemed the first game was loved by all - then the next three feelings are mixed on. Some love the 2, some hate it, etc.

This one some love, some don't - like 2 and 3.

I myself LOVE BS4, it's very good - plot is solid and so is the play.

A worthy addition to the series.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #92
Headbanger

I think The Angel of Death is a great game. It has some weak parts but is still one of the better (100%) adventure games I played in years.

I like all games in the series except for The Sleeping Dragon which had its moments but wasn't near as good as the other games.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #93

The ending was terrible, but I still liked it better than BS3 because it didn't have as many stealth puzzles.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:51 AM   #94
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I have just finished BS4; I really liked it. It feels much more like BS1, though it still has its faults.

I agree with the ending being rushed; but thats the same issue in BS2 and BS3; only BS1 nailed the ending for me. Also 4 has alot of plot holes, and conversations towards the end of the game that don't make much sense/parts of the game that aren't clear. I have a feeling they had to rush certain elements to get the game finished; so it has some good puzzles at the end but some wierd situations

Spoiler:
Such as the tramp appearing and disappearing; though that was funny. Also the priest Mark and the mafia guy Spallaci; no explanation as to how they know each other nor why on earth they are going to help each other from now on. Also that turkish investigator just reappearing and shooting whats-her-face. All elements that could have been developed more OR just cut. Why not just make Whats-her-face-maria an evil cow? Not this bizzarre "oh I slept with you george and suddenly regret being evil" stuff.

Either way, just like BS2, and BS3 this game needed an Epilogue to round the story off. At the very least a conversation between Nico and George. An epilogue could be to see him at the funeral of whats-her-face, comforted by nico and some dialogue to explain what they did with the Ark, and how they escaped the crypt without being shot by that group of nutty priests.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #95

I'm finally finished BS4 -- a charming adventure game.

I liked it better than the third one --- lot's of fun and it played like a dream!

Some plot holes sure -- BUT it was fun and it had some great characters in it!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #96
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

I have finished it, too. It's a great game, a lot of interesting puzzles, story, characters...
But I agree with vivasawadee and this interface problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee View Post
The interface is one of the worst I have ever experienced in an adventure game.
Terrible..
And about the ending..you are going to be suprised but I think that was ok because I don't give a damn about Anna Maria...she's bitch.
Now, let's play some Sanitarium.
Wishlist: Belief & Betrayal, Gabriel Knight Series, Black Dahlia ...
Old 04-28-2007, 06:52 PM   #97

I finished the game a while back. The ending felt rather flat. In fact, the last half of the game felt so rushed, so unsatisfying. I didn't like the way some characters suddenly appeared and then left the stage for no apparent reason. Or the unexplained ways in which certain parties were connected. I actually liked Anna Maria, and I did hope that she'd stick around, so that part of the ending left me a little disappointed.

It's kinda strange that I think of the even numbered BS games as the most disappointing of the lot. Both BS2 and 4 felt rushed and incomplete to me. BS1 and 3 are, IMO, the better examples of this series.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #98
Passion Adventurist

Yeah, that sudden appear of some characters was completely out of reason...Like in some bad movie...
Old 05-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #99
Headbanger

Sudden appear of characters? Did I miss something?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #100
Passion Adventurist

Well, what I meant was for example in the end:
Spoiler:
...when first Mark appears to save you and then suddenly Archie. I mean wtf?..