You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 04:09 AM   #81

The only thing that really bugged me was how every sentence in the entire game had the words "Kate Walker" somewhere in it. They were all "Kate Walker" this and "Kate Walker" that. Dem robotz all like "Kate Walker, take old dude to Kate Walker Syberia, first wind Kate Walker up da train, and find me some robot lubricant Kate Walker."
Old 11-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #82

hahaha reading through this thread is hilarious. i was being so aggressive. i can't remember if that was on purpose or not, but during the time i made this thread i was going through hell with medical problems. i might've just wanted to have fun and shake up and provoke a discussion too since this forum isn't quite as lively as others i frequent.

i stand by my sentiment though, and now i realize that it really was kind of a harbinger for things to come in the genre in the years since it came out. adventures got so lifeless and lacking in terms of interactivity, concise writing, and creative solutions. although that might be changing now, finally, with the influx of small studios and different mediums.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #83
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll View Post
i stand by my sentiment though, and now i realize that it really was kind of a harbinger for things to come in the genre in the years since it came out. adventures got so lifeless and lacking in terms of interactivity, concise writing, and creative solutions. although that might be changing now, finally, with the influx of small studios and different mediums.
http://adventuredevelopers.com/featu...=31&showpage=1

It's a very long article, 4 parts. Take your time with it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #84
3rd person fanatic :)

That article is just rubbish. Pure trash. Pure Probaganda. We simply have to define the borders of our genre. Otherwise it will fade and be forgotten once and for all. I couldn't finnish the article, because my blood started to boil after 2 pages. That kind of thinking is a cancer of pure adventure games and misleads even some producers to incorrectly think that "Maybe people want action in their adventures". Bloody hell. Now I know why we have so apalling games today!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #85

The article is just ridiculously verbose and very poorly written. It could be condensed into a page easily. I skimmed it, it seemed to just keep saying the same vague things over and over.

In the 90s heyday, adventures were evolving all the time. No two were exactly alike. I have no problem with adventure games evolving, the sky should be the limit. I want to see an adventure made with the same production value and craftsmanship of a Half Life 2 or something. All that matters to me is the creative problem solving on the part of the player's brain, not the character's, that's what defines the genre to me.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #86

It's funny that this person talks about the innovation and freshness of other genres whilst bashing the adventure genre. If you look in the right spots, enthusiasts of all the other genres are saying the exact (and I mean exact) stuff about the specific genre they like and comparing (grahpics, innovation, stale stories, old mechanics) to other genres that they think are fresh and exciting. I for one am a big rpg fan, a genre in which its fans have been spouting this same old garbage since the release of the PS1 and to a greater extent PS2, mainly due to changes in graphics and changing the core game mechanics around just to fit the new graphics (which IMO is a horrible way to go about things, there is nothing wrong with 2D). And just recently there has been a major shift in rpg mechanic and genre definitions, mainly due to the shooting games adding in certain elements of RPG and clinging to the genre (Borderlands, Mass Effect), to many a fans outrage.

I don't think there needs to be innovation or changes anywhere. I will say this again and again "if it aint broke, dont fix it". I just don't see why the new and old cant just live together, and if it permits, under a different genre name. There is not point changing what things are becuase well then they would be different, what is the use in that?

I think everyone is just jaded (especially long time gamers) becuase the medium is getting a little bit older, and things are being reused becuase there isn't a story that hasn't been told.

I am predicting another video game bust within the next 5 years. Maybe then if the adventure genre gets some luck, it may rise again from its cave of glory.