You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Myst, Aura, Sentinel, Schizm etc.

View Poll Results: Most fun "Myst"-clone (including Myst ;-))
Myst 3 5.08%
Riven 20 33.90%
Exile 4 6.78%
Revelation 7 11.86%
End of Ages 2 3.39%
Sentinel 2 3.39%
Aura - Fate of the Ages 3 5.08%
Voyage 8 13.56%
Mysterious Journey 0 0%
Post Mortem 1 1.69%
Lighthouse 0 0%
Amerzone 0 0%
Blackstone Chronicles 3 5.08%
Amber 0 0%
Other 6 10.17%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
Master of time and space

Default Myst, Aura, Sentinel, Schizm etc.

How many have played these games (and those alike). What did you think about them? I still have Sentinel waiting in my bookcase and I still havent finished Schizm DVD.
Also, for those living in Sweden, Tradera has Schizm out for less than €6.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:10 AM   #2
Dungeon Master

Hm... I don't see how Voyage, Blackstone Chronicles and Post Mortem could be classified as Myst-clones at all. I'm not too sure about Amber and Amerzone, either.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:41 AM   #3
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Hm... I don't see how Voyage, Blackstone Chronicles and Post Mortem could be classified as Myst-clones at all. I'm not too sure about Amber and Amerzone, either.
I'm probably over generalising, but I was bored and wanted to have more poll options
Old 09-12-2006, 03:00 AM   #4
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Damn!! Beat me to it! Was going to post the same thing....
Old 09-12-2006, 03:12 AM   #5
Lazy Bee

I've played all the games in the Myst series and Aura. Sentinel is halfway finished. It's not possible to do multiple choices in this poll though.
Aura (as I know I've said before) hasn't much of a story, but easy puzzles (most of them anyway) and great music and stunning graphics.
Sentinel is a lot more difficult imho, is has really challenging puzzles where you really need to take notes and draw maps if you're going to solve them. Not much of a story there either sadly.

Last edited by Jelena; 09-12-2006 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:42 AM   #6

I say Riven, by far. Although I haven't played all the games on this list, I have played all the games in the Myst series. I found the follow-ups to be very good but lacking in the Riven mystic which is: art, plot, actors, puzzles, and music perfectly integrated to create a world that FELT real.

I also tried playing Aura which is much like Schizm. These are two rare games that I couldn't bother to finish. They have some beautiful scenes but the story lines are thin, the puzzles too frequent and random to the plot, and the opportunities to explore consistantly blocked so you couldn't feel the adventure.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 09-12-2006, 06:25 AM   #7

I hate myst games...
Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #8

i've only played riven on the list (and myst), and currently playing exile. but had to vote riven.

enwsiths, don't get angry with something you don't understand.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
Master of time and space

I want to give Schizm another try, but the lack of subtitles made the cutscenes very hard for me to understand and thus the clues hard to get. The "gas collector"-puzzle for instance was a nightmare for me to solve. I have the DVD-version and no idea how to turn subtitles on.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Myst V is probably my personal favourite out of all these kind of games.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
merely human

I still love realMyst up to this day. 'Cept that's not a Myst clone.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwsiths
I hate myst games...
Which ones have you played?

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 09-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
Funky Member

Riven is one of the few games I consider to be perfect.

So, it gets my vote.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #14
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by portabello
Riven is one of the few games I consider to be perfect.

So, it gets my vote.
I also think Riven is a superb game, but I felt Revelation was more involved. I had a lot of fun with Riven, but even more so with Revelation so my vote is on Revelation. Spire was AWESOME!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
Funky Member

I have not yet had the chance to play the last two games.

From what I have seen Revelation looks pretty good though. I just felt out of every game I have ever played, Riven made the most sense. Everything fit together perfectly.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #16

I love revelation. Just wish I had the time to play it properly and get further. Oh well... I own Riven but haven't played it, and wont until I complete Revelation, then I'm going to go through the whole Myst series 1-5.

To be honest, I don't like many 1st persons. They have so little story (although I'm hoping Post Mortem will have, I'mma get that as soon as I get into the mood of playing Still Life again.

Amerzone was ok, but again, such little plot and some shoddy graphics put me off a bit.

But the one thing I hate most about 1st persons is having to read countless books, often in handwriting that I can't understand. At least some game companies have taken the hint and have V.O.s to read out the lettering, making it less tiresome. How can someone relax when having to squint their eyes to understand so much literacy?

Anyway, thanks for the pole. Reminds me I really gotta get a whole day off from one of my work places and get back to Revelation.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #17
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I hate Myst games as well. figuring out how ancient alien machinery works in order to solve some puzzle that I didn't know needed solving, or with little or no sense of a goal or plot, isn't my idea of fun.

Although I did like Zork: Nemesis for some reason, so I voted "Other".
Old 09-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #18
Protector of the Seal

I voted for Exile. There was more of a fun factor in it and the puzzles felt more comprehensible. And the soundtrack was tremendous.

I've also played Myst, realMyst, Riven, and Uru. I have Revelation and End of Ages, but I haven't touched Revelation in 10 months. I finished Haven with it's lowsy controls, but then after getting to Spire and looking around, I found it extremely daunting and haven't ran the game since.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #19
It's Hard To Be Humble

For me, it's a toss up between Journeyman 2: Buried in Time, and Shivers. Those were my favourite 'almost no interaction first person puzzle mystery' adventures.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:37 AM   #20

Riven would get my vote even if the poll was about the best video/computer game ever... Simply perfect.

The worst on that list is Post Mortem. It tells a decent story and has nice graphics but the rest, especially the puzzles and dialouge system, is just a mess. Not really sure it should be called a Myst clone at all though, since the gameplay in PM is very much focused on talking to other characters.