Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Myst, Aura, Sentinel, Schizm etc. (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/16836-myst-aura-sentinel-schizm-etc.html)

MdaG 09-12-2006 12:51 AM

Myst, Aura, Sentinel, Schizm etc.

How many have played these games (and those alike). What did you think about them? I still have Sentinel waiting in my bookcase and I still havent finished Schizm DVD.
Also, for those living in Sweden, Tradera has Schizm out for less than €6.

AFGNCAAP 09-12-2006 01:10 AM

Hm... I don't see how Voyage, Blackstone Chronicles and Post Mortem could be classified as Myst-clones at all. I'm not too sure about Amber and Amerzone, either.

MdaG 09-12-2006 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Hm... I don't see how Voyage, Blackstone Chronicles and Post Mortem could be classified as Myst-clones at all. I'm not too sure about Amber and Amerzone, either.

I'm probably over generalising, but I was bored and wanted to have more poll options :P

LeisureSuitedLooney 09-12-2006 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP

Damn!! Beat me to it! Was going to post the same thing....

Jelena 09-12-2006 03:12 AM

I've played all the games in the Myst series and Aura. Sentinel is halfway finished. It's not possible to do multiple choices in this poll though.
Aura (as I know I've said before) hasn't much of a story, but easy puzzles (most of them anyway) and great music and stunning graphics.
Sentinel is a lot more difficult imho, is has really challenging puzzles where you really need to take notes and draw maps if you're going to solve them. Not much of a story there either sadly.

AprilLives 09-12-2006 05:42 AM

I say Riven, by far. Although I haven't played all the games on this list, I have played all the games in the Myst series. I found the follow-ups to be very good but lacking in the Riven mystic which is: art, plot, actors, puzzles, and music perfectly integrated to create a world that FELT real.

I also tried playing Aura which is much like Schizm. These are two rare games that I couldn't bother to finish. They have some beautiful scenes but the story lines are thin, the puzzles too frequent and random to the plot, and the opportunities to explore consistantly blocked so you couldn't feel the adventure.

enwsiths 09-12-2006 06:25 AM

I hate myst games...

Mordalles 09-12-2006 10:55 AM

i've only played riven on the list (and myst), and currently playing exile. but had to vote riven. :7

enwsiths, don't get angry with something you don't understand. ;)

MdaG 09-12-2006 11:33 AM

I want to give Schizm another try, but the lack of subtitles made the cutscenes very hard for me to understand and thus the clues hard to get. The "gas collector"-puzzle for instance was a nightmare for me to solve. I have the DVD-version and no idea how to turn subtitles on.

Dasilva 09-12-2006 11:37 AM

Myst V is probably my personal favourite out of all these kind of games.

Intrepid Homoludens 09-12-2006 11:39 AM

I still love realMyst up to this day. 'Cept that's not a Myst clone.

AprilLives 09-12-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enwsiths
I hate myst games...

Which ones have you played?

portabello 09-12-2006 12:24 PM

Riven is one of the few games I consider to be perfect.

So, it gets my vote.

MdaG 09-12-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portabello
Riven is one of the few games I consider to be perfect.

So, it gets my vote.

I also think Riven is a superb game, but I felt Revelation was more involved. I had a lot of fun with Riven, but even more so with Revelation so my vote is on Revelation. Spire was AWESOME!

portabello 09-12-2006 02:15 PM

I have not yet had the chance to play the last two games.

From what I have seen Revelation looks pretty good though. I just felt out of every game I have ever played, Riven made the most sense. Everything fit together perfectly.

Terramax 09-12-2006 03:03 PM

I love revelation. Just wish I had the time to play it properly and get further. Oh well... I own Riven but haven't played it, and wont until I complete Revelation, then I'm going to go through the whole Myst series 1-5.

To be honest, I don't like many 1st persons. They have so little story (although I'm hoping Post Mortem will have, I'mma get that as soon as I get into the mood of playing Still Life again.

Amerzone was ok, but again, such little plot and some shoddy graphics put me off a bit.

But the one thing I hate most about 1st persons is having to read countless books, often in handwriting that I can't understand. At least some game companies have taken the hint and have V.O.s to read out the lettering, making it less tiresome. How can someone relax when having to squint their eyes to understand so much literacy?

Anyway, thanks for the pole. Reminds me I really gotta get a whole day off from one of my work places and get back to Revelation.

artwking4 09-12-2006 08:34 PM

I hate Myst games as well. figuring out how ancient alien machinery works in order to solve some puzzle that I didn't know needed solving, or with little or no sense of a goal or plot, isn't my idea of fun.

Although I did like Zork: Nemesis for some reason, so I voted "Other".

Molgera 09-12-2006 08:50 PM

I voted for Exile. There was more of a fun factor in it and the puzzles felt more comprehensible. And the soundtrack was tremendous.

I've also played Myst, realMyst, Riven, and Uru. I have Revelation and End of Ages, but I haven't touched Revelation in 10 months. I finished Haven with it's lowsy controls, but then after getting to Spire and looking around, I found it extremely daunting and haven't ran the game since.

Lee in Limbo 09-12-2006 11:13 PM

For me, it's a toss up between Journeyman 2: Buried in Time, and Shivers. Those were my favourite 'almost no interaction first person puzzle mystery' adventures.

Veovis 09-13-2006 12:37 AM

Riven would get my vote even if the poll was about the best video/computer game ever... Simply perfect.

The worst on that list is Post Mortem. It tells a decent story and has nice graphics but the rest, especially the puzzles and dialouge system, is just a mess. Not really sure it should be called a Myst clone at all though, since the gameplay in PM is very much focused on talking to other characters.