You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Loath Nolder: Labores Solis

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
Dungeon Master

Default Loath Nolder: Labores Solis

What, no fans of Lovecraft-like stories around here? Or is it just that nobody reads previews when the game's title consists of four bizarre words?

As tired as I am starting to feel with all the released and upcoming independent horror AGs, this may be something worth waiting for, according to the preview. I especially like this part:
Quote:
The game introduces an ambitious variety of dramatic graphical effects to increase atmosphere and player immersion, and the results are (intentionally) disturbing. Included are such things as a noise filter, which creates a deliberately grainy appearance whenever Howard feels uncomfortable (though Zoetrope will offer an option to disable this effect in the full game), motion blurring for moments of panic, radial blurring for enhanced attention, and other "unrealistic" post-screen effects for when Howard can no longer determine the real from surreal.
A gimmick, perhaps (it looks as though those features won't affect the gameplay), but I think nothing similar (on this scale) has been really done in interactive storytelling. (In other genres there is the new Call of Cthulhu game; in AGs I can't think of anything.)
Old 09-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
Easily amused

This looks like a promising game for me.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

The title is a mouthful, isn't it?

I was really skeptical about this game when the demo first arrived. I resisted any Duke Nukem Forever jokes in the preview, but it's hard to have any confidence in a game best known for its development problems. But I was very pleasantly surprised by what I saw. It was genuinely creepy, which is not something I felt very often in the other recent horrors.

The various graphic features are a nice touch, too. I hope they're only used sparingly, though, as they tend to lose their effect if overused. Coincidentally, I'm now playing Cthulhu: DCOTE, and I'm already tired of it in that game. Ditto for Silent Hill 2 back in the day.

I'm not sure why so many indie horrors are coming out. My guess is that isolation is advantageous both to atmosphere and to development costs.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I was really skeptical about this game when the demo first arrived.
There´s a demo for Loath Nolder!?
Is it available online?
Old 09-15-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

Yes, there's a demo, but no, it's not public. I was talking about the demo the preview was based on. Not much point previewing a public demo.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Yes, there's a demo, but no, it's not public. I was talking about the demo the preview was based on. Not much point previewing a public demo.
Imagine how cool it would be if someone "accidentaly" leaked that demo out on the internet?