You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure CMI Demo/Game Cutscene Comparison, and Alternate Credit Design

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Retired Buccaneer

Default CMI Demo/Game Cutscene Comparison, and Alternate Credit Design

I've been busy all morning and afternoon whipping up a new page on The Curse of Monkey Island. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Personally I like the original opening credits backgrounds more than the final versions. Plus the mermaid is cool--pity management made them remove it.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

You always impress ATM. This is one of my favourite games so it's extra special to see all the cool stuff you dug up. Great work!

I agree! The mermaid is pretty lovely.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Very nice, thanks for the page on CMI!

The mermaid screen looks really nice...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
gaybrush threepwoody

I would like to add that I particularly enjoyed your look at LucasArt's logo progression. Did you know that a design pal of mine, Grant Peterson, developed the LucasArts logo? He lives here in San Francisco. My friend Mark's design firm "Sequence.com" represents some of his identity work and you can see the LucasArts logo proudly displayed in the portfolio.

link to ATM's LucasArts logo analysis

link to Sequence.com

edit : well I guess they removed the LucasArts logo from the site! woops. They made room for all of the newer stuff.

Last edited by eriq; 09-10-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
I would like to add that I particularly enjoyed your look at LucasArt's logo progression. Did you know that my friend Grant Peterson designed the LucasArts logo? He lives here in San Francisco. My friend Mark's design firm "Sequence.com" represents some of his identity work and you can see the LucasArts logo proudly displayed in the portfolio.
Which LEC logo would that be? The "Lucasfilm Games" thing of yore, the classic Gold Guy on the purple L, or the new Gold Guy that looks sort of X-shaped?
Old 09-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
gaybrush threepwoody

The original gold guy logo. Here is Grant's website (no portfolio online)... maybe if you email him and ask him nicely, he'd be willing to show us some cool early LucasArts logo stuff. He's a really amazing designer.

http://grantpeterson.com/

This is the logo he did:

Old 09-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #7

Great work, ATMachine, as always!

I actually prefer the credits as they were in the final game, though I also wish they'd kept the mermaid.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 09-11-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
Retired Buccaneer

I've pasted the CMI credit titles into the old backgrounds to give a better impression of how the original credits idea might have looked.

I'm probably not going to add them to the CMI page, so I'll just post them here. Dial-up users be warned!

The credits on the last one are my guess as to what was intended for that background. I base that on 1) the position of the credits on the screen in the final game, and 2) the fact that the mermaid has a cameo as a ship's figurehead in the background when those titles appear.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
Evil Webmaster

Nice work with the site, it's always good to see some extras and leftovers from CMI.
So there you go
Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #10

I love the work that you do with these classic adventure games. I hope you keep it up!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #11
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Cool stuff ATM. I think I prefer the final version of the credits, but the original images are nice too. Wonder if they'd have faded in and out like the MI2 credits?

LeChuck's overhaul is interesting - his new eyes are more sinister, but his new teeth less so! Looks like they had already made the less detailed teeth standard in every other shot, though, so it makes sense for them to be consistent.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #12
gaybrush threepwoody

Definitely like the final titles better. Monkey 2's map pieces were more "rough" and looked more fitting. Since the Curse map pieces are higher-res and more "crisp", they don't look quite as cool. The full page page looks nicer.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #13
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Cool stuff ATM. I think I prefer the final version of the credits, but the original images are nice too. Wonder if they'd have faded in and out like the MI2 credits?

LeChuck's overhaul is interesting - his new eyes are more sinister, but his new teeth less so! Looks like they had already made the less detailed teeth standard in every other shot, though, so it makes sense for them to be consistent.
LeChuck's new eyes (with the normally white areas colored black) are also more consistent with the eyes he had in MI1 and MI2. In MI2 the "whites" of his eyes were black and his irises were yellow. Steve Purcell's concept art for MI1 shows something similar, just with red instead of yellow.

Of course, his eyes are red with normal-colored whites on the MI2 box art, so... who knows?

Last edited by ATMachine; 09-11-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
Staff Member

I think every change they made demo->final was positive, including the mermaid, who had zero relevance to the story.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #15
Monkey Business

Awww... nostalgic... *gone to play CMI yet again*
Old 09-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #16
Retired Buccaneer

In a similar vein of Monkey Island demos, I've finally put together a page on my site about the MI2 rolling demo I helped to crack open years ago. The SCUMM Bar once had an article about some of the changes made betwee the demo and final game, but my page goes much more in-depth.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:20 PM   #17
gaybrush threepwoody

The insane detail you go into just boggles my mind. You should write a book about all of these findings or something. Great work! Let me know if you ever need any help designing a worthy splash page for your website. I would love to do one complete with a fancy title and sound effects.

"ATMachine's Classic Adventure Game museum of oddities and rare findings"

serious! PM me.

And we need to get you your own hosted domain. I can help with that.