You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Bad news of Telltale : Bone on hold

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #21

No one does, and there's no reason to think it'll happen. But when a non-episodic gets delayed I bet you don't openly show concern for some fundamental problem with the development process. Episodic is different, therefore not to be trusted.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #22
Slim Shady

This game series is a good example of episodic gaming but such examples are quite rare.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
This game series is a good example of episodic gaming but such examples are quite rare.
Actually El Dorado's Gate isn't that good of an example of successful episodic games. There were supposed to be nine installments but they trimmed it to seven because of disappointing sales and the Dreamcast's premature death.

Last edited by Scoville; 08-29-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:17 PM   #24
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Well,I hope we don't see a thread of "Bad news of Telltale: Sam'N Max on hold " any time in the future.
News Flash: Sam & Max on Hold!

(just kidding)
Old 08-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #25
fov
Rattenmonster

Bad news? Not really... more like "no news".

The team's main focus is on Sam & Max right now, but there is some Bone work going on behind the scenes, too. Junkface's post pretty much hit the nail on the head - Telltale is a small (but growing!) company, and there's only so much a finite number of people can do at a time. The fact that Sam & Max is the focus right now doesn't change Telltale's dedication to Bone or the company's intention to keep making Bone games.

It is nice to hear that so many people are looking forward to the next Bone game. I am too. I can't wait to see how Heather, Dave, et al translate that Moby Dick dream sequence into gameplay.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:56 AM   #26
Grah! Grah!

The Moby Dick part is guaranteed to be great but what I'm really interested to see is how they handle the whole storm itself, with the chase and everything. The amount of challenges inherent in Eyes of the Storm is why I'm so looking forward to seeing a game of it; I can sort of imagine how I'd do a Sam & Max game if I were a designer but would have no idea how to even approach Eyes of the Storm - it's going to mandate some incredibly creative and intelligent design (or utterly fail.)
Old 08-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #27

I just hope they end up finishing the Bone series. Worst case scenario: Telltale closes, or cops out of finishing the series and we never have a proper concluding chapter.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #28

I'd rather wait a number of months longer for a good version of Bone than get the game earlier with too many glitches, constraints, lack of detail, etc.

Anyway, it may take longer, but it hasn't affected the budget constraint.

Quote:
this confirms that episodic games are not reliable
I don't see how holding back an episodic game back is any more unreliable than holding back a sequel. Sometimes, what's really the difference?

I have more admiration for game companies who take their time to have games made properly. Which is why I'm not happy with BS4's production company...
Old 08-30-2006, 01:58 PM   #29

Well I gotta say I don't really care that bone is being delayed..
Old 08-30-2006, 02:03 PM   #30
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville
Actually El Dorado's Gate isn't that good of an example of successful episodic games. There were supposed to be nine installments but they trimmed it to seven because of disappointing sales and the Dreamcast's premature death.
How about Siege of Avalon? That was a pretty sucessful episodic game. They even ended up publishing an anthology with all the chapters.

It's also the only example I can think of.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #31
Slim Shady

Another example could be Hack series.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Another example could be Hack series.
Oh, yeah. .hack was pretty successful. They're doing a followup series starting this fall, too. Too bad the original series wasn't very good. They basically took a twenty hour game and stretched its content over four twenty hour games. They say the new series won't be done that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi
How about Siege of Avalon? That was a pretty sucessful episodic game. They even ended up publishing an anthology with all the chapters.
I've never heard of that one. What's it about?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:01 AM   #33
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

It's an RPG. Think of a story heavy Diablo. I contributed the background story on MobyGames. You can read it either in the screenshots section (it's 3 screenshots long) or the Cover Art (2 inside covers).