You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Darkest Fear - Mobile Adventure Game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM
Default Darkest Fear - Mobile Adventure Game

Darkest Fear is the first adventure game I ever played on a mobile phone (you do not think you buy a mobile phone to phone with now do you? ).

You play as Thomas Warden, a history researcher. His wife Susan works as a doctor at Grim Oak's hospital where also their daughter Helen is a patient. One night he get's a weird phonecall from Susan and drive to the hospital, only to find that it's infected with something sinister.

Veteran adventuregamers might call it "puzzlegame with story", but it's advertised as an adventuregame, and it have a real storyline that actually have multiple endings based on some of your choices.

The view is top-down and you control Thomas with the mobile dpad. The game is played in levels, where each level represent a part of the hospital. Sometimes you only need to get to the other side, but sometimes there are other objectives that must be met to pass on. Often you meet people that you can talk to to find out more about what's going on, or you can read ledgers, books etc that is scattered around the level.

There are no weapons in the game, but you can die.
As a twist, the darkness is lethal and there are also patients in the darkness that must be saved. To get past the darkness and save the patients, you must use whatever you find to create a safe path and safespots. Objects include flashlights, lanterns, mirrors (that can reflect light in the direction they are turned), fireplaces that must be lit, crates that can be moved etc. Saving patiens gives health that can help you to reach the next level. This health will make the game less nasty when you accidently step into the darkness.

The graphics is good for the little screen and the music really gives the game a immersive feel despite being a "mobile game".

There is a sequel called "Darkest Fear: Grim Oak". I have not tried that yet but I may report about it later.

Even if you do not have a mobile capable of games like this, check out the mini adventure on the website.

http://www.rovio.com/darkestfear

If you come far in the website game, please tell me:
Spoiler:
What do you do when the girl is gone and you found your glasses after getting knocked out?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:22 AM   #2

Nothing, you can do nothing. At i ended up having nothing else to do. Even the protagonist says "Theres nothing new in here" (or sth similar)
Old 01-14-2007, 01:31 AM   #3

Default Darkest Fear

Hi there
Was wondering if you could give me afew hints, if you have completed the game? Im not all that good at gaming but this game has totally sucked me in and Im at a frustrating point where it seems impossible! Have you clocked the game??
Old 01-14-2007, 06:03 AM   #4
LA-S-LE

I think it's a nice game, especially for mobile phones. The first game is more of a puzzle game, while the sequel can be easily called "an adventure game".
Old 01-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

It's more lika a strategy game than an adventure, but it's nice.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

I have finished both the first and the second game, and the third was recently released.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjenks24
In the game darkest fear 1, Ive reached the stage where there is a big blob of a monster in the middle of the room, surrounded by boxes, and the doctor tells me I should use the light to kill him.
Ive tried using the lights and the boxes, to no avail.
Can someone give me a hint, or even better, the walkthru??
babyjenks, you already have a help thread here.

Last edited by Melanie68; 01-14-2007 at 05:16 PM.