You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Is it time for another discworld game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2006, 03:22 AM   #1
Revolution Fanatic

Default Is it time for another discworld game?

It's been a very long time since we've had a discworld adventure, I personally would like to see another game appear. Mainly since for the past two years I've started reading fiction again and it's been 90% pratchett.

So which character? Rincewind, probably not (he's had two effin games)
I think some stronger characters now exist on the disc and maybe 'Moist Von Lipwich' or William from the Truth.
As Moist has got another book being written about him then he'd probably be the best character. I'd also say Pratchett has a fairly large guranteed audience, firslty there's all the book fans and then there's the guys who lurk around here.

Just look at how good the Simon 4 screens are, btw anyone know if they are fully real time rendering?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Yes! Please!

My favorite are the Night Watch books, so I would really like a game with Vimes or Carrot as main characters, especially since I was somewhat put out by Vimes portrayal in Discworld Noir.

I wouldn't mind another Discworld with Lewton or Rincewind as the main character though. Honestly, I'd pick up a new Discworld game regardless of who (or what) the main character is, I just know beforehand I will enjoy it any which way.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Iv4n

As so many projects have been and are going to be reincarnated of old franchises, the lack of a new Dicworld game isn't that big loss. At least for me. And yeah, I'm a fan of the Discworld universe.

Screenshots of Simon 4? Where?!?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Game Creator Hobbyist

I read an interview with Pratchett some time ago where he stated that if there'd be another Discworld game it wouldn't be an adventure game. And besides, the company that made the three DW games we like is no more.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:17 PM   #5

Would love to see an adventure game based on Mort. Colour of Magic would also make a great one too.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #6

The Colour of Magic was done as a text adventure on the Spectrum ages ago. I suppose it could be re-made in all-singing, all-dancing point and click adventure format, or perhaps even as a conceptual framework for turning any of the books into a game.

I haven't read any of the books in a while. In fact, I'm fairly certain that several new ones have been written since I last read one. This limits my recommendations a bit. Ideally, I suppose it should ficus on Rincewind, as there's much more potential for travel what with his running away all of the time.

I'd go for the one where he goes to the Discworld version of Australia, mainly because I found that one particularly interesting and amusing.

That, or maybe something with the Watch. Less travel involved, but it opens the possibility of some Maniac Mansion sort of character switching.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #7

A Discworld based on the watch would be great. Think about it, solving a case with Vimes and co. Meeting characters like Detritius, Nobby, Angua, Carrot and the rest.

I'd complete the game a thousand times!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #8

It is ALWAYS time for a new Discworld game. I love that series.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #9
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist
I read an interview with Pratchett some time ago where he stated that if there'd be another Discworld game it wouldn't be an adventure game.
Link?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
Grah! Grah!

I remember reading something like that too, but don't remember it coming across as so vehemently opposed an adventure. My memory of it is more something like it probably wouldn't follow the same format as the previous games. Unfortunately, I have no idea where the interview was.

In answer to the topic question, yes, preferably from the perspective of the Watch. Of course, I doubt I've read even half the Discworld books so there's probably some other impossibly cool element I don't know about that needs to be made into a game.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:10 PM   #11

I can't imagine how a game could possibly be made out of the Discworld series that isn't an adventure. It doesn't seem to suit any other genre at all. Maybe that card game mentioned from time to time in the books, but that's unlikely to be able to stand on its own.

Granted, I don't doubt that it could be done in some way, bearing in mind games liek "Doctor Who: Dalek Attack" or any of the seemingly endless film licensed platform games that have been done, but I can't imagine it being done well, or even properly.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:26 AM   #12
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

I'm pretty sure that some sell-out developer and publisher could do a Discworld MMORPG, infact I heard there was talk about this some time ago.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:39 AM   #13
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I would love to see another discworld game but one that followed the books allot more. I dont mean just taking a story straight from a book but having the characters more like the way they were in the books. Rincewine in those first two games just didnt seem like the same one that went through all the crap from the books

A night watch game would be good, a lot of different murder cases with a larger plot going on over the background or something
There would probably be some action elements in a night watch game but that would be alright with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak
I'm pretty sure that some sell-out developer and publisher could do a Discworld MMORPG, infact I heard there was talk about this some time ago.
There is one already kinda, not official I dont think but theres a discworld MUD out there
Old 08-21-2006, 07:27 AM   #14
Adventure Game Researcher

I love Discworld I, and was just wrestling with Discworld II this weekend, trying to get it to run WITH sound on my WIN XP Pro SP2, no joy yet...but I would love to see a new DW game!

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #15

I'd have to say Vimes is the logical choice for a main character. The Discworld series has really become the adventures of Vimes. He is the main character in every other book for the past ten books or so. He is in almost every book, too.

He's also a detective which makes for a good adventurer.

I'd love to see a new game, but not in the Noir style. That game...well, it doesn't feel like Discworld. It's a good game, but it doesn't compare to the first two in terms of capturing the spirit of PTerrys' writings.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #16
Revolution Fanatic

heh! The vimes vibe is very strong here
I'd certainly prefer a game based on a later book, as Pratchett's approach to interweaven events has got stronger during the years. Night Watch was exceptional, started brilliantly and ended even better.

Interestering about a discworld MMORG, it could work as the Disc has enough diversity for everyone to pick someone different.

Though being a Golem would be cool

Iv4n, simon 4 screens are here: http://www.adventuregamers.com/screenshot.php?id=5788

It looks supurb!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Just read Moving Pictures the other day. Hilarious book.

I remember playing the first Discworld game and being pretty let down by the story. Felt more like fan service, mixing together as many books as possible, than an actual storyline fitting for a game. Never got to play the other two, sadly. Would love to see a new game either based entirely on one book, or a whole new story written by Pratchett.

TellTale, with their license-snatching, should totally go for a Discworld game.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #18
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
Just read Moving Pictures the other day. Hilarious book.

I remember playing the first Discworld game and being pretty let down by the story. Felt more like fan service, mixing together as many books as possible, than an actual storyline fitting for a game. Never got to play the other two, sadly. Would love to see a new game either based entirely on one book, or a whole new story written by Pratchett.

TellTale, with their license-snatching, should totally go for a Discworld game.
You wouldnt have liked the second one either then, there was allot of that too...I think it was mainly moving pictures and reaper man

The third was completely original though
Old 08-25-2006, 01:49 AM   #19
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi
Link?
Sorry, I can't remember where I read it.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:16 AM   #20
kamikaze hummingbirds

The third was, imo, similar to 'Feet Of Clay' or 'Men At Arms' (i forget which).

City Watch books are the best in the whole series.