You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Cryo adventure games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 03:27 AM   #21
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

I like the first Atlantis game, The Lost Tales. It's a good game.

I've got Faust, but it doesn't seem to work with XP..? Too bad if that's the case, I'd really like to play it.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:36 AM   #22
*-* §-Dark Skillz-§ *-*

Send a message via MSN to Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappapisshu
I like the first Atlantis game, The Lost Tales. It's a good game.

I've got Faust, but it doesn't seem to work with XP..? Too bad if that's the case, I'd really like to play it.
Hi Pappahishu,

rightclick your shortcut for Jazz and Faust and go to properties select the third tab "compatibility" select the first option "run this program in compatible modus"
select Win95, Win 98/Win ME or something that you think might be the best option. Press apply and you should be set, if that doesn't work go here.

Visit the next page and download the patches for faust

Jazz and Faust patch v1.1

http://www.gamershell.com/news_BJazz...1.1Patch.shtml

Jazz and Faust patch v1.2

http://www.gamershell.com/news_BJazz...1.2Patch.shtml

Last edited by Adventurer; 01-15-2004 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:05 AM   #23
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Hehe. I'm talking about Faust: Seven Games of the Soul. But thanks anyway.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:18 AM   #24
*-* §-Dark Skillz-§ *-*

Send a message via MSN to Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappapisshu
Hehe. I'm talking about Faust: Seven Games of the Soul. But thanks anyway.
ok
Old 01-15-2004, 04:18 AM   #25

In my opinion, Dune (the first one from 1992 or so), Conspiracy (KGB), Lost Eden, Gadget (the remake of Shono's game) and the Atlantis series are decent to good games developed by Cryo. Faust was only published by Cryo (developed by Arxel), and it's a game worth playing.

The rest of the Cryo titles, like Aztec, Egypt I and II, China, Versailles 1 and 2 are, indeed, pure crap.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:16 PM   #26

Send a message via ICQ to Lazy Z

"The Secret of the Nautilus" is by Cryo too, right? Is it any good? A magazine is giving it for free here this month, but I'm not sure if I should bother getting it.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:25 PM   #27

Anyboy tried that "Aliens : A Comic book adventure"? I believe it's from Cyro Interactive. How was it? I'm a fan of the Alien series.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:47 PM   #28

Odyssey was a evry good game in my opinion(if you can manage the keyboard interface), Most games from Arxel are not crap,(Have you played the legend of the propeht and assasin or RING),
In general Cryo games have stunning graphics decent stories, and the interface is always awful.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:42 AM   #29
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsey_Joe
Most games from Arxel are not crap,(Have you played the legend of the propeht and assasin or RING).
Have you played Ring2? Casanova? The Final Cut? Or their RPG game Mistmare? Even if you liked these two games, that still means most of them are crap, since they've made around 15 games to date.
I had the "pleasure" of visiting their Slovene division in Ljubljana once(just around Ring 2 developement) and i had to hold myself from yelling what a crap game this will be... and i wasn't wrong.

I think Hannibal is their last chance... if it flops i think they'll be next in line for the closure.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:58 PM   #30

I wouldn't recommend anything by Cryo (even though i liked Dune and Commander Blood). The are making beautiful empty games, as if they were suffering from the Syberia syndrome, only a 100 times stronger.
Lost Eden was one of the game that disappointed me the most, and none of their following games appealed to me in the least. Probably because they're too busy being creative to bother making a real game.

EDIT: Oh, and KGB was great, too.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:30 PM   #31
Infamous Adventurer

Send a message via AIM to Kurdt Send a message via MSN to Kurdt

I personally enjoyed Arthur's Knights I and II. The Time Machine I started but never finished, Oddyssey the same though it was a good game (what little I saw of it). The Final Cut looked okay but I wasn't overly impressed. Cryo, in the way of adventure games, essentially is in the business of Myst clones if you ask me. This made me not like them too well as I'm a 3rd person gamer myself. However, I'm starting to like The Adventure Company more and more these days. They've been supporting really good games or games with the potential to be good IMO (like Black Mirror and Project Jane Jensen). I'd be wary around Cryo, though, like they say.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:00 PM   #32

You liked Arthur's Knights? Are you serious?! Now that one I'd never heard before ..

Um .. so that I've got some idea what I'm dealing with .. what was your opinion of The Time Machine ...... ?
Old 01-21-2004, 02:58 PM   #33
Infamous Adventurer

Yeah, I didn't think I'd like it, but it was okay in my mind. The Time Machine I thought was an interesting concept, but...I dunno, it just didn't hold up to me too well. Let's put it this way: I have no intention of digging it out and playing it again any time soon. Have I now been alienated from the group, ?

I actually never was able to start Arthur's Knights II because the sprites would never show up for me. Neither the main characters nor anything else (i.e. open doors or anything) would be visible. I never cared to pursue solving the problem, though.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #34

was just questioning your sanity, is all

Time Machine is the worst game I've ever played, pretty much .. and Arthur's Knights is a close second (though, there was a lot of confusion with US/UK names, so that I don't know if what I played was I or II)

You can check out the GameSpy review I wrote if you wanna see what a tongue-lashing I gave it Time Machine, I bailed out of reviewing altogether. It was that bad.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:29 PM   #35
Umbilicus Mundi

Can anyone explain what's the relationship between Cryo, DreamCatcher and TAC?

Old 01-21-2004, 03:38 PM   #36

Cryo was a developer that also published games in Europe. Dreamcatcher used to publish most (or all?) of its games in the US. Then Cryo went bankrupt and it was eaten up by Dreamcatcher. Also, Dreamcatcher decided to split into two parts: Dreamcatcher Games, which makes games of other genres, and The Adventure Company, which makes adventures [many of which are sequels to Cryo games].
Old 01-21-2004, 03:54 PM   #37
Infamous Adventurer

Quote:
Time Machine is the worst game I've ever played, pretty much .. and Arthur's Knights is a close second (though, there was a lot of confusion with US/UK names, so that I don't know if what I played was I or II)
The only real problem with Time Machine is that it had absolutely nothing to do at all with the book, save the main character's name being Wells and him coming from late 19th century London. Then it turned out he had some sort of superpower called...what was it? Jad Garrul or something like that...whatever. Like I said, the concept was interesting, the game was not. Arthur's Knights was better. Regardless, neither of them are the worst games I've ever played, not by far. There are some reeeeaaallllly bad games out there that can outclass Time Machine and Arthur's Knights.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:47 PM   #38
Umbilicus Mundi

Thanx, Tamara.

I just looked up the Dune games and indeed, the first Dune was developed by Cryo and published by Virgin in 1992. Frank Herbert's Dune however was developed by Widescreen Games and published by Cryo in 2001. The other's are strategy games from Westwood.

I also tried the demo of Frank Herbert's Dune, and it seemed like it could have been good, but everything was badly implemented I once remember reading that some former Outcast developers were developing Frank Herbert's Dune, but this demo at least is not even close to Outcast's quality.

Old 01-22-2004, 11:14 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt
There are some reeeeaaallllly bad games out there that can outclass Time Machine and Arthur's Knights.
*shudder* dare I ask?
Old 02-20-2004, 09:22 PM   #40

[QUOTE=wilco]I recently saw at a local store a number of budget games that were released by Cryo i think : Atlantis II, Time Machine, Faust, Odyssey (dont know if this is the correct name), frank Herberts Dune, Egypt, etc. Anyone played these games?

Odyssey is an absolute gem - awesome adventure game that no one talks about. Outstanding roller-coaster storyline, wildly diverse scenes, great graphics for its time (2000), loved the soundtrack, some VERY difficult puzzles and secrets to find. Best part about it is each "mission" is completely different and unpredictable from the next.

Negative of the game for some was very little combat, which to me is a refreshing quality in games today. Also one crucial puzzle at the end is almost impossible without using hints.

I dont know what some of the Cryo-bashers are talking about - the 3-D engine for this game was great - multiple angle views, great landscape depth and explorability and multiple endings.

Buy it, play it, enjoy it - I absolutely loved it.